Profile for marek > Reviews

Content by marek

marek "Wazzock" (West Midlands, UK)

Open Up Your Colouring Book
Open Up Your Colouring Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush and gorgeous, 30 April 2014
David Scott is a natural successor to the Bacharach crown of superb arrangements and orchestration. You can just lose yourself in the Pearlfishers' recordings. This is great, which is enough.

Seasons On Earth
Seasons On Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 14 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Seasons On Earth (Audio CD)
This is probably my album of the year. Striking, clear, expressive vocals. Folk leaning but the tunes have their own character. The occasional pedal steel in the background is the icing on the cake.

Gown
Gown
Offered by vsmusic_com_us

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a grower, 20 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Gown (Audio CD)
Intrigued by a review in, I think, Mojo, I got hold of a copy of the album. Wasn't sure what to make of it at first, but I have a bed pillow that you can plug your ipod into, so I did just that. Eyes closed and relaxed was my way of getting into this, let it wash over you. It's a grower the more you listen to the songs. I understand the earlier review reference to Kate Bush and there are several touch points here, but most importantly this is different from a shed load that's around at present, which is probably recommendation enough.

Passion Play
Passion Play
Offered by Horray for Summer!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I have heard the future of Folk, 15 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Passion Play (Audio CD)
Actually I know next to nothing about Folk but....the phrasing is right, the vocals are etheral and the subject matter delves well outside the mainstream. In short we're in the right neck of the woods. However, what we have is a template for the current century. The songs merge influences and styles creating something new in the process. This is by no means easy listening, you cannot anticipate much of what you hear but it is an exciting exploration of sound.
The staging of standout track "Turpin" (about the highwayman!) will have the Folk police scouring thier songbooks for its origins whilst Adam Ant would turn in his grave for the sheer front and bravado of its performance.
There is nothing comparible to this out there at the moment, which makes it unique and fascinating. There is something going on here and not knowing exactly what makes it all the more appealing.
The future of Folk?.....possibly not...but it wouldn't surprise me if one or two ideas from here crop up elsewhere in the coming months. If you want something new and challenging, here it is
Remember....you read it here first.