Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Explore Subscribe & Save across Household brands Shop now The Equalizer 2 The Equalizer 2 The Equalizer 2 Learn more Learn more Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

4 October 2016
To start off with I just love the book cover for Dark Water, it’s peaceful yet disturbing. I know they always say never judge a book by it’s cover but I can’t help myself and if I walked into a shop and saw this I would automatically pick it up.

Dark Water is set in Orkney and I loved the descriptiveness throughout the book, the setting you get a real feel for and it really gives you a sense of Orkney living, a small community where everyone knows everyone. I could smell the sea air as I was reading and just fell totally into the story.

Helena has returned to Orkney after living in London for over 10 years and as Helena readjusts she is haunted by memories of her childhood and her best friend Anastasia. I loved how we were taken back in time through Helena’s memories, meeting Anastasia and seeing how things were for Helena in her teenage years and slowly finding out how she became so haunted by Anastasias disappearance.

This is not just a coming of age story, it’s a story about friendship, sadness, tragedy, love and family. The characters are all very believable and really draw you in so you feel connected to them and can relate to some of the teenage memories, like the feeling you had when your best friend had a boyfriend, the little bit of jealousy, that feeling that the boy was taking your friend away.

I didn’t actually see the full genre of this book until after I read it and just saw the coming of age description but as I was reading I felt a real angst, an anxiety that I just couldn’t put my finger on but then it hut me and I was totally blown away.

This really is a cracking atmospheric story that made me sad, happy and also gave me shivers. It’s so cleverly written and really pulled me into the story, making me feel haunted like Helena. I had goose bumps reading it.

This is Sara Baileys debut novel and it’s just marvellous. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and I’m really looking forward to reading more from this fabulous author. This being a debut I’m really excited to see what Sara Bailey has up here sleeve next
3 people found this helpful