Profile for K. Probert-briggs > Reviews

K. Probert-briggs

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Freya
Freya

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Britain's greatest underrated authors - rectify this instantly !, 16 May 2016
This review is from: Freya (Kindle Edition)
Having read all of Anthony Quinn's novels I was eager to read his new novel which features some characters from his last brilliant novel Curtain Call although it's a stand alone novel. Some readers has expressed disappointment that it's not as good as his last , I disagree , I totally loved Freya and still think Quinn is one of the UK's most underrated writers . I find his writing style far most enjoyable than more popular authors such as Sebastisn Faulks, Ian McKuen etc. He seems to be able to describe situations in such a natural manner and his characters really come alive on the page. I find with each of his novels he just gets better and better. So looking forward to the next one. Thank you Mr. Quinn

Maestra: The most shocking thriller you'll read this year
Maestra: The most shocking thriller you'll read this year

1.0 out of 5 stars Well yes it is " shocking" but not in a good way !, 18 Mar. 2016
Seriously I think this is the worst book I have ever read ! How it has received so much hype I cannot believe. It thinks it's a sect thriller , it's not and even more importantly the writing is simply BAD . I am not a fan of 50 Shades which this rubbish tries to copy but I , at least could appreciate 50 Shades was not that badly written - this is !! Don't believe the hype - even if Amazon - who are also to blame for advertising this rubbish as " the most shocking thriller ....." sell it for 99pence - save your cash .
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2016 12:34 PM GMT

Behind Closed Doors: The gripping psychological thriller everyone is raving about

1.0 out of 5 stars And that is where it should have stayed !, 4 Mar. 2016
Well as a comedy I would rate this 5 stars but as a thriller it's just about one of the most unbelievable I have ever read ( and I have read a few !!). I simply cannot understand just how many people are rating this so highly . I am more than happy to suspend my belief for a gripping story but this simply is utter tosh - never for one minute did I believe in Jack ( boo hiss ) or simpering Grace . I know so many authors are going for the next Gone Girl or Girl On A Train but to try and flog this in the same league is hysterical . Having said all that I finished it and enjoyed it BUT for all the wrong reasons !

The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
The Trouble with Goats and Sheep

3.0 out of 5 stars As my school report use to say " must try harder!", 3 Mar. 2016
I had read all the hype and certainly the first quarter of the book was funny and different . Sadly I think it got very repetitive and just could not substain the length. The characters became irritating and the whole tone of the novel felt a bit patronising . I didn't hate it and I finished it but I wish I had cared more about the characters and the outcome

The Ice Twins
The Ice Twins

1.0 out of 5 stars The Dead Boring Twins, 3 Nov. 2015
This review is from: The Ice Twins (Kindle Edition)
What a disappointment. The reviews were so great I thought this was going to be a thriller in the same style as The Girl On The Train but how wrong was I !! This is awful, unbelievable rubbish - didn't believe the premise for one moment and the characters were so badly written as was the dialogue .

A Brief History of Seven Killings: WINNER of the Man Booker Prize 2015
A Brief History of Seven Killings: WINNER of the Man Booker Prize 2015
by Marlon James

1.0 out of 5 stars It ain't brief and even worse, it ain't any good !, 17 Oct. 2015
OK I was hoping that either A Little Life or Did You Ever Have A Family would win BUT this is terrible , I reckon the worst Booker winner ever ( and there have been some bad ones!) . What I hate most about this book is that it is so inaccessible - I do not come from Jamaica and do not understand the dialect so why does the author just assume that people not from Jamaica will understand the language and slang - I hated it . The story was a rambling mess , the characters hateful and half the time I had not got even the remotest idea what was going on . The Booker Prize is a long standing award that always causes controversy with critics & public alike - the long list and what will make the short list is always interesting and , on occasions a real gem of a novel has won ( Wolf Hall for example) . This however is a dire excuse of a novel .
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2015 7:14 AM BST

Purity
Purity

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a letdown !, 6 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Purity (Kindle Edition)
What a disappointment - I loved The Corrections and Freedom but this was pretty dire. I just did not like or connect to the characters and found the story unbelievable and frankly utterly boring. I finished it as I hate to give up but this has to be the literary disappointment of the year !
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2015 8:52 PM BST

Did You Ever Have a Family
Did You Ever Have a Family

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply a masterpiece, 20 Sept. 2015
I have read so many long listed Booker contenders over the years and so often wondered how on earth they got nominated , this should not only win the Booker Prize but sit alongside other modern American classics such as To Kill A Mockingbird . It's a story that simply blew me away , the characters are so real and the way the story is structured is beautiful. It's a heartbreaking story but an honest one and I will also purchase a hard copy as its a book that I want to see sit proudly on my bookcase . Mr. Clegg has written a brave and beautiful book .

A Little Life
A Little Life

2.0 out of 5 stars Longlist for ( far too) long novel !, 15 Aug. 2015
This review is from: A Little Life (Kindle Edition)
I understand the hype this novel is getting and it's an obvious Booker Longlist choice , my problem is it's ridiculous length , it just does not justify it. The central character Jude has been abused as a child and " less is more" would have been a much better option- personally I got so bored with reading about his abuse . The whole book became a tedious chore which I was determined to finish. It's not even a " bad book" but it's so in need of editing big time. Sadly with all the hype it's getting it seems to consider itself a " modern day classic" , in my opinion it is nothing more than a fairy typical American view of a dysfunctional character . Depressing and average .

Go Set a Watchman
Go Set a Watchman

3.0 out of 5 stars Far from a classic !, 30 July 2015
This review is from: Go Set a Watchman (Kindle Edition)
Very mixed feelings . I certainly don't think it's a classic and I think it's rather tarnished To Kill A Mockingbird. Up to a point I enjoyed meeting the charaters again but it felt rather laboured . The ending was also rather hard to believe. Many fans of Mockingbird are going to have to read this and make their own minds up . Personally I am glad I read it but as a stand alone novel it's very average

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4