Profile for Stars&Pills > Reviews

Stars&Pills

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 April 2014
Initially I wasn't sure about reading this book as it was popular (I tend to like things other people don't and vice versa) also I thought it might be a bit teenager-ish for my taste. I was so wrong. It pulled me in and I couldn't put it down. There's no need to write a book-long review; read it for yourself, it is well worth it. I loved it.

B
B
by Sarah Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: B (Hardcover)
This is a truly wonderful poem created by a truly wonderful poet. It is a must have for any poetry fan. Sarah Kay's performances are amazing and inspiring, as soon as I realised there was a print version of this book I had to have a copy and it makes a lovely gift for mothers, daughters, friends and family. I recommend it! I can't wait for her other book to be released in March 2014. The price is more than fair, for what you get, considering how expensive most things are these days, it's worth every penny.

Living Dead Girl
Living Dead Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but ok..., 24 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Living Dead Girl (Kindle Edition)
I wouldn't recommend it. It wasn't terrible but it was repetitive and longer than was necessary to get the pictures across, if you know what I mean.
I only bought it because it was supposed to be highly disturbing and shocking, one blogger even said they had to throw the book down more than once and regretted ever picking it up. However, unless you live a sheltered life away from modern society and have no awareness of what a cruel world we live in... you won't be that disturbed by it. It's a straight-forward account which it gives it a sense of realism which is probably why so many readers find it uncomfortable.
It isn't enjoyable in the sense of its content and subject but it's not badly written either. It reminded me of a shallower, more modern 'Lolita' attempted-spinoff. I give it 3 out of 5 stars, being a little generous.

Lolita (Penguin Modern Classics)
Lolita (Penguin Modern Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books..., 24 Aug. 2013
As an open-minded person there are several strong reasons as to why I consider this book one of my favourites and would recommend it to any other open-minded person interested in humanity, psychology, morality, society etc:
- It is uncomfortable; for me personally, anything that can push boundaries successfully deserves credit.
- It's thought provoking and offers a completely different perspective, one which many I doubt will have previously considered.
- It has the potential to change the way a reader views the subjects involved in the book.
It's one of those books I couldn't put down until I'd finished it yet it was so good I didn't want it to end! I would recommend this book to any open-minded, mature reader.

Haunted
Haunted

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Guts', 24 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Haunted (Kindle Edition)
Admittedly, I bought this book specifically to read 'Guts' after hearing that nearly 70 people fainted during a live reading. I can understand why. It was graphic and gory, but also contained hints of adult humour. Based on this one short story that I have read so far, I will be reading the rest of the collection.
Anyone who is interested in 'disturbing' literature should consider buying this book as it is very good within its genre. Although it isn't for the faint hearted or weak-stomached!

The Conjuring [DVD] [2013]
The Conjuring [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Vera Farmiga

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good..., 24 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Conjuring [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
As other reviewers have pointed out, it's not original enough to be considered a new 'classic' as it follows a standard storyline of demonic possession etc. However, it is very good. I would still recommend it as starts scary and ends scary and remains well paced throughout. As someone who is difficult to please when it comes to horror films, I am very pleased, and would watch it again (I very, very rarely watch films a second time!). I wasn't sure what to expect, as I'd heard many extremely positive reviews and I was setting myself up to be disappointed, but I wasn't at all.

Spiritually Incorrect Enlightenment (The Enlightenment Trilogy Book 2)
Spiritually Incorrect Enlightenment (The Enlightenment Trilogy Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars First Book Much Better, 11 Sept. 2012
I absolutely loved his first book in this trilogy, I wish I'd only bought that one and hadn't bothered with the second book.
If you're questioning whether to buy this book, I'd strongly recommend book one first at least. It will tell you everything you need to know. This one wasn't anywhere near as good because he seems to repeat himself in places, contradict himself in others and it is very negative in the beginning, whilst not as useful or inspiring as the first book.

Radically Condensed Instructions for Being Just as You Are
Radically Condensed Instructions for Being Just as You Are

2.0 out of 5 stars A Let Down..., 11 Sept. 2012
Even though it was only 77p, it was still a let down. Considering it's 'radically condensed', I found it rather unnecesserily wordy throughout. I'd rather have spent a little more money on something better. Some people might like it, but unfortunately, personally I found it to be a waste of time and a waste of 77p.

Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damnedest Thing (The Enlightenment Trilogy Book 1)
Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damnedest Thing (The Enlightenment Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Waking Up, 7 Sept. 2012
If you believe yourself to be a spiritual person (as I did/do), this book is worth reading. In fact, everyone - spiritual or otherwise - should read this book. I can't recommend it enough.
Although one may not totally agree with or understand some of the points the author makes, or even like the totality of the character himself, it has the potential to change the way you think about yourself, life and spirituality irreversably so. But you must be prepared for the truth. And to make use of such content, you must be prepared to cast away everything you think you know and hold dear.
A truly exceptional and outstanding book that highlights the first step and the struggle, very very well, toward non-dualistic awareness and truth realisation. It is inspiring in a way that has never been seen before in spiritual writings.

Jump or burn?