Profile for shimmer > Reviews

Doctor Who: Vampire Science
by Kate Orman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who - Vampire Science, 4 Nov. 2006
I'm something of a newcomer to the world of Doctor Who. I discovered the series through the 2005 comeback TV episodes with Christopher Eccleston. After watching both Eccleston and Tennant, I found myself wanting to check out past Doctor adventures while I waited for season three episodes to be broadcast.

Vampire Science seemed to be a very popular book among on-line Doctor Who fans, and all the hype made me curious enough to see what it was all about for myself. I'm so glad I took a gamble and bought a copy...I'm not normally one to spend £15 on a book I'm not even sure I'll like, but doing so paid off this time.

This book is almost three hundred pages of non-stop excitement. It's a really gripping read and I finished it quickly. The portrayl of the Eighth Doctor is amazing - far better than what we got in the TV Movie. Unlike most TV or movie spin-off books, Vampire Science is written with a mature, sophisticated prose and didn't seem in the least bit "kiddie-fied", unlike the grossly disappointing Ninth and Tenth Doctor novels that are currently on sale. Each character serves a purpose and the storyline is full of edge-of-the-seat moments.

If I had one negative thing to say about the book, it would be the characterization of the Doctor's companion, Sam Jones. This is the first Eighth Doctor novel I've read. I don't know if Sam is always like she is in Vampire Science, but I found her left-wing activtist style attitude absolutely grating at times. Not because I'm especially right-wing - I'm quite a leftie, too, but I felt I was being preached at looked down on whenever Sam mentioned going on marches or not wanting to go to school with "upper-class twits" (Sam's words). Even without this, I found Sam annoying...more so in the beginning. She started off rather full of herself, though luckily this lessened as the story went on and I didn't mind her by the end. Though I connected a lot more with the other female characters, Caroyln and Joanna, than I did with Sam, even though Sam is a lot closer to my own age than they are.

I don't hesitate to reccomend this book. Especially if you like vampires as well as Doctor Who. It's a fantastic read - you won't be able to put it down once you've started.