Profile for Roxy > Reviews

Roxy

Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star
Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great lady, 24 Jun. 2014
Despite not being an Everything But the Girl fan, I decided to read this as I'm of this era. Tracey Thorn's story is told with discretion, yet enough self-reflection to comment when she was being a bit too... um... well I guess too 'right on' for her own good. I think we all have strong beliefs when we're young, and these soften as we get older as we begin to understand others perspectives, and reading Tracey's story shows a woman throughout her life who becomes less staunched in certain beliefs.

Tracey seems to have lived a blessed life, despite the horrible trauma her partner went through when ill. It's almost a relief to read a book where there is no torturous childhood or skeletons in the closet. Or if there is, Tracey isn't sharing.

Orange Is the New Black: My Time in a Women's Prison
Orange Is the New Black: My Time in a Women's Prison

4.0 out of 5 stars Fan of the series...?, 24 Jun. 2014
If you, like me, are a fan of the series, and would like to know which bits are true and which bits are the figment of a creative television writers mind, then I suggest you read this book. I'm also interested in penal reform, and enjoying learning about what is felt to be rehabilitative within the prison environment.

The writer, Piper, is a much more all-round-nice-girl than the Piper on television, and I felt incredibly fond of her. The book highlighted to me how difficult prison must be for so many, and how well the writer coped. She's obviously a very intelligent woman, despite her misjudgment which led to her criminal past, and it's interesting to read how she managed to relate to a wide variety of fellow inmates despite seemingly having little in common with them.

Definitely worth a read.

The Family Fang: Film tie-in
The Family Fang: Film tie-in

5.0 out of 5 stars Different to anything before, 11 Sept. 2012
A book about a family, unlike any other I've read before. The Fangs are artists who use their children as pawns in their performances. Now those children (Child A and B) are grown up, and quite unsurprisingly, a little messed up as a result.

This story is about how they struggle to cope with being adults and deal with the way their obscure upbringing makes them feel about their parents.

There were bits of this book that made me gasp with shock, particularly some of the performance pieces, and I sat in a pub telling my husband and his friend about it, and both of them laughed at some of the stories I was able to tell.

I loved it - very funny, very different.

Underbelly - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Underbelly - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rodger Corser
Offered by ajdiscs

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 April 2011
I became addicted to watching the second series of Underbelly when I was recently in Australia (unforutnately it doesn't appear to be available on DVD in the UK yet, but when it does, I will be hanging out to purchase it!).

On my return to the UK I bought Underbelly the first series on DVD box set from Amazon. Fortunately the first series is as good, if not better. It is based on a true story, and I've since become slightly obsessed with reading about the real characters on the internet. Go to Google images to check out how great the casting is, especially with 'Benjy'.

I've not watched the Sopranos or anything similar as I very rarely watching TV series. However, this has whet my appetite to see what else is out there and I'll start buying more box sets of the same genre.

I cannot rave about this series highly enough!