Profile for DNY > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Rottner 5329 20-Keytronic
Rottner 5329 20-Keytronic

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay..., 8 April 2015
"It's okay" kind of sums it up perfectly. Its not the best made safe in the world, its not the strongest, it's not the nicest looking, it's not made from the best materials. With all this in mind, it's not going to earn it self 5 stars, but it actually does the job it's designed for, well.

We keep our spare keys in here, so its not like we're storing hugely valuable and important keys in it. Our car keys are too large to store in this, because the battery and electronic compartment that controls the key pad is the size of a small family car, which is annoying, because you're left to store keys at the bottom of the safe rather than on the hooks. Which again is why it won't earn 5 stars, admittedly this would probably earn less, but we don't have many keys, so just 'dumping' them at the bottom of the safe over night, actually works out ok for us. Do keep this in mind though, if you intend to get this safe, be sure to keep keys in bunches of around 3 and any large key /fobs, such as those for a car will need to be kept at the bottom of the safe. We have 4 car fobs/keys kept here and thats about all it fits, the rest are bunches of no more than 3 keys. spread across the 3 rows of hooks.

Fitting the safe was a bit annoying as well, I'm lazy so I used an electric screwdriver, but the two screws on the right hand side, are directly behind the hinges for the door, so my screwdriver wouldn't fit, couldn't even get a manual one to fit, had to use the driver 'screw bit' plus a molegrip to tighten them up. The screws also stop a row of hooks from sitting at the top of the safe, which all points to bad design.

It's a thick metal box to safely store a handful of keys in, from opportunistic thieves, for this it's fine; if you're expecting more, look elsewhere and expect to pay more.

Bosch AHS 50-16 Electric Hedgecutter (50 cm Blade, 16 mm Tooth Capacity)
Bosch AHS 50-16 Electric Hedgecutter (50 cm Blade, 16 mm Tooth Capacity)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamed garden, 8 April 2015
This is a great time saving tool for any one with hedges and bushes. It cuts through ours like butter. When you do hit a thicker branch that its not too keen to cut in one go, I tend to just keep going at it in waves and it eventually cuts it. I'm actually very impressed at how strong this is for the price we paid for it. We tried the battery version of this and it ran out far too quickly for what was needed. I'd rather be sitting in my garden, rather than waiting around for batteries to charge and having to do it by hand whilst I wait. With this you don't need to worry about charging times, just make sure you've got an extension lead (the attached lead is not very long) and you're all set! The benefit, is that if it does struggle it has all the power it needs on tap, to tackle any hurdles.

The blade includes a fiddly cover that I guess protects it or rather you from it. I'll be honest, I'm probably going to throw it away, its a bit of a hassle trying to put it back on and mine will be staying in the shed when not in use and there a far sharper objects in there than this, so it's a bit silly in my view. The blade it self is a perfect length, just long enough to be able to cut horizontally and vertically in just a few strides. For me, theres no need for a step ladder or squeezing myself onto the other side of the hedge, as this is the perfect length.

I have found that holding it up after a while, it does tend to feel quite heavy but I would think most things would, if you held it above shoulder height for long. For under £40 this is a true bargain and I would not hesitate to recommend it to friends and family (although, they'll likely just borrow mine now). Even at the full RRP this is still a good purchase.

Seagate 1TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive
Seagate 1TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive
Offered by Take a Bite

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it., 30 Mar. 2015
I bought 4 of these in 2013, all failed within a few weeks of each other just under a month ago. They were used in a server that was was running for about 12 hours every day, so they didn't have an easy life nor was it overly taxing. The server was setup in a raid configuration so 2 would mirror the other 2, to have all 4 fail meant I lost all of my data. Luckily it was still on the computers.

I bought WD red hard drives to replace them and they're far better.

Miracle-Gro Expand 'n Gro Concentrated Enriched Compost 18 Litres (expands to 50 Litres)

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't lucky with this., 30 Mar. 2015
I bought this to use for plug plants and seeds. I originally tried mixing it in a bucket, but mine just didn't expand, despite string it for what seemed like ages. My bag also contained a lot of large hard lumps and what looked like clumps of roots and paper shredding. I even pulled out a strand of plastic. I gave up and went back to buy normal compost.

The plants that were planted in this seem to be doing fine though, but despite being soaked by a misting system, the soil still has yet to expand beyond what I placed in the pots.

Access Growhouse, Mini Greenhouse, Cold Frame
Access Growhouse, Mini Greenhouse, Cold Frame
Offered by Access Garden Products

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it but can't say i'd recommend it., 29 Mar. 2015
I love mine, but its far from perfect and its been a mixed experience for me. It's also pretty expensive considering its not an actual walk in green house. However, it was just what I needed and filled the space required, I was originally going to buy a full sized greenhouse but this is the first time we've done anything like this, so I thought i'd see how green fingered I really am first, before committing to a proper one. This was the perfect little 'starter set' for me and much better than the plastic/wooden framed versions available elsewhere on Amazon. I bought this, along with the shelves, centre staging and watering system thats available for it. Despite its size, it offers a lot of space, the shelves can be placed in any order you want, or fold them away when not in use, with the extra add ons we purchased this has increased the space even more and the watering system means that at the turn of a tap for just a few minutes, the watering is done for me, so its pretty low maintenance. The instructions are for the most part; plain and simple, there a few confusing points, for example it tells you not to tighten up the bolts, but eventually you start to cover up some of the bolts with other parts, so there comes a point where you realise you've got to tighten some of them up, but the instructions doesn't mention when the right stage to tighten them is, so you end up just tightening them all as you go along. There's also long white washers, that if you follow the order the instructions state, you end up with large gaps, so I just left these out. I emailed Access for help, but no reply. Electric screwdriver is a must! It took me a few hours to put this together on my own and without the electric screwdriver I'd have been building it all night, this is more on my part than the instructions though and it was a fairly pleasant DIY build.

The top glass sheets require you to rub candle wax into / on the metal channel that holds them but nothing was supplied. So my top sheets of glass don't move, as they scratch each other / friction prevents it, Without the addon packs, the top sheets also don't have handles, which would have been useful. Thankfully the add ons included long handles, so we put the original short handles on the top sheets. Although they still don't move until I can be bothered to order some candles... at the price, a bit of wax or coating of some sort should have been included or designed better so that the action was smooth without the need for wax. The glass across the entire frame also rests loosely in the channels, these rock and shake in the wind. You're given these small rubber stops, to squeeze between the glass and the frame to prevent this but these just keep falling out, again a pretty poor design flaw, that could have easily been avoided. These same channels, also collect rain water and dirt easily, mine was pretty full after just a week, factors such as location will have an impact, it does come with a 25 year guarantee, so that gives some peace of mind if it does start to rust.

The customer service from access has also been hit and miss for me. I've not had a single email replied to but when you phone them with a query it depends on who deals with the call as to the level of service you get, for the most part they're friendly though. For instance, I ordered the watering system on a Monday and it was due to arrive on Tuesday. I phoned on Wednesday after nothing turned up, to be told its just sitting in their warehouse still, no reason why, no attempt to contact me and no apology - It was sent out after I phoned.

PLASTIC YELLOW PLANT / SEED LABELS 4 INCH (100)
PLASTIC YELLOW PLANT / SEED LABELS 4 INCH (100)
Offered by Premier Seeds Direct Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 29 Mar. 2015
These are extremely handy. We use the white ones to label flowers and these yellow tags to label vegetables. Its the first time we've tried to grow stuff and its so easy to forget whats what. These help us easily see whats growing and where at just a glance. We write on them as well, but this didn't come with a pen. They arrived quickly (within 48 hours of ordering) and the quality is good, quite a decent thickness considering what they're used for.

The one shortfall is that these are more expensive than the white tags and the pack does not include a pen. Luckily we bought the white tags first, which came with a free pen. I would happily buy these again, i'll just need to remember to check I have a permanent marker.

Speck SeeThru Hard Shell Case Cover for 13 inch MacBook Pro - Clear
Speck SeeThru Hard Shell Case Cover for 13 inch MacBook Pro - Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars Macbook protector, 2 Mar. 2015
Great protective case, it keeps my Macbook safe, without ruining the look or feel of it, or adding to much weight to it. Unfortunately within an hour of putting the case on, I crashed my mini helicopter into it, scratching it up (yes, I am an adult!) This oddly made me love it even more as it genuinely saved my Macbook from certain destruction (or rather, damage)!

A year on and I still have the same case on my Macbook, its worse for wear, but when I take it off the Macbook is like new still, so its a valiant protector and one in which I would not hesitate to buy again should I ever be so stupid to fly my mini helicopter inside the house again, let alone near my Macbook!

Male Chimney Sweep Costume - Fits Up to 42" chest
Male Chimney Sweep Costume - Fits Up to 42" chest
Offered by The Hubs

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice costume, 2 Mar. 2015
Bit weary of this sort of thing as have had some shockingly poor quality costumes in the past. This however was a pleasant surprise. It wasn't amazing quality but it wasn't terrible either. The waste coat came as part of the shirt (as in you can't take it off, they are sewn as one item) The hat made me look a bit like a train driver more than anything else and this earn quite a few laughs, I think it was at me, rather than with me, but all in the spirit of the night!

It was well received at the party and luckily I was the only one dressed up as this, which is always a plus! I'm really pleased with it, it served its purpose for the night and didn't fall apart.

Unipet Wild Bird Suet Value Insect Block 300 g (Pack of 10)
Unipet Wild Bird Suet Value Insect Block 300 g (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product but go for Fat balls instead, 2 Mar. 2015
There is a squirrel the size of a wheelie bin, in our garden thanks to these. The squirrel loved it so much, it pretty much ate the entire block in a couple of days. We will now be placing these in caged feeders. When the birds did get a chance to eat it, they did so and it looked as though they rather enjoyed it.

Value wise, I think the Fat Balls are cheaper and give the same results (birds feeding), you also need to either break these up (we did) to fit into a normal feeder or buy a dedicated block feeder. It seems a bit much to be honest and slightly wasteful as the block feeders are only good for this time of food and whilst I wouldn't buy these again (i'd go for the fat balls instead), I wouldn't hesitate to buy from the brand as these have gone down well with the little birds in our garden.

De'Longhi KBOV3001.BG 3 Kilowatt Vintage Icona Dolcevita Jug Kettle - Cream
De'Longhi KBOV3001.BG 3 Kilowatt Vintage Icona Dolcevita Jug Kettle - Cream
Offered by Executivez

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great., 2 Mar. 2015
Really surprising, how much I like this. Originally I wanted a different kettle, but clearly, I don't wear the trousers in our household, so we got this instead! In the shop it looks a cheap and nasty, but when its actually in our kitchen, it looks fantastic. Its not made from the best materials and there are already small scratches here and there where the lid has been taken off / put back on again we've only had the kettle for two days, so this doesn't bode well for longevity.

I like the smaller details that they've gone too with this, such as the pouring spout, it doesn't drip at all, even when nearing the end of pouring, it just allows you to control it nicely with no mess.

Inside the kettle is also a marking to show where the max line is, which is a nice touch as you wouldn't be able to see the water line when filling it up. Its a small touch I know and not a deal breaker, but it just goes to show that whoever designed it, genuinely put thought and user experience consideration into it.

It boils quickly, I think. To be honest, I don't time it. I've got better things to do, equally I don't find myself thinking 'Thats taking a long time to boil' so it must be good enough. Its doesn't feel any slower than our previous kettle. It's relatively noisy for a kettle but nothing to moan about. It's not a deal breaker. The plastic-ey taste mentioned in other reviews is non existent in ours, as theres not a single plastic component within the inside of the kettle, so not sure what Kettle they've got. We rinsed and boiled it as per the instructions and our first cups of tea were lovely, no odd tastes at all.

Overall we're really happy with it, not so much the price but when we had a look in some shops, virtually all kettles on display, were around the same price if not more, so I won't grumble too much. If it lasts a fair few years and looks just as good as it does today, it'll get the additional 5th Star.

On a side note, she's just bought the matching Toaster, so she must be happy with it...!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2015 3:14 PM GMT