Profile for Mr. A. Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Williams

Mr. A. Williams (United Kingdom)

James Martin ZX789 by Wahl Spice Grinder - White/Black
James Martin ZX789 by Wahl Spice Grinder - White/Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Quality, 1 Jun. 2013
Seriously, don't waste your time with this contraption - buy something else instead! I've owned one for three days, used it twice and already a plastic washer has come loose under the blades and the black cap on top of the blades came off during a grind and got partially ground up with the spices.

Also, it says in the instructions that you can remove the bowl and wash it. I washed the bowl on mine a few days ago and water got inside between the plastic and metal bowl and now it won't drain out. Very poor quality in my opinion.

Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
by Caldwell B. Esselstyn

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read and food for thought (no pun intended), 31 Dec. 2009
I bought this as a Christmas present for someone in 2008 who has a family history of heart disease and has undergone bypass surgery. He assures me that he's read it but I've yet to decided.

Having taken a glimpse at the book myself it's basically about how a fat-free vegan diet can prevent and cure heart disease. Half of the book contains recipes and the other half is about heart disease etc.

It's certainly food for thought.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2010 10:25 PM BST

Chasseur Casserole, round, 18cm, 1.5ltr Chilli Red
Chasseur Casserole, round, 18cm, 1.5ltr Chilli Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 31 Dec. 2009
Not much you can really write about a cast iron pan, other than it's a great quality pan and with the right care will most probably last a lifetime...

This pan is a great size for two people and I purchased it mainly for cooking curries, casseroles, and stews.

Prestige Smartplus Quick and Easy Pressure Cooker, 3 Litre
Prestige Smartplus Quick and Easy Pressure Cooker, 3 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and does the job, 31 Dec. 2009
I purchased this pressure cooker a few days ago and since its arrival it's had quite a lot of use. I also own the prestige 6L stainless steel pressure cooker (which I would recommend) and that one tends to gets all the big jobs. This 3L pressure cooker is an ideal size for one or two people, but the main reason I bought it was for cooking beans, lentils and rice - for which it really is ideal.

It only has the one pressure setting (12psi), but it comes to pressure quickly and does exactly what it says. Unlike other prestige pressure cookers this one doesn't come with a trivet or a recipe book - which isn't the end of the world.

I would definitely recommend this pressure cooker to anyone, I'm really pleased that I bought it!!

Foods of the Maya: A Taste of the Yucatan
Foods of the Maya: A Taste of the Yucatan
by Nancy Gerlach

3.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 31 Dec. 2009
I visited the Yucatan a few yeas ago and I fell in love with the local cuisine. I bought this book a few months ago - along with another Mayan cookbook - and I have to say that it's a nice little book for the money. It's not illustrated but it contains a ton of information about the Mayans and their culture. I've only tried one of the recipes from this book so far, but I do intend to try more soon. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in Mayan cooking.

Mayan Cuisine: Recipes from the Yucatan Region
Mayan Cuisine: Recipes from the Yucatan Region
by Daniel Hoyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic illustrated book, 31 Dec. 2009
A few years ago I visited the Yucatan, and being a lover of spicy food I really enjoyed the local cuisine. I decided to buy this book a few months ago and since then I've tried a number of the recipes - and all with good results. The book itself is really well illustrated and contains a wealth of information about the Mayans and Mayan cuisine. I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Mayan food.

Prestige Smartplus Aluminium Pressure Cooker, 5 Litre
Prestige Smartplus Aluminium Pressure Cooker, 5 Litre

1.0 out of 5 stars Tread carefully with this one..., 31 Dec. 2009
I received this pressure cooker as a Christmas present and I can honestly say that I'm not impressed at all. I don't use aluminium cookware and the one thing that concerned me with this cooker was all the aluminium particles coming from opening and closing the lid. If you rub your finger on the locking device inside the handle on the lid it leaves a metallic smear on your finger. Each to their own, but I won't be cooking anything in this pressure cooker.

When I tried it for the first time on boxing day the pan wouldn't retain any pressure, the indicator came up but the steam started escaping straight away - which would indicate that there was no pressure building up in the pan. Using the quick release method would remove any bit of pressure in the pan in about 4 seconds, and the slow release method took about 10 seconds. I called prestige a few days later and they agreed to send out a new valve and gasket, I replace those this morning and the pan still won't retain any pressure. Having decided not to cook anything in this pressure cooker I won't be pursuing the problem any further - personally I think the problem is with the weight.

I own the 6L stainless steel and 3L stainless steel prestige pressure cookers and I can't fault either of them, but if anyone is thinking of buying this 5L aluminium pressure cooker then I would recommend that they tread carefully.

Prestige Smartplus Stainless Steel 6 Litre Pressure Cooker - Silver
Prestige Smartplus Stainless Steel 6 Litre Pressure Cooker - Silver
Offered by Cochranes Of Ayr

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 31 Dec. 2009
I bought this pressure cooker about a year ago and have used it nearly every day since, so far I've only needed to replace the gasket. Occasionally I take it to pieces to give it a good clean and it's really easy to do. I have no complaints about this product and I would recommend it to anyone.