30 May 2019
A funny and heart-warming tale of a foster carer and her charges. The author is a natural born story teller who describes the children who come into her care with affection and tenderness. Told with wit and self-deprecating humour the book opens with the first little boys that arrive at her door and the steep learning curve which follows.

There are some huge laugh out loud moments, too many to mention in a single review but, for me, two standout.
There is Brian who is seven going on seventy, knows the meaning of the word ‘obtuse’ and favours couscous or hummus for his tea. The scene involving the aeroplane museum and Brian’s role as a pilot was hilarious. “Enemy territory, prepare for crash landing.” I think I did actually brace myself and when he said “Bang” I jumped.” Then there is Jamie, the swimming pool changing rooms and the toe-curling questions about the birds and the bees. “Look Claire, it’s furry!”. I’ll leave you to work out what that was in reference too!

I really enjoyed this short and very readable book. I’m full of admiration for the work the author does and I do hope that she finds out what has happened to the little boys who passed through her life.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink