Profile for A. Corbett > Reviews

Content by A. Corbett

A. Corbett "AJC" (Leics)

Page: 1 | 2
James Cracknell's No-Gym Health Plan: Lose Up to Two and a Half Stone on the Bust-the-Beer-Belly Plan
by James Cracknell

4.0 out of 5 stars No-Gym, 31 May 2006
I was immediatly drawn to the title of this book as I thought is was the answer to my prayers. Of course it wasn't. This book is very well written and very well preasented. The style is attempting to talk directly to men. The Diet side of things tells you everything you already know but they've got to go through it any way. I like the recipe section and they are all simple to follow and the ones I have made I found very tasty. The exercise section is good but I personally would have liked more detail.

So why not 5 stars? I have read many of this type of book! (I still need to lose weight, which is more about me, not the books!)This one did not really offer anything I have not already read. At the end of the day we need to eat less and exercise more. I would have liked a more detailed eating plan. For some reason as I read this book I got a feeling that Mr Cracknell didn't have a lot to do with the writing. I may be doing him a huge injustice, and if I am I'm sorry. It just has a ghost written feel to it.

Turn Back Your Body Clock: The Guide to Changing Your Life and Living Longer
Turn Back Your Body Clock: The Guide to Changing Your Life and Living Longer
by Carina Norris

4.0 out of 5 stars Body Clock, 7 May 2006
I saw the T.V show and bought the book. The guy who was on the show first was amazing. The book is not as great as its first show as it dawns on you that there is no miracle. (A fact that I did know, if I had stopped to think.)

The style and the layout of the book is first class. The information is well written and very scary. I had to put the book down at one point as all the talk of cancer was a bit depressing. Each chapter deals with apart of your life and diet.

As a buyer of this type of book (The fact that I still have to buy them is due to my lack of will power not the books!),I was dissappointed in the section on exercise. I hate going to the Gym and am looking to build my own home verion of the plan (Home work out bible!)

This is an excellent book that I recommend to all those who are serious about weight loss and health. For me the reason I dropped a star is because of the exercise section.

Karate's Grappling Methods
Karate's Grappling Methods
by Iain Stuart Abernethy

5.0 out of 5 stars Karate's grappling methods, 21 Aug. 2002
An excellent find as I browsed through the Amazon Martial arts section. A book that made me think about what I was doing and teaching on my dojo. Also a book that lays bare some of the myths that Japanese Sensai rarely allow you to see and never explain. Good photographs and clear narrative make the book very user friendly.

Bunkai-Jutsu: The Practical Application of Karate Kata
Bunkai-Jutsu: The Practical Application of Karate Kata
by Iain Abernethy

4.0 out of 5 stars Bunkai-Jutsu, 21 Aug. 2002
A very interesting read for all involved with Karate. Especially as students turn to the more taditional aspects of training. I felt that although the book was very good it did cover a lot of ground all ready covered in the previous book 'Karate's grappling methods.' I would have liked to have seen more explanation of other katas and maybe even a demonstration of bunkai katas. However the book is a must for all Sensai and combined with the first book an excelent addition to any martial artist's library.

Page: 1 | 2