Profile for Sid Lynch > Reviews

Content by Sid Lynch

Sid Lynch "SID" (Reno NV)

Page: 1 | 2
Deep End (Special Agents)
Deep End (Special Agents)
by Sam Hutton

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and adventure, 24 Sept. 2008
I was pleased with this book, its fast and fun, Not in the standard of the great teen agents such as Alex Rider, Jason Steed, Young James Bond and Jimmy Coates, but better than Cody Banks. Although the Cody Banks film was good.

Dolphin Island
Dolphin Island
by Arthur C. Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars Dolphin Island, 12 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Dolphin Island (Paperback)
Great book for young teens, its short and will not take long, It has a happy ending.
The author did a great job painting a picture of the undersea world in words.

Spy Kids [DVD] [2001]
Spy Kids [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Alexa PenaVega
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Spy Kids DVD, 12 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Spy Kids [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This movie is full of action, adventure and creative characters without being violent and scary. My two boys loved it. It was loads of fun for my husband and I as well as there is plenty of comedy that transends generations. We have seen Spy Kids 2 as well but can't reccomend it as it contains more violence and the characters were pretty scary.

Stormbreaker [DVD] [2006]
Stormbreaker [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Alex Pettyfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Alex Rider Film, 12 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Stormbreaker [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
"ALEX RIDER: OPERATION STORMBREAKER" is of course not realistic at all, but it does not need to be. We can almost believe that the story is real, because the director, producers, writer (Anthony Horowitz, who also wrote the novel the film is based on), and actors do their best to make us believe. Rather than going in the tongue in cheek direction, like the earlier "AGENT CODY BANKS", they adapt a much more serious mindset and pessimistic outlook. Instead of the lead being a smart aleck, he is a very mature teenager well beyond his years, who takes his new position in the agency M16 seriously. He is not at all slick and perfect, but unsure of himself, and he makes mistakes. He does not own a cool sports car, is not 18, (which, according to Horowitz, was what the American producers wanted) but does have a girlfriend. In short, these attributes and qualities make "Stormbreaker" the much better movie. However, I do enjoy the "AGENT CODY BANKS" films, but they require the viewer to suspend their disbelief on a much higher level. The main plot is that Alex Rider (Alex Pettyfer) is a normal British schoolboy whose parents died when he was very young, and now lives with his uncle Ian Rider (Ewan McGregor) and eccentric American housekeeper Jack Starbright (Alicia Silverstone). Ian supposedly has a very boring job, for a bank, which keeps him away from home alot of the time. But he is eventually killed, and his suspicous acting fellow employees cover up the cause of death at the funeral as not wearing a seatbelt. Alex investigates, however, and is forced to participate in a wonderful, stunt laden fight sequence with a junkyard crew. He finds out that his uncle did not work for a bank, but actually was a special agent for M16, and was assassinated by Yassen Gregorovich (Damian Lewis) while on his way home with vital information from a mission. Alex is recruited by the director of M16, Alan Blunt (Bill Nighy) and his assistant Tulip Jones (Sophie Okonedo) to find out what Darrius Sayle (Mickey Rourke) along with his assistants Mr. Grin (Andy Serkis) and Nadia Vole (Missi Pyle) really intend by giving one of his company's own supercomputers to every school in the country. The cast is excellent, from the new star that has been found in Pettyfer, all the way to the veteran actor in Stephen Fry as Smithers. The action is fast and unforgiving, especially in the junkyard scene. The stunts are great, such as in the fight sequence at the Rider house between Jack and Nadia. A movie not to be missed!
Since watching this I have been hooked on the Alex Rider, Jason Steed, Jimmy Coates, Cody Banks and Young James Bond Books.

H.I.V.E.: Higher Institute of Villainous Education
H.I.V.E.: Higher Institute of Villainous Education
by Mark Walden

4.0 out of 5 stars Hive, 12 Sept. 2008
This is the second book out this year about a darker version of Hogwarts, although, since the two schools are set in our magic-free world, I suppose they're more like the opposite of whatever school trained the Marvel superheroes. Kids at a school for supervillains is, of course, a really terrific premise, if a slightly ominous commentary on our times. The other book, which I read first, is Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks. Evil Genius disappointed me by bogging itself down considerably in YA angst and dull plot points. In contrast H.I.V.E., while it threw me off in the first chapter, ended up being an entertaining, well-put-together book with a likable hero, Otto Malpense (yeah: last name Bad Thought!). What put me off at first was that a young Asian martial-arts expert and future roommate to Otto, Wing Fanchu, was described at least half a dozen times in the first 15 pages or so as having an impassive face. And then there's the H.I.V.E. student who's a fat German boy, a veritable clone of Roald Dahl's Augustus Gloop. This struck me as stereotyping--not simply un-PC, but cliched. HOWEVER, the rest of the book went on to be so engaging that I've decided to forgive Walden for those few bits of junk. H.I.V.E. is fast-paced, which is a real relief after Evil Genius. The book is sprinkled with humor, plot twists, and creative touches, e.g., the school motto is simply "Do Unto Others." Otto soon finds a team of buddies (Ron, Hermione, Neville) with a variety of abilities. And the story manages to wrap up nicely even as it sets us up for the inevitable Book Two. Bottom line: your 9- to 13-year-old will get a kick out of Otto Malpense and his villainous school!
The HIVE series are good, They dont come close to Jason Steed or Alex Rider books by Anthony Horowitz. ( I think Horowitz wrote Fledgling Jason Steed under a pen name) but are comparable to Jimmy Coates, Cherub and Young James Bond books.

It Had To Be You - The Great American Songbook
It Had To Be You - The Great American Songbook
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Rod Stewart, 12 Sept. 2008
Initially, I cringed when I first learned Rod Stewart was to release a CD of "standards". How could Rock-n-Roll's most unique voice opt for this particular venue? Rod is a rocker, not a Sinatra or a Bennett! Surely it would be a travesty for rock, as well as a slap in the face to all the legendary performers who had originally introduced these timeless standards. Admittedly, as a lover of both genres, I was skeptical; now, I'm happy to say I was wrong. In retrospect, it is only appropriate that he now explore this type of music as an artist.
Over a career that spans almost 40 years, Rod has sang rock, blues, R&B, soul, ballads, pop and most recently, hip-hop. Now we are offered Rod Stewart as crooner. The transition has been a long time coming. After hearing "Songbook", one has to admit it is also long overdue. Originally, some, like myself, may be erroneously tempted to confine Rod to a specific genre. Unfortunately, when one often thinks of Stewart, visions of the "rock star"...the loud clothes, spiked hair and raucous onstage antics immediately come to mind. In fact, it is these very perceptions that have overshadowed his career and misled so many, particularly Stewart's critics over the years. The image has for so long obscured Rod's true talent, his uniquely amazing voice, which has always been his greatest asset.

On "The Great American Songbook", it's ALL about the voice. Rod Stewart's voice is now truly showcased as never before. The familiar raspiness is still there, yet refined, mature and smooth as silk. When listening to this new release, one would almost think that these songs were originally written with Rod in mind. His delivery is passionately sincere and hauntingly valid. It would have been easy for Stewart to simply "cover" these classics, as many other artists have done in the past and, I might add, failed miserably at it. This is not the case with "Songbook". Instead, Rod has interpreted these songs as only he can do, making them his own while reinventing and defining them for an entirely new generation to appreciate and savor. While remaining true to the original musical arrangements, Stewart adds a soulful, modern twist to the vocals. Think Sam Cooke and Billie Holiday being channeled at the same time.

Whether one likes Rod Stewart or not, whether one is a diehard rock fan or a lover of these classic standards, this CD is a must have and deserves a listen. Like the timeless classics showcased in this release, Rod Stewart's voice also stands the test of time. With the release of "Songbook", it is only fitting that he now be included on the exclusive list of legendary vocalists. Rod has earned that.

Young, old, or in between, "Songbook" speaks to us all. It appeals to a much wider audience than anything Rod has ever done in his long career and should be greatly received. It's definitely a refreshing change to some of the material currently being released today in music. For those who thought Rod was a "has been", think again! For those who would pigeon hole Rod into one specific category, I dare you to think outside the box. Personally, I hear a Grammy nod in the not so distant future...

Robbie Williams - Live At The Albert [DVD] [2001]
Robbie Williams - Live At The Albert [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Robbie Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Robbie Williams live sings Sinatra, 12 Sept. 2008
Robbie came from a boy band to become an international star, not as good as Michael Bubble, But the little note on Robbie's latest album Swing When You Are Winning, told me that it is certainly something to look forward to. Little did I know Robbie is so capable to touch someone with his voice. It surprised me and I couldn't help thinking, Robbie is on the road to super stardom!!

Congratulations to a wonderful concert indeed! I gave it a 4 because the disc is somewhat short on features, otherwise I'd have given it a five. I wish, really wish there'll be a DVD of all of Robbie's videos, as I am dying to see more of him.

No, I wasn't a big fan to start with. But let's forget about that, nevermind the tabloid, forget about what your impression of Robbie is. Take a break and enjoy this concert.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be touched, you'll be thrilled!

Rob says "Mom, this is your son singing, I love you". He did make his mom proud! And like everybody else here, I almost cried when I saw "My Way". I am totally a fan of Robbie now. He has won big this time!

Twentysomething
Twentysomething
Offered by Entertainment Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Jamie Cullum Jazz singer, 12 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Twentysomething (Audio CD)
Jamie has a voice like silk and considering he is at the beginning of his career, well he's definately one to watch.
I've been listening to his album for months and there are a few songs that grow on you and you end up loving even though the initial impact isn't earth-shattering. On the other hand there are a great many songs that just bowl you over the first time you hear them. The covers he does are great and doing covers is always risky since they are rarely better than the original... but not a problem for Mr Cullum. He just breathes new life into them.

Having also seen him live at Kenwood House (and anyone there will tell you)- I haven't walked away from a gig feeling so inspired and with such a huge grin on my face. Now how can that be bad? I challenge anyone to go and see him live and not fall under that spell. He just has so much energy and enthusiasm that you'd have to be a rock not to be touched by it. I mean does that boy ever sit still???

Jamie Cullum's album is a gem (especially when you look at a lot of the other cack that's around). You may not be completely bowled over by it at the first listen... but trust me, it's just a matter of time. There is no escape... soon you'll all be doe-eyed too.

Call Me Irresponsible (Special Edition)
Call Me Irresponsible (Special Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best is yet too come. Fantastic, 12 Sept. 2008
From top to bottom, this is a great CD. Every track Michael does it perfect.
I have yet to see him in concert, but should I get the chance I will. Probably one of the greatest singers (now) of our time.
He has taken off where Frank Sinatra left off.

Agent Cody Banks [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Agent Cody Banks [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Codt banks teen spy, 12 Sept. 2008
A great fast, fun, clean and enjoyable movie. Its a shame the book was not as good, but this film is great, yes the actor does a big part in the movie and carries the film. It may not be a classic, but is full of fun and well worth watching. Cody is like Jason Steed, Alex Rider a young 007, teen spy.

Page: 1 | 2