Profile for Robert > Reviews

Content by Robert

Robert "Robert" (Comber, N.Ireland.)

Page: 1 | 2
Garage Shelving Unit - 5 Tier EXTRA HD / Racking Shelf Storage Workshop - 180 x 90 x 45 CM - Best on Amazon
Offered by storageaffairs

5.0 out of 5 stars Would buy again, 15 Sept. 2015
Bought two of these excellent products which were delivered very quickly. I contacted the seller to confirm a few details regarding the construction of the metal uprights and the phone was answered straight away even though it was 7pm. The main uprights are 1.2mm thick and all metalwork seems to be powder coated with a blue grey finish. The assembly was quick and easy and there was even a small double headed rubber mallet supplied. There is also a cross brace on all shelf brackets to further support shelves mid way. I gave each mdf shelf two coats of varnish to reduce the chance of damp damage. All in all an excellent purchase at a very keen price inc delivery.

Krusell Hector - mobile phone cases (115 x 18 x 61 mm)
Krusell Hector - mobile phone cases (115 x 18 x 61 mm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Mobile Phone Holder, 3 Sept. 2014
A stylish mobile holder that keeps your mobile safe if you are out and about.

Elba Bright Transfer Spring File 315gsm Foolscap Assorted [Pack 10]
Elba Bright Transfer Spring File 315gsm Foolscap Assorted [Pack 10]

3.0 out of 5 stars Thin Cardboard but OK, 3 Sept. 2014
Very thin cardboard otherwise OK

2x Eveready Energy Saving 2D Lamp - 38W (240V) 4 Pin -
2x Eveready Energy Saving 2D Lamp - 38W (240V) 4 Pin -
Offered by Dependable Trading LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but go for LED lamps, 3 Sept. 2014
Bought four of these for our kitchen light fittings. Initially I thought they were good but the light output dropped quite quickly and appeared yellowish not white. In truth this is what I have observed with other makes. Recently one of the lamps started strobing so we needed a new one but we replaced all four lamps with LED replacement 2D lamps. Absolutely brilliant, the light I mean, its bright white and uses half the energy. LED lamps are four times the price but my experience is that tubes last no more than a few years and I expect the LED's to last a lot longer than that so with the much better illumination I strongly recommend them.

Nokia Micro USB Fast Charge In-Car Charger and Power Cord for Smartphone and Mobile - Black
Offered by Agagadgets

2.0 out of 5 stars ... not a Nokia charger and does not even look like one, its a "Smart Universal Car Charger" with ..., 3 Sept. 2014
Its not a Nokia charger and does not even look like one, its a "Smart Universal Car Charger" with six adaptors so a misleading description. The label on the charger says ROHS and CE but without any test numbers so I imagine these are misleading also. Finally the output is given as 5V 1,000 mA which is not what mobile phone specifications allow for, ie should be 500 mA. I will test the output to see if it is a regulated 5V supply and update this review in due course.
My initial thoughts are its not what I ordered ie a Nokia charger as depicted in the Amazon picture.
So far I rate it as disappointing but I will complete the review shortly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2014 6:51 PM BST

2 PCS 4mm Glasses Cutter Diamond Hole Saw Drilling Tool
2 PCS 4mm Glasses Cutter Diamond Hole Saw Drilling Tool
Offered by Ascot City

5.0 out of 5 stars Used to remove out a broken HSS Threading Tap, 20 April 2014
I recently broke a tap in a 10mm steel plate and was annoyed with myself as they are almos impossible to remove without specialist equipment such as spark erosion apparatus etc. I did however do a google search on broken taps and came across the usual suggestions of using cobalt drills etc which are virtually impossible on small taps and usually leads to a broken cobalt drill on top of the broken tap. I did notice a couple of suggestions regarding the use of diamond hole saws and decided to give it a try.
I eventually succeded in removing the tap with no damage at all to the bore of the hole.
I mounted the plate on a pillar drill to keep it from moving and used a 4mm diamond hole saw directly centered over the bottom of the broken 6mm tap. The tap bottom had a pointed end which assisted in centering the hole saw. A raised dam of plasticene was built up around the hole and the underside of the tapped hole plugged. With the dam filed with water and a slow speed on the pillar drill i began gently to grind away the tap. I found gentle pressure with lifting the hole saw every 20 seconds or so was slowly eating through the tap.
To prevent the hole saw from jamming with the cuttings in the hole I removed the plate every five minutes and cleaned out the hole with water untill it was clear. This took around twenty minutes to get almost through the tap when I broke the end off the hole saw. The deeper I got the more frequently I needed to clean out the hole and I let it go too long.
Anyhow another clean out, more water and a new hole saw and off again and soon I was through.
The hole saw left the remnants of the three tap flutes still in the hole but these were easily picked out with a thin scriber.
Success, the first time I have ever removed a broken tap leaving no damage and able to finish tapping the hole.
A word of caution these diamond hole saws work but they are very delicate, lots of water with frequest cleaning of the hole and very gentle pressure are required.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 20 April 2014
I have been buying Lindt choclate easter eggs for many many years usually the ones with a selection of milk, white and dark mini eggs. The previous mini eggs were solid and very delicious.
This year I noticed the Excellence Egg which is all dark choclate and a bit more expensive than usual but so what its Easter and its a gift for my wife. Well this is the bit where the disappointment set in. The mini eggs are hollow not solid and while the dark choclate is delicious I dont think the overall value is there at all. I accept you always pay for the packaging and presentation for Easter, Christmas etc but this has left me a bit disappointed. The three stars signify "OK" instead of the expected "Excellent" or even Excellence!

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Logitech M500 Mouse, 5 Nov. 2013
Have used one of these for around six months and am a bit dissapointed. I initially researched and bought this particular mouse for use with my desktop PC. I use both CAD and Paint programmes and needed somthing easy to use, accurate and most importantly resistant to dust and debris on the sensor.

My experience is that the sensor clogs up very easily and quickly loses tracking accuracy. The side buttons would be usefull but they are slightly misplaced and easily pressed accidently so I end up holding the mouse in a way to try and avoide their use.

The tracking accuracy with a clean sensor seems peculiar and not quite right no matter how much adjusting of software parameters.

The scroll wheel works fine in all its modes.

The best mouse I have come across lately is a Wireless Logitech Couch Mouse, it has a completly sealed sensor and perfect for use with a laptop. It was somthing similar I wanted but a corded version, but Logitech do not make one, so far.

All in all I have found the M500 Mouse does not suit my needs.

Logitech M515 Wireless Mouse - Silver
Logitech M515 Wireless Mouse - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech M515 Couch Mouse, 2 April 2013
Have been using one of these for around four months and it has been faultless. I purchased the mouse specifically for the sealed tracking sensor which allows it to be used on soft furnishings, and hard, without picking up dust and debris and cat hair inside the optical sensor. I use this mouse exclusively with a laptop and it is very handy to sit down on a couch and use a mouse on the cushion or a rug etc.

The plus points are:
Sealed tracking Sensor
Wireless connectivity
Two year battery life
Receiver is tiny and is permenantly in a usb port
Works flawlessly
Scroll wheel choice is toothed or free to spin

I can not think of any bad points so its five stars from me.

CLiPtec® Micro Bluetooth Dongle Ver 2.1 + EDR
CLiPtec® Micro Bluetooth Dongle Ver 2.1 + EDR
Offered by ExpressPro

1.0 out of 5 stars Cliptec Bluetooth Dongle, 19 Mar. 2013
Just purchased one of these and thought I would record my initial assessment.
Firstly the dongle is quite long and sits well out of the USB socket on my PC. The metal plug is 15mm long and a standard USB plug is 12.5mm long so about 4mm of the plug protudes plus the black plastic housing, so not exactly inconspicious but is acceptable on my tower PC.
The software is Bluesolei which I have used before but is not what I expected.

My reason you buying this item was to enable me to syncronise my mobile calender with my outlook.com calender.

There is no software with the dongle but it is available as a download from theCliptec website although it seems to be a trial version. Not sure if I will be asked to pay for it but if I do I will be sending the item back as a software cost is not specified.

I have plugged the dongel in and downloaded and installed the Bluesolie software. The initial pairing of the mobile and the dongle went ok but after a test file transfer the connection was broken and I have not yet managed to reistablish it.

I am not a novice with computers and software but I am not entirely happy with this purchase. I will keep trying but I do not see why I should struggle to use a device such as this. The price is excellent but if it does not do what it advertises there is no point. I will update this review when I have had another go with the dongle.

Well, back again, after further use I can now finish my review.
On a newly booted PC I can insert the Cliptec Dongle and pair my mobile with the PC, so far so good.
When I try and use the Nokia software to syncronise PC and mobile it does not see the phone via bluetooth, a hard wired usb cable works fine though.
When I break the bluesolie bluetooth link it can not be remade without rebooting the PC.

To be sure I started again and plugged in an old bluetooth dongle and guess what it works perfectly. Also the Nokia software sees the bluetooth link and allows syncro, file transfer etc.

So my conclusion is that this device is not very good. I may be doing somthing wrong but how can you tell without a manual for the device.

My review is altered accordingly from three to one star.

Page: 1 | 2