Profile for John Mace > Reviews

Content by John Mace

John Mace "johnmace" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5-inch 7-mm SSD Includes 9.5-mm Spacer - CT256MX100SSD1

5.0 out of 5 stars Make old laptops fly!!!, 21 April 2015
I replaced the hard disk in an ageing Dell Vostro 1000, thinking nothing could help such a pedestrian performer, but now the laptop absolutely flies! It probably helped that I did a clean install of the previous operating system (W7) rather than copy an image of the old disk, which will only duplicate a burgeoning registry after years of (ab)use.
It boots and powers down really quickly (<10secs), and office applications start up instantly. Does little for the graphics/games performance obviously, but has given a dinosaur a new lease of life. A new laptop which performs as fast as this would cost a lot more!
I've put the old hard disk in a £3 USB/SATA case and I use it as an external hard disk; nothing wasted!

Einhell 4501655 4-Function Petrol Multi-Tool
Einhell 4501655 4-Function Petrol Multi-Tool

4.0 out of 5 stars No regrets choosing this one, from so many!, 1 Sept. 2014
It came well packed, with lots of helpful documentation. There was one missing nut, and the helpful UK service centre was quick to post me a replacement, so I felt reassured that there is good support in the UK for this German product (not sure where it is manufactured though).
I have used it to cut a tough long hawthorn/mixed hedge, and it did the job. It starts fairly easily, and there's plenty power. In common with similar products it's a bit heavy, but one learns to manage that. If low on fuel, it tends to stall occasionally when operated on it's side, so keep it topped up. I haven't used the strimmer attachment yet, and the chain saw looks appropriately gruesome!
So all in all, quite pleased, I see no reason why it shouldn't last for years in my domestic setting.

BBC iPlayer Radio
BBC iPlayer Radio

3.0 out of 5 stars Why a separate app?, 22 May 2014
This review is from: BBC iPlayer Radio (App)
It works well, and is very slick. However, the main TV iPlayer app used to include radio and worked well too, and whereas before I could browse TV and radio from the same app, now I have to use two apps. Could this discourage people from browsing radio if they don't find anything good on TV? People are awfully lazy, including me. We'll see...

TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful., 22 May 2014
This review is from: TripAdvisor (App)
I always check this out before a trip somewhere, it gives you access to a wealth of information. The user reviews do tend to be a tad optimistic generally, everything seems to get glowing reports, even those places I've been to and found average. Perhaps it's just me...

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Works flawlessly, needs more third party support., 22 May 2014
The Chromecast item works as advertised, but at this time (May2013) there are only a limited number of apps available for my iPhone to work with it, and they are early versions and are buggy or missing obvious features. Looks promising though, and I'm sure over the next few months there'll be a lot more solid third party support.

BBC iPlayer
BBC iPlayer

1.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't work at all., 28 April 2014
This review is from: BBC iPlayer (App)
I have a Kindle Fire HD. When I choose a program to watch, and hit the play button, the app freezes. I wait patiently, but no, stays frozen. Tried rebooting, etc. but on my Kindle it doesn't work. Shame, because iPlayer is brilliant on my smart TV, my iPhone, my daughter's Wii, my Raspberry Pi, my ChromeCast - but it doesn't work on my Kindle Fire HD.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2015 9:05 PM GMT

Original MrPhone (2100mah) High Voltage Rapid Charge USB Mains Adapter for Amazon New Kindle Fire 2 HD 7" & 8.9" inch/ Kindle Fire, New Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Apple iPad Mini/3/2/1, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 10.1, Galaxy Tab 7.0/7.0 Plus/10.1, Lenovo IdeaTab S2110A/S2109A, aPad/ePad Android Tablet PC , TomTom, Garmin, Galaxy s3, Iphone5, iphone 4s and many other devices that can be charged via the wall socket
Offered by NM TECHNOLOGY LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and effective., 21 Mar. 2013
The MrPhone 2.1Ah rapid charger was quickly delivered well packaged in a presentation box. The charger seems robust and durable, and does the job. Time will tell, but so far this appears to be a good product.

Pure One Flow Portable Music Streaming System with DAB Digital/FM/Internet Radio - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge fun, good value for money!, 17 Sept. 2012
I have used the Pure One Flow for a month or so now, and it has worked reliably. The DAB radio part seems more sensitive than many others we have tried in our weak-signal area, picking up all the stations without fiddling with the aerial orientation. The internet radio works very well - in line with all similar radios it is easier to browse the available stations on a PC and save favourites in a folder on the Pure account for access by this radio, and once set up in this manner, controlling the radio with just the two knobs is remarkably easy. I have tried streaming from my iPhone Pure media server app; it just worked, absolutely uncanny! Since I've had it there have been two software upgrades, both installed automatically, no idea what changed, it has never shown any bugs or malfunction of any kind. The software seems well thought out and instinctive. The display is bright and clear, and shows current program information without prompt.
The sound quality is acceptable for a box of this diminutive size, but perhaps a bit boomy in the lower registers. I suspect the designers have tried to boost the base response electronically, and have tried a bit too hard. It also lacks a bit of top end, perhaps intentionally to filter out any internet radio low bit-rate distortion, but at the expense of fidelity on DAB radio. In this respect a tone control would have won it a fifth star. But for the money this is huge fun and an absolute bargain. I love listening to a Caribbean station over Sunday morning breakfast, closing my eyes and pretending I'm there!

Steel Band Christmas
Steel Band Christmas

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a band as..., 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Steel Band Christmas (Audio CD)
I don't know about you, but to me, a "Steel Band" comprises more than one steel drum. This recording sounds like it was performed by just two people, one on a steel drum and the other the accompaniment. Sure, they play proficiently, but I can't close my eyes and imagine I'm sat next to a pool on a caribbean island on Christmas day, being serenaded by a full steel band. It makes a change though.

Raleigh Glide 26/17" Ladies
Raleigh Glide 26/17" Ladies

5.0 out of 5 stars A good value, sturdy bike., 4 Feb. 2009
I wanted a durable bike to see my 10 year old daughter into adulthood, and I wasn't disappointed! The bike was delivered partially assembled, and with just a little patience I read the instructions and followed them slowly and precisely - the bike was together within an hour. The adjustments were minimal and logical, and the gears were pre-aligned at the factory and required no adjustment whatsoever! Lucky, or what?
It's a solid bike but not heavy, no frills, no daft rear suspension but an effective shock absorber in the seat stalk, and I fully expect it to survive the years. Thoroughly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2