Profile for Chard > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Neato Robotics Botvac D85 Robot Vacuum, 0.7 Litre, 43 W, Black
Neato Robotics Botvac D85 Robot Vacuum, 0.7 Litre, 43 W, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Ok with cats, 19 Sept. 2017
My main uncertainty with buying a bot was how it would cope if it encountered some cat offerings during its nightly schedule. I posted a question and got some patronising replies (Check out the Q&A history), so I feel it time to provide proper advice to anyone else who may have similar concerns.
We have stone and tile floors and find that Skutter is great at keeping the dirt in check. Mouse guts pose no problem, I even found half a shrew in the dirt box once. It did fail when it once encountered a whole vole; Skutter had stopped and signaled to clean its brush, on inspection I found the whole rodent wrapped around the brush but once removed it went on its way happily (the bot, that is). No, I wouldn't put this device into a barn full of dead rats but if you have cats then you needn't worry too much about the night time cat gifts.
Above and beyond that, we love our Skutter and it has helped us to be a bit tidier by not leaving clutter and obstacles. It's hard to believe that two cats shed so much fur every night!
The cats themselves were scared of Skutter at first but after a few months have developed a relaxed attitude though they do perk up a bit when it gets near their food bowls. Tip, a bit of the magnetic strip along the edge of their food mat prevents Skutter from shunting their bowls around the kitchen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2017 9:07 PM BST

Kubo and the Two Strings
Kubo and the Two Strings
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Storytelling, 9 Jun. 2017
A delightful story about storytelling. Stunning animation.

Au Bain de Marie Toilet Brush, Wood
Au Bain de Marie Toilet Brush, Wood

2.0 out of 5 stars Disintegrates, 4 Jun. 2017
After a few months this brush started shedding bristles. Now after a year it has lost its effectiveness due to bristle loss.

ELECTRONIC BUG WASP INSECT FLY MOSQUITO ZAPPER SWAT SWATTER
ELECTRONIC BUG WASP INSECT FLY MOSQUITO ZAPPER SWAT SWATTER
Offered by Ram Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but not cheerful, 9 April 2017
Summer's coming again so I'm getting some new fly zappers, but NOT this one again.
Very flimsy build, feels like a child's cheap beach toy. The battery covers come off and you have to tape them back on.
Compared to other zappers, this one barely stuns the bugs. There's no resounding crack like you get when other devices make contact with a bug.
I'm surprised this is still on sale.

1byone 0.7 mm Paper Thin HDTV Aerial with Excellent Performance for Digital Freeview and Analog TV Signals, VHF / UHF / FM, Window Aerial, Soft Design
Offered by SeedPower

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple but brilliant, 30 Oct. 2016
With the advent of digital TV, I'd never considered replacing my old UHF aerial because it 'worked'...until it didn't.
I just plugged this device in and it worked. I experimented with positioning but never even saw the signal flicker no matter which diection I orientated it.
Granted that I am within visual range of my transmitter but that has caused issues in the past with reflection interference.
Cheap at the price and arrived in less than a day with Prime.

Update: After initially giving this a glowing a review, I feel I have to downgrade my rating. This aerial did not turn out ok on all channels, even with an additional signal booster it was intermittent on some channels. I've since bought a rival flat HDTV aerial and problems appear gone.

Match Holder with Extra-long Fireside Matches
Match Holder with Extra-long Fireside Matches
Offered by Beck's

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 30 Oct. 2016
A very cheap and tacky feel to the whole product. The construction looks and feels very tinny and stands out beside a woodburning stove as being a lesser item.
The matches are awful. The striking plate on the side is a joke because the matches are so stubborn to ignite and the striker card gets shredded and worn after a couple of uses. Even when the phosphor does ignite, the match is in danger of going out unless you protect it as if you're out in the open.

Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Red
Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Red
Offered by I SEWA

5.0 out of 5 stars A reliable work horse, 16 Oct. 2016
I bought a couple of these three years ago and they keep on going.
I'm writing now because I recently retrieved one from the washing machine and hey, it still works!

3.1040 E27 ES E27 Edison screw batten fixing lampholder
3.1040 E27 ES E27 Edison screw batten fixing lampholder
Offered by Ryness Lighting & Electrical

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but does the job, 4 Jun. 2016
It seems that I was not the only one baffled on how to connect this up. Quite simple in the end, just poke the copper into the slots.
This works perfectly with mains cable which has a stiff single copple strand but might be tricky if you're using flex cable.
Since it seems to require mains cable, it is unfortunate that it doesn't have a connection for the earth, so you need to secure that yourself.
A bit bulkier than similar devices for bayonet connections but does the job, in the end...

Stihl Strimmer Wire Line 0000 930 2343 2.7mm 68M Red Round
Stihl Strimmer Wire Line 0000 930 2343 2.7mm 68M Red Round
Offered by HighTechCOM

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've ever used, 29 May 2016
I've had a strimmer for years and have tried a variety of lines. This stuff really is the best, maybe Stihl have improved their plastic but it's very strong and I find myself having to feed out more line very rarely now. It doesn't seem to mind brambles and is even quite resilient when you hit wire fences. The spool has handy tie off slots too.

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 - Placa base (Controlador LAN: Realtek RTL8111E, Puerto de salida S/PDIF)
Offered by CCL Computers

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy for a Win 10 upgrade, 25 Mar. 2016
My old motherboard wasn't quite up to a Win10 upgrade, so I took the plunge and got one of these boards. No regrets.
The manual is clear and the upgrade was painless. For the additional price of a new processor and a 64bit Windows license, I have quantum leaped my pewter for less than £200.
This may not be today's top of the range board but it can certainly be described as a Best Of The Rest.
The chipset supports dual graphics without additional graphics cards.
Be aware that there are no IDE disk/DVD connectors, so make sure you have SATA devices.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2016 10:51 AM BST