Profile for Kat Doherty > Reviews

Kat Doherty (Middx UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmm!, 19 Sept. 2014
Mmmmm, Fazer Salmiakki! It is just gorgeous and that is all.

If you don't like liquorice you probably won't agree, and if you don't like salty liquorice then you'll certainly disagree. I doubt you'll get much joy eating it if you don't like chocolate, but then it would be a bit daft of you reading a review of a chocolate bar!

However, if you love chocolate you should try Fazer, they do some gorgeous stuff. If you also like salty liquorice then here is heaven in a bar.

My daughter thinks it's pronounced 'some yucky'. It sounds quite funny hearing her ask for 'some yucky chocolate'.

Thermos Stainless King Food Flask - 470 ml, Midnight Blue
Thermos Stainless King Food Flask - 470 ml, Midnight Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars My son is happy and eating a better lunch than when he was ..., 19 Sept. 2014
I bought this for my son as his younger sisters were having hot school meals, but not his year group. I didn't want him to miss out (and hoped to get out of cooking an evening meal!)
The first day he had chicken and pasta that had been cooked the night before. I boiled the kettle and filled the flask with just boiled water & put the lid on. Then I heated the food to 'a bit too hot to eat' (Not an actual setting on the microwave), poured out the water and put the food in the flask, then lid back on, so there was no cooling time.
At 3:30, when he came out of school, he still had some food left in the bottom of the flask, so I tested its temperature. It was still warm! I made it up at 8:00 a.m, so it was warm but not hot 7 hours later. (This was also just a small amount in the bottom, so it wasn't the food keeping itself warm by sheer volume, if you see what I mean) I haven't used it for cold food yet.
My son is happy and eating a better lunch than when he was taking sandwiches, so I'm happy and would recommend this product.

Complete Finnish Beginner to Intermediate Course: Book/CD Pack: New edition (Teach Yourself)
by Terttu Leney

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I understand a little Finnish - and can say so, in Finnish!, 30 Jun. 2014
This is a fantastic guide to learning the language. It gives useful phrases early on, but isn't just a phrasebook, as the reader is encouraged to think about what they're learning and picks up grammar on the way. For instance, on the section about introducing yourself and others, you learn how to say "may I introduce..." then are asked how to ask if you may do something - you have to work out which bit of the phrase is "may I" On one page I learnt, as part of a longer phrase, how to say "what", on another the word for "means". Then later is the question "how do you ask what something means?"
I've been able to work out short paragraphs a Finnish friend has written and I'm only on section 2! (I needed the little dictionary at the back for two words)
The speech is quite fast on the audio, but real Finnish is too. Better to learn how it sounds - and in-case you're struggling when speaking to a Finn, you do learn how to ask them to speak slowly! There's a phonetic guide in the front of the book. You need the audio as some sounds have no English equivalent.
As it teaches Finnish through useful phrases, you could just use it as a phrasebook, but with a little work you can get to know and understand the language.

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great earphones, 30 Jun. 2014
Fantastic! I've had to turn my music player volume down a lot, as these are so much better than the last pair. It's not just in terms of volume, either - the sound is clearer too. There are bits to the songs that I really hadn't heard before!
As well as volume and clarity, these are good for fit as well. I have ridiculously small ear-holes that most of this type don't work. I've tried clip over ear, but they are too long so my jaw gets blasted with symphonic metal. The only headband type I like are the ones with earmuffs.But these, with the smallest bit, are ok. Still a bit big, but I can get them in my ears and they stay!
I've only once had noise from walking and the wire tapping against me, even though I use them every day. I wish I could say what was different that time, so I'd know how to prevent it, but I really don't know. If it happens again I'll update this review.

I have bought so many cheap earphones before, all have broken but been rubbish anyway. I just didn't realise how rubbish until I got these. Wish I'd got them sooner.

mPulse GO Rechargeable Portable Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Speaker Box with 3.5mm Aux Port (Shining Armor Black & White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Flippin' Awesome!, 7 Mar. 2014
I had a previous set of portable speakers to go with my mobile, as that's also my music player. I thought the old ones were good - they gave me more volume than my phone, which is what I wanted. But they starting rattling and fizzing at high-ish volume, now they're broken. Most reviews for this type of thing said that they're good at lower volumes, but not loud. I got the mPulse GO as that had good reviews for higher volumes. I haven't turned it up to 'RIDICULOUSLY LOUD' yet, but 'normal' volume is great and 'Loud Enough for a Metalhead Who Likes Her Neighbours' is also great with no sound distortion*. The music that I love most is symphonic metal - there are a lot of elements to it, including classical / film score - powerful music. This more than copes; it does the music justice. I have heard lighter, background bits that I'd missed playing just through my phone.
I use the Bluetooth function to play music, paired with my phone. It's dead simple, even for a techno neanderthal like me! There's a cable in the box if you don't have Bluetooth. I've only used it at home so far, but plan to use it for my daughter's 6th birthday party in a church hall - I'll update this review with how it was for that (she also likes symphonic metal, awesome child!).
I charge it with my own USB plug adapter and the USB cable in the box. I think you can use it to charge via PC with the cable.
I've no idea what the speaker is like for receiving phone calls, as I haven't had any while it's on & hope I don't get one!
The main thing for me though is the amazing sound quality even at higher volumes - saving money on my car insurance is quite nice - listening to symphonic metal through this system is what 'epic' feels like!

*Please note, the volume levels mentioned in my review are my own terms, the system has + and - buttons. While my music choice is amazing, I'm sure other genres would still sound good ;)

Angels Fall First
Angels Fall First
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful album, 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Angels Fall First (Audio CD)
I love it. I'm a new Nightwish fan and bought their albums in more-or-less reverse order, so this was the last one I got. Nightwish are a symphonic metal band and their earlier albums have operatic style female vocals. Their skill as musicians is awesome, the songs beautiful & lyrics powerful. This would be a great introduction to the band, it's a great album I reckon, even if symphonic (or any) metal is not your usual thing. I also think it's an essential part of the collection, now I have them all, it's great hearing the growth of the band over the years.

Tartanista Quality Scottish Kilt Pin Sword With Thistle Handle
Tartanista Quality Scottish Kilt Pin Sword With Thistle Handle
Offered by Tartanista UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 9 Dec. 2013
The end of the pin either was bent when I got it, or bent very easily. I'm not sure which, but it caught in my kilt and pulled a thread. The clasp came undone very easily, so it would have fallen right off had the pin not caught in my tights and stabbed me in the leg, alerting me to it's imminent loss. Shame really, I wouldn't have missed it but now my tights are ruined.

KitSound Audio Cable Knit Earmuffs for iPod, iPhone, iPad, Samsung and Android Devices - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars For cold eared music lovers!, 9 Dec. 2013
As I get cold ears but a hot head, I thought earmuffs would be the perfect solution, apart from one thing - I like to listen to music when I'm out & I didn't think it would be very comfortable to wear earmuffs over earphones. Wouldn't it be great if you could get knitted headphones, I thought.
Well, you can, and this is it! They're great at keeping my ears warm, they block out some of the awful traffic noise and they play the most awesome music. (Actually, the third point is possibly to do with the fact that I plug them into my phone, which has said awesome music stored on it.)
I use them with my Samsung Galaxy Portal. They're fine with that.
The one and only downfall is that they don't keep the music very personal - you get that awful headphone music noise standing next to someone wearing them (or rather, my family do next to me). I'm not sure how that compares to other headband types (as opposed to in-ear ones) as I don't usually wear them. I imagine it's the same for ones of a similar price that are just headphones & at least with these your ears stay toasty. I'm not taking any stars off for this though, firstly as I can't compare them, and also as there's a chance it's me playing my music too loud!

Disney Mickey Mouse Kids Plastic Dry Wipe Hanging Week Weekly Planner Board Diary

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice but keeps falling apart!, 9 Dec. 2013
The layout is good, there's a lot of space on each day to write each child's to do list and it rubs out easily too. They like to see the homework / music practice ticked off each day then rubbed out ready for the new week. It's a useful visual aid for homework hating children and scatterbrained parents!
However, it's really poor quality. The frame around the edge keeps falling apart at the top corner and the cardboard inside is getting tatty because of the amount of times it's been pushed back into the frame.I had to replace the pen as the one that came with it didn't work, though I keep that for the eraser on the lid.
I was tempted to only give 1 or 2 stars as it is so badly made, but as I kept it and continue to use it, I can't justify such a low rating.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly waterproof!, 29 Mar. 2013
I originally bought the Togz All-in-One Suit for my daughters and had their big brother wearing a normal winter coat (supposedly waterproof), but after walking to a friends house in torrential rain, and finding that the girls were dry but my poor son was soaked to the skin, I bought him this coat (Stable doors and bolting horses spring to mind!) I don't drive and his school is a half hour walk, so he needed a decent coat to suit all weathers. This seemed ideal as he can wear a fleece jacket underneath in the winter or without the extra layer if we have warm summer rain. It has stood up to the test a few times, with very heavy rain for the whole school run and a dry child at the end!

It is a loose fit, but doesn't look bad for it - he can have his school jumper and fleece jacket on with this still comfortable over the top. I love the wrist adjusters that keep the sleeves snug over his gloves - it means they don't flap about and don't seem too long, although they would be without the velco tabs.

The hood is fantastic, with 3 points of adjustment. One is a velcro strip that goes down the height of the hood at the back, and means that it doesn't hang over his eyes, but is deep enough to shield his face. The others are at the front, either side of the hood opening, and mean that he can look around without just seeing the inside of his coat. Again, it's roomy enough for a balaclava underneath.

The hood can fold neatly into the collar, there is a lovely soft fleece lining inside the neck and reflective strips at the back and around the wrists. It's comfortable, looks great (we got the red; gorgeous and bright on a dull rainy day) and really does keep him dry.

I have since got the pink one for his younger sister, as she's now also at school and the rain-suit isn't practical. My son has had his about 8 months & worn it every day and it still looks great. His little sister got hers muddy within a week, but it wiped off easily.

My son said "The best thing is that it's waterproof" but couldn't think of a worst thing as 'there's nothing bad to say'. There is just one thing that I don't like - the children are in no hurry to get home, whatever the weather, but I don't have a Togz rain coat!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3