Profile for Jane > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lie With Me: the gripping, twisty suspense bestseller - a perfect summer read
Lie With Me: the gripping, twisty suspense bestseller - a perfect summer read

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read but..., 27 April 2017
I found this book really gripping. Wasn't entirely convinced by the explanation of it all at the end though.

The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
The Trouble with Goats and Sheep

2.0 out of 5 stars liked the writing style but too long and boring., 20 April 2017
Sometimes i thought the writing itself was brilliant . But all the characters confused me. Thes story was very slow and drawn out. I gave up half way through.

Everything That Remains: A Memoir by The Minimalists
Everything That Remains: A Memoir by The Minimalists

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes inspiring, sometimes irritating, 28 Feb. 2017
Sometimes when you read a book, you want to meet the author. In this case I didn't. I found him a bit smug and self-satisfied. And sometimes quite long-winded, making the same points over and over again. He says he has a passion for writing, but I found his writing a bit klunky at times, almost trying too hard.
And the author's 'sidekick', Ryan, is REALLY irritating. Every so often there's a 'footnote' by Ryan, who obviously thinks he's some sort of comedian, with his 'witty' wisecracks. Honestly, they add nothing to the book, they're just annoying, like some private joke between Ryan and the author.
BUT the book gave me things to think about. There's probably a better book (for me) about minimalism, and I hope I find it. But in the meantime, this book introduced some new ideas. And I liked that.

Plastic Cyclamen with 7 cerise-coloured blossoms, 10" / 25 cm - Artificial flower / Artificial cyclamen - artplants
Offered by artplants

5.0 out of 5 stars Look very natural, 23 Nov. 2016
I have window boxes in my upstairs windows, which are very hard to reach. It was a lot of work having real plants up there so I had the bright ideas to get some plastic flowers, choosing a type that were in season so that they would (hopefully) look real. I have planted 7 of these cyclamens and they look very natural from a few yards distance, you would never guess they were fake.They survived a storm at the weekend (although I have to say they are in a very sheltered spot). I'm going to buy some more for the other window box now.

The Wonder
The Wonder
by Emma Donoghue

3.0 out of 5 stars then pretty bored for most of the book, 29 Oct. 2016
This review is from: The Wonder (Hardcover)
I was intrigued for the first chapter or 2, then pretty bored for most of the book. I just thought it went on too long with nothing happening. However I was intrigued enough by the unusual story to skim-read it to the end to find out what happened. I liked the ending. Just thought the middle needed some pruning.

The Brontës: A Life in Letters
The Brontës: A Life in Letters

5.0 out of 5 stars I was surprised by how much this book affected me, 22 Jun. 2016
I was hesitant to order this book as I've never read a book of letters before and I thought it might be boring (plus is was £12.99 - ouch!). But, having just read Jane Eyre, I was very curious to know what sort of a person could have written it. I don't like biographies, so I thought, well, it's a book of letter, or nothing. I did get a bit bored in the beginning, but I stuck with it and about a quarter of the way through, I got hooked. I became completely fascinated with the many facets of the Brontes' lives. The fact that the book is in effect written by the Brontes (mainly Charlotte, who is a very interesting person, not dissimilar in personality to Jane Eyre) made it seem very immediate and vivid. I actually felt quite bereft when Charlotte died.

Flubenvet Layers Pellets 20kg
Flubenvet Layers Pellets 20kg
Offered by Romsley Country Store Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 hungry chickens, 22 Jun. 2016
My 4 chickens are hardly touching it. They're used to Layers Mash as they're ex-battery. It's day 4 now and they must be so hungry, I feel quite bad for them. But I'll stick with it till day 7. The Use By date is very short, only a month.

The Girl You Left Behind
The Girl You Left Behind

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed it., 29 April 2016
A gripping story (well, 2 stories actually). I really enjoyed it.

Life After You
Life After You
by Lucie Brownlee

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't imagine a better account of the stages of grief, 29 April 2016
This review is from: Life After You (Paperback)
A harrowing, compelling, moving book. I felt I lived every page. My sympathies were completely with Lucie Brownlee as she lived this awful 2 years of her life. I can't imagine a better account of the stages of grief. One tiny niggle was the use of a capital 'H' whenever she referred to her late husband as 'He', 'Him', etc. At first I thought it must be a misprint, but it wasn't. But it seems unkind to criticise this book in any way. This woman bares her soul.

Early One Morning
Early One Morning

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long, 23 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Early One Morning (Kindle Edition)
It hooks you in at the start but I thought it should have been about two-thirds the length. Found myself skimming it just to get to the interesting bits where something actually happens.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3