Profile for Jan Sørensen > Reviews

A Day at the Races [1937]
Dvd ~ Groucho Marx
Offered by afternoon-matinee

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest movie ever, 31 May 2013
This review is from: A Day at the Races [1937] (DVD)
Despite its age it is still keeping up your level of laughing. For me it is still the funniest movie ever. Buy it when you come across it :-)

New Year's Concert 2012 / Neujahrskonzert 2012
New Year's Concert 2012 / Neujahrskonzert 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance, 15 Feb. 2012
This issue of this years New Year's Concert is among the very best from the last decade. The Lumbye Railway Galopp, which I as Dane has known from my childhood, is performed brilliantly. The CD is worth every Penny

Chopin
Chopin
Offered by Bee-Entertained

5.0 out of 5 stars Creme de la creme, 17 April 2010
This review is from: Chopin (Audio CD)
I'm a fan of Mrs. Pires and have most of her recordings, which I have enjoyed these for many years now.
The concept of this recent Chopin album(two discs) is great and gives a perception of the composer's mood in the final period of his life.
I like this album, no doubt about that. Especially her interpretation of the piano sonata is outstanding. Here she is in a league with a very few others. Therefore, I'll recommend this album to all Chopin lovers.
Another thing, it's great that the booklet is formed as a conversation making Mrs. Pires explain her view of this music, instead of the usual general comments you can find in any encyclopaedia. I can also recommend you to watch the clip on YouTube.
I read in March, that Mrs. Pires for personal reasons has decided to fade out her concert performances, but I do not hope that her recording activities will suffer as well.

Schubert Impromptus Op.90 Moments Musicaux Allegretto in C minor
Schubert Impromptus Op.90 Moments Musicaux Allegretto in C minor

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking performance, 13 April 2010
Before I bought this record, I had never come across the name of David Fray. By coincidence I saw a clip on YouTube, where he is presenting this disc and I felt curious to hear more. I have more recordings of these Schubert pieces and this interpretation shows clearly David Fray's different perception of tempi. Despite being aware of the original tempi, he plays in a significantly slower tempo in almost all eleven pieces on the disc. The clip on YouTube gives a little explanation why. After the first listening you feel that he somehow has misunderstood the original score, but when you get used to the slower tempi, this disc is becoming more and more like a `desert island'-recording. At least for me. He has an outstanding technique, is playing absolutely beautiful and you are `floating' through the disc. I wonder what Mr. Schubert would have said after listening to this? I will definitely be looking forward to David Fray's future recordings, hopefully including more Schubert and also Chopin.

Strauss: Sinfonia Domestica / Wagner: Music from Tristan und Isolde & Lohengrin
Strauss: Sinfonia Domestica / Wagner: Music from Tristan und Isolde & Lohengrin
Offered by KAOZI168 Classical_ ''Dispatch From London within 1 day ''

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant recording, 18 July 2009
This recording seems to be sold out and is even difficult to find as a second hand buy. What a pity! After listening you will understand. The Strauss performance is Karajan at his very best. Simply outstanding!
/Jan