Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop now
Profile for tonyinselby > Reviews

Content by tonyinselby

tonyinselby "tonywalton" (Selby. England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
AmazonBasics USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub; Bus-powered
AmazonBasics USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub; Bus-powered

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, simple and does what it's supposed to., 3 Sept. 2016
Cheap, simple and does what it's supposed to. Even works with my USBtg tablet. What's not to like?

Broken Promise: (Promise Falls Trilogy Book 1)
Broken Promise: (Promise Falls Trilogy Book 1)
by Linwood Barclay

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken Promise is a good description, 3 Sept. 2016
Thank you Amazon reviewers for saving me the bother of reading this to the end. I was ploughing through this. Too many things were happening to too many people. Everybody was involved, everybody had A Past (too many dark and unresolved references to "what happened back then" or "the way your wife went"). With the thing about three quarters through (and the plot about 110% worked out) I came here to find out if others had found it as much unmitigated rubbish as I did. Turns out it ends on a cliffhanger, tempting you to read the next one of this unannounced trilogy. My criterion for "one star" is "couldn't be bothered to finish it". And I couldn't.

Vonets VAP11G WiFi Bridge Dongle - Wireless Networks Access Point
Vonets VAP11G WiFi Bridge Dongle - Wireless Networks Access Point
Offered by Feeego

5.0 out of 5 stars Does just what I want (after some fiddly setup), 3 Aug. 2016
Does exactly what I want (connects my TV to the Internet wirelessly). No setup CD required; you set it up wirelessly via an on-device web page. Setup was a little fiddly and I had to do a factory reset (which is dead easy). Everything went fine the second time round. Why are these devices not better-known?

Die of Shame: Includes short story exclusive to hardback
Die of Shame: Includes short story exclusive to hardback
by Mark Billingham

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls short. Good research but lazy plotting, 7 Jun. 2016
Billingham has obviously done his research into group therapy, but the plot gets a little weak. This is a classic "any one of them could have done it" mystery, with four possible murderers having possible motives and opportunities, but the author has cheated the reader with several "so he told her what happened" passages without divulging "what happened" to the reader. A cheap way of trying to maintain interest. For example the identity of the murderer is reasonably obvious early on, but the motive comes with an utterly undisclosed fact. Poor stuff from Mark Billingham. A couple of central characters (no spoiler: the therapist's wife and daughter) could have been much better written.

Pan
Pan
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, even if a close relative is in this, 21 April 2016
This review is from: Pan (Amazon Video)
I know I'm not the target demographic for this, but I'm not the target demographic for Monsters Inc or Despicable Me either, and I enjoyed those immensely. To come clean, my nephew F is in this (as an extra; he's one of the Lost Boys) so I watched this, or rather started watching this, to play "spot the nephew". Sorry, F, but I couldn't spot you. That's because I could only stand about 10 minutes of this garbage. I got as far as the CGI pirate ships landing in a crater (following an inexplicable dogfight with the RAF) to everybody singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and gave up. DVD ejected. Perhaps the rest of the movie was really good. Perhaps F was seen eating porridge next to (as he put it) "somebody famous but he can't remember their name". I shall never know. Sorry, nephew, but I really could not hack any more of this.

Plug-In NIGHT LIGHT WITH SOCKET Soft White - with long life LED's
Plug-In NIGHT LIGHT WITH SOCKET Soft White - with long life LED's
Offered by Altomond

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit, worth the money, 26 Oct. 2015
Does the job admirably. A nice gentle light, but bright enough that my 83-year-old mother can see in the hallway if she needs to get up in the night. No fiddling with switches and the through socket means that a socket isn't lost when this is plugged in.
One word of caution though: the packaging states that to test you should cover up the sensor on the front of the device and the light will come on. Perhaps I have unusually translucent fingers but this has never worked for me. I was on the verge of sending this back as the light wouldn't come on when I blocked the sensor, when I noticed the light, plugged in in a dark hallway, was on. In fact it works fine

SuperTooth Buddy 2.1 Handsfree Bluetooth Visor Car Kit with In-Car Phone Holder - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money, 17 Oct. 2015
Complete rubbish. Drops about one in three calls, about three out of four calls are inaudible to the person at the other end. On the odd occasion a two-way call is actually possible the speech quality is so bad in-car that all you can do is shout "IF YOU CAN HEAR ME I'LL CALL YOU BACK". I've gone back to my cheapo Bluetooth earpiece, which works 100% of the time (so the problems aren't down to my phone). Don't waste your money on one of these.

Tales From A Country Practice
Tales From A Country Practice
by Dr Arthur Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many ducks, not enough doctoring, 13 Oct. 2015
This book is wrongly titled. It should be called "Tales from a Duck Farm". We're told far too much about the trials and tribulations of running a duck farm on a semiprofessional basis (sometimes to a tedious level of detail) with the actual doctoring a bit of a distraction from feeding the broody bantams.

Scotts Miracle-Gro EverGreen Handy Spreader
Scotts Miracle-Gro EverGreen Handy Spreader
Offered by Severn DIY

1.0 out of 5 stars Better by hand, 27 April 2015
I used one of these three times. The first time the handle was stiff, leading to uneven spread, the second time it was very stiff, leading to hardly any spread and the third time the handle snapped off, leading to the thing being chucked away. You'd be better avoiding one of these and spreading lawn fertilizer by hand. Very disappointing.

Asterix and the Picts: Album 35
Asterix and the Picts: Album 35
by Jean-Yves Ferri

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing effort, 20 Mar. 2015
The drawings are almost there, but the story's not. One of the joys of the original Asterix books for me was the translation - unless you knew they weren't originally in English you simply couldn't tell. The original story and use of language was so good that it bore translation (and occasional rewriting) without suffering in the least. The jokes in this one are weak to nonexistent, presumably the translators were given very little to go on in the first place. And there seems to be a complete lack of satire (imagine the fun Goscinny would have had with the census-taker. Here he just comes and tries to take a census).
Hopefully future efforts by Ferri will improve on this rather limp offering. 1 star for words, 4 for pictures.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5