Profile for James T > Reviews

20 pairs 3M E-A-R Classic Earplugs
20 pairs 3M E-A-R Classic Earplugs
Offered by Langley Steelworks Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty useless, 14 May 2017
Pretty useless . Don't really block sound.

Lindt Lindor Milk Cornet 200g
Lindt Lindor Milk Cornet 200g
Offered by Conochies

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete rip off, 24 Dec. 2016
You only get 16 in a pack.

Samsung Galaxy Pocket Neo Sim Free Smartphone - Metallic Silver
Samsung Galaxy Pocket Neo Sim Free Smartphone - Metallic Silver
Offered by eZee Trade

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite slow, 12 Oct. 2016
This is really a budget phone. The positives are that it is small and so can be inconspicuous. Downsides are that it has a bad camera. It is very slow and unresponsive. You probably wont be able to use all the latest apps.

Faith In Nature Organic Pomegranate and Rooibos Shampoo 400ml
Faith In Nature Organic Pomegranate and Rooibos Shampoo 400ml

1.0 out of 5 stars Ingredients list doesn't sound nature real and organic, 18 Sept. 2016
If you look at ingredients list - that doesn't sound organic and natural.

HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer
HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit many pieces of paper., 8 Nov. 2014
I can only fit 5 or 6 pieces of paper in the paper holder. Sometimes the roller takes 2 pieces of paper if you put too many papers in.
So this problem renders the thing nearly useless. Especially a if you want to print on both sides. Also a problem if you want to print a document with many pages.
Also - the printer ink does not last long at all - and the ink is incredibly overpriced.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2016 4:58 PM BST

Principles of Economics
Principles of Economics
by N. Gregory Mankiw

4.0 out of 5 stars Some info, 14 Oct. 2014
The "principles of" or "essentials of" economics books are generally the USA or international version of the book. The UK or European edition, Mankiw has co-authored with Mark Taylor, a Professor of economics at Warwick University. The newest version to date for the UK is just called Economics and it was first published in 2014, by Cengage publishers, and they call it the 3rd revised edition. I do feel these textbooks (not just this one) are very expensive and overppriced though. Instead of £40 - £50, they should be around £30.

Improve Your Eyesight: A Guide to the Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses
by Jonathan Barnes

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work. A complete fraud. Don't waste your life, 31 July 2012
I would recommend people look up the excellent Wikipedia article on the Bates method. From reading this unbiased, informative article you will see that natural vision improvement just does not work. By 'work' I mean improve your vision to 20/20. It provides scientific explanations for the flashes of improvement that people experience, as I did. These are transient spasm of the ciliary muscle, "blur adaptation", constriction of the pupil, a learned ability to interpret blurred images and a contact lens-like effect of moisture on the eye. So yes, people do report some improvement. It gives them false hope. But you will never improve to 20/20 vision.

To try and get the maximum improvement I went without glasses all the time. Because I couldn't see anything it knocked my confidence, I couldn't make eye contact with people. I was determined to improve my vision because I thought that it was my short sightedness that was holding me back and making me unhappy. I was young and vulnerable. I believed these frauds. I wasted months and years of my life because of the Bates method/eye exercises.

Those who seek out natural vision improvement are normally unhappy people, looking for reasons for why they are unhappy. So I would advise people that if you are unhappy do not think natural eyesight improvement will make you happier. It won't.

There are those who believe, as I did, that there is a conspiracy to hide the truth so that the optical industry carries on making money. There is no conspiracy. There have been studies done and it just doesn't work. I do believe that near work and near play, such as computer games, particularly in childhood while the eye is growing and forming, causes myopia. But I disagree that once the eye is in a certain shape, which is the cause of the myopia, you can do anything to change it.

I despair that this book has got so many 5 star reviews. It is very likely that these people have experienced the momentary improvement in vision, as explained earlier. Note that none of them say they have got down to 20/20 vision.

So, I must reiterate, don't waste your life following these unproven and damaging set of ideas.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2016 12:40 PM BST

Improve Your Vision Without Glasses Or Contact Lenses
Improve Your Vision Without Glasses Or Contact Lenses
by Dr. Beresford

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work. A complete fraud. Don't waste your life., 26 Jun. 2012

Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2015 1:49 PM BST

Natural Vision Improvement
Natural Vision Improvement
by Janet Goodrich

1.0 out of 5 stars Unproven and damaging - don't waste your life!, 13 April 2012
I bought Janet Goodrich's book years ago because I thought that it was glasses that was making me unhappy. I thought that if I hadn't have had the stresses and strains in my life then I wouldn't had to have worn glasses. I believed the idea that all I had to do to find happiness was take off my glasses and see. That without glasses my life would be better. I was wrong.
However, I do agree with one thing, I believe that myopia is caused by behaviour. Lots of near work has actually been scientifically proven to cause myopia. I don't dispute this part of the natural vision improvement ideas. What I dispute is that once the damage has been done, once the eye has formed into a certain shape, that you can then return back to normal 20/20 vision.

This is a warning to all those vulnerable people like me who were taken in by the natural vision improvement gurus. It can ruin your life. It can ruin your life because it focuses your attention away from the real problems and sorting them out and instead transfers your thoughts into this utopian dreamland where sometime in the future, if you follow all the natural vision advice, there will be that happy ending. But there is no reason to believe there will be a happy ending. Why would there be? In the mean time, months, years have gone by. Years when if you hadn't embarked on natural vision improvement you would likely solved the problems in your life by tackling them head on. So if you have problems in your life, my advice is don't blame them on the fact you wear glasses. Many people wear glasses and are perfectly happy and fulfilled in life. Thanks to advance in technology, there is also laser eye surgery, which most people say is the best thing they have ever done in life. What is more, it gives you 20/20 vision. With natural vision improvement there is months and years of fruitlessly trying and you will never ender up with 20/20. I repeat it will never give you 20/20.

I would recommend you read the wikipedia article on the Bates method for an excellently researched unbiased look at this damaging and dangerous set of ideas. There is no clinical evidence that natural vision improvement works. And what do we mean by works? If you notice, none of the reviews on the American amazon dot com site say they have 20/20 vision - just that their prescription was reduced by a minor amount. And what good is that? You want to spend months and years (because that's how long they say it has taken them) just to wear glasses with a slightly smaller prescription?
The wikipedia article provides a few scientific explanations for the minor improvement in vision. These are: a transient spasm of the ciliary muscle, "blur adaptation", changes in size of pupil, and a contact lens-like effect of moisture on the eye.

Goodrich's book is written in an informal style with lots of little cartoons. Of course there is very little scientific evidence in this book. Now you may be one of those people, like me when I was young and vulnerable, that thinks "oh it is one big conspiracy - these scientists have vested interests - the truth is being covered up". I am here to say as someone who thought like this, now I am older, there is no conspiracy, people are generally nice and don't want to harm you. Think about it - if the Bates method worked - wouldn't it be more mainstream? It isn't, because it does not work!

So for those still trying and hoping - stop. For those thinking of doing this - please don't waste your life by embarking on this fruitless exercise.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5