Profile for Sock Monkey > Reviews

Content by Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey "SockMonkey" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Filofax Personal London Underground Map
Filofax Personal London Underground Map

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE - This Map is Completely Out of Date for the Overground, 27 Mar. 2015
The Overground map is VERY out of date. It does only shows it going as far south a sNew Cross/New Cross Gate and doesn't show the completed orbital stations.

Carsick
Carsick

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud? I was almost sick with laughter., 28 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Carsick (Kindle Edition)
I have had to stop reading this on the train home from work because it makes me burst out laughing at regular intervals with tears of mirth rolling down my cheeks. This disturbs other commuters, two of whom asked me yesterday what on earth I was reading.

Very, very funny.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

3.0 out of 5 stars The availability of books on Kindle is poor, 22 Aug. 2012
I am happy with the actual Kindle device: the text is clear and the screen readable. However, the titles available on the Kindle format is poor. I have managed to find 2 titles that I had been intending to buy for some time. Nothing recently published that I am interested in reading is available on Kindle.

I also tried out a sample of The Guardian newspaper buy cancelled that halfway through the trial period as I found it pretty difficult to navigate.

Amazon needs to push publishers much harder to produce their back and frontlists for e-readers. If you want crime novels, out of copyright titles and 'celebrity' biographies you will find lots of books available but for anything that is not mainstream you will be disappointed

More new and decent quality titles need to be made available or my device will remain empty forever.

Olympus 2GB XD M+ Card
Olympus 2GB XD M+ Card
Offered by iLevante-com

1.0 out of 5 stars IT JUST STOPPED WORKING, 4 July 2012
My card all of a sudden simply stopped working. We took some photograph and turned the camera off. When we turned t back on again about 15 minutes later to look at the photographs the card had simply stopped working. Cleaning it makes no difference and now I have card error message.

Too expensive, particularly for something that just stops working.

Ergolife Chair
Ergolife Chair
Offered by Urban Gifts

2.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars across the board. Really? I don't think so., 1 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Ergolife Chair (Garden & Outdoors)
One of the reasons I decided to buy this chair was because of all the rave reviews on here. Reviews on other websites are not quite so glowing. These are my findings:

1. I am a small to medium framed woman weighing 9 stones. I defy anyone heavier or fatter than me to fit into this thing. Also I doubt it could take any more weight without coming apart at the seams. For these reasons, my partner took one look at it and said, "I don't think so" when I said 'Do you want to try it?"

2. Once you have wedged yourself in and are sitting not particularly comfortably, if you decide to move around and change sitting position it is difficult to do so without having the frame dig into your back or sides.

3. Its not so bad if you sit upright with one leg bent with your foot on the ground and your other ankle balanced across your knee but I have found no other position comfortable at all.

Yes it comes in a nice carry bag, yes its light. But is just isn't comfortable.

Save yourself the money and sit with your back against a tree. Its just as good.

The Pleasure Garden [DVD]
The Pleasure Garden [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hattie Jacques

4.0 out of 5 stars An Odd and Interesting Film - Plus a Bonus Film!, 21 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Pleasure Garden [DVD] (DVD)
I have been looking for this film ever since I read an autobiography of Hattie Jacques a year ago. Up until recently this film was not available on any format.

The biography mentions this short (its only about half an hour long) being filmed in Crystal Palace Park which is very close to where I live. Naturally I was fascinated to see what the park looked like in 1953 - not long after the Crystal Palace burned down and before a proper clear up had been undertaken.

It is very interesting to see that the park was very overgrown and there were a lot more statues lying around than there are now. In fact much of what we can see of the park is derelict. We also have a couple of street shots and that is also nice to see as you can play 'Where is that part of South London". Historically this is a nice piece of film.

As for the actual plot of the film - it is a fantasy. The park is full of people looking for love, so we have quite a few odd characters wandering around. Hattie plays the fairy Godmother who sprinkles her magic around like cupid. Her then husband, John Le Mesurier, also appears in the film as a creepy sort of character who seems to be in charge of the park in some way. There isn't much dialogue either. It really is pretty surreal - the film won a prize at a film festival for such subjects.

As a bonus on the DVD you also have "Phoenix Tower" which is how the Crystal Palace transmitter tower came about and shows us the design and construction process. This is even more interesting than the main feature! All around the base of the tower are bits and pieces of old statues which were destroyed when the Crystal Palace burned down and they certainly aren't there now. Its also very interesting to see Health and Safety at work in the 1950's (ie there doesn't seem to be any!) The film shows the tower being made in sections then painfully constructed on site bit by bit.

I wanted to get hold of The Pleasure Garden because I live in Crystal Palace and was fascinated to see a film which was shot inside the park in 1953. I am also a big fan of Hattie Jacques and wanted to see this little-known film of hers. I wasn't disappointed and the bonus film about Phoenix Tower was a welcome addition to the DVD.

Bronson [DVD]
Bronson [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt King
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 12 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Bronson [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this at the cinema when it was first released. It is without a doubt one of the worst films I have ever seen in my life.

Tom Hardy's acting was cringeworthy and not very believable.

Whilst the fantasy scenes eluded to Bronson's own fantasies, these scenes were just annoying.

The whole film seemed to flit around with no direction.

Best of it was I saw this with a friend who works in prisons and has met Bronson in a professional capacity several times. She found it just as dire as I did.

An interesting subject badly executed.

Hoover TC5223 Dust Manager purple cylinder vacuum cleaner 2200W
Hoover TC5223 Dust Manager purple cylinder vacuum cleaner 2200W

1.0 out of 5 stars I HAVE MORE SUCK THAN THIS, 17 Nov. 2008
This is hopeless! Its suction is almost non-existent. And it needs to be emptied very frequently - ie every time you vacuum just one room.

I would not recommend buying this product in the slightest. You can get much better appliances for less money.

A Life in Pieces: The harrowing story of a woman with 17 personalities
A Life in Pieces: The harrowing story of a woman with 17 personalities
by Richard K. Baer

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is Amazing, 14 May 2008
As the synopsis above says, this is the story of one woman who had 17 separate people living inside her head, and her psychiatrist's fight to help her over the following decade.

Reading through the book we meet each of Karen's personalities where they all reveal a little more of her harrowing childhood experiences and why they were 'born' to help her through times where she would not have been able to cope as herself.

This book is stunning. I just could not put it down and as the story unfolds it becomes more and more absorbing.

I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Longtime Companion [DVD]
Longtime Companion [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stephen Caffrey
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember the time before AIDS arrived?, 11 April 2008
This review is from: Longtime Companion [DVD] (DVD)
I love this film so much. It follows the lives of several gay men and the impact that AIDS has on them all.

The film opens with the main characters waking up on 3 July 1981 and discovering the article in the New York Times which reports of a 'Rare Cancer found in Homosexuals'. This is against the backdrop of the 4th of July holiday and some of the cast partying on Fire Island in an age of what now seems complete inocence.

Each 'chapter' in the film picks the events from a random day in the following years until 1989. The intervening years have seen illness, the death of several characters and cynicism overwhelming the characters.

This is a strong ensemble cast. Its a wonderful film which was produced on a very small budget and managed to overcome problems in distribution.

I think this and 'And the Band Played On' are very good complimentary pieces to watch side by side.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3