Profile for anorthernlight > Reviews

anorthernlight (Scotland)

The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes
The Rough Guide to the Italian Lakes
by Lucy Ratcliffe

2.0 out of 5 stars Italian Lakes - as long as they are not small ones, 23 May 2011
I took this to guide Italy on a recent trip. We stayed by Lake Iseo and travelled to Brecia by train one day. This guide didn't deal with anything I might have been interested in around Lake Iseo, namely, accommodation, restaurants, or walking the Antica Via Valeriana. Also the comments about the Lake where somewhat negative, rather than saying what it might be like to stay.

Incidentally, I found the villages to be somewhat built-up and busy with traffic, but a day walking on the Monte Iseola island was very pleasant, and the section of the Valeriana path we walked was well maintained, signposted and the views and wild flowers (in May) spectacular. Our photos are very scenic.

Not as helpful to my needs as other Rough Guides I have used.

Lombardy 2 tci (r) wp (Regional Road Map)
Lombardy 2 tci (r) wp (Regional Road Map)
by TCI
Edition: Map

3.0 out of 5 stars Lombady Road Map, 23 May 2011
My husband and I took this map on a recent trip to Italy - our first time driving in the country. We found it of use to understand the general geography and Motorway network driving from Milan Malpensa Airport to Lake Iseo, but of limited use when driving around the countryside, because at this scale it didn't have the detail we required. Also, Italy road signs are completely confusing. You may be following signs for a particular town, then come to a junction where there is no sign at all. The small villages all around will be signposted, but not the major town only 5km away.

Next time we will take or hire SatNav, and take the map too, which might be a useful combination. The map on its own was a bit of a challenge.

Dyson DC26 City Multi Floor Ultra-lightweigh Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC26 City Multi Floor Ultra-lightweigh Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected, 7 Feb. 2011
I have bought the Dyson City for a two bedroom flat with wooden floors and rugs. It is easy to store, and very light. I can vacuum with the hose in one hand and the cylinder in the other. The flex is a good length, I can plug it in in the hall and reach all the rooms in the small flat. The floor tool is small and nippy around the furniture. I don't need a large cylinder as the area I clean is small. I'm glad I found this tiny vacuum cleaner, as it is very suitable for flat life.

The Finkler Question (unabridged audiobook)
The Finkler Question (unabridged audiobook)
by Howard Jacobson
Edition: Audio CD

1.0 out of 5 stars Audiobook version of The Finkler Question, 7 Feb. 2011
I needed to read this book for my book group, but knew it was going to be hard going so I bought the audiobook version. I have just ploughed through eleven discs of tedious, dull stuff. I have not been entertained, enlightened or improved. There is only one slight joke (everybody seems to misunderstand what others are saying) which has no bearing on the plot, as there isn't a plot. The actor does make a stab at portraying the different characters, but the voice he uses for women speaking is cringeworthy - he makes them sound so drippy, they are quite unbelievable. Don't waste time or money on this audiobook.

Zack 20136 Contas Salt And Pepper Shaker Set- Stainless Steal
Zack 20136 Contas Salt And Pepper Shaker Set- Stainless Steal

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, utilitarian shakers, 16 May 2010
These shakers are strong and utilitarian. The lids screw on and off for easy cleaning, drying and refilling.