Profile for John Usher > Reviews

Love Me If You Dare [DVD]
Love Me If You Dare [DVD]
Dvd ~ Guillaume Canet

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit boring., 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Love Me If You Dare [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this because my wife has seen it before and she likes it. I could take it or leave it. Was really quite boring. I found it difficult to empathise with the protagonists, they just came across as incredibly selfish, uncaring and immature.

Don't tell my wife I told you this but it's not worth the money.

Luke for Everyone (New Testament for Everyone)
Luke for Everyone (New Testament for Everyone)
by Tom Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars Still fresh., 6 Oct. 2011
Having read Matthew for Everyone parts 1 & 2 and Mark for Everyone, I was beginning to wonder whether Wright's commentary for Luke would start to sound samey. It didn't , it remained fresh, exciting and insightful. Worth every penny. I can also recommend John Goldingay's old testament equivalents.

Making Saints: Religion and the Public Image of the British Army, 1809-1885
Making Saints: Religion and the Public Image of the British Army, 1809-1885
by Kenneth E. Hendrickson

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid contribution., 6 Oct. 2011
This book formed a very helpful part of the jigsaw of references that I needed for my M.A dissertation and now for my PhD research. I haven't read it page to page but Hendrickson has produced some solid scholarship here. Anyone interested in 19th century evangelical "soldier's homes" in barracks in England, could do worse than starting with this book.

Genesis for Everyone: Part 2 chapters 17-50
Genesis for Everyone: Part 2 chapters 17-50
by John Goldingay

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as Wright., 6 Oct. 2011
Many people will be wondering if Goldingay's books are as good as Tom Wright's New Testament equivalent. They are! Buy them!

Genesis for Everyone: Part 1 chapters 1-16
Genesis for Everyone: Part 1 chapters 1-16
by John Goldingay

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 3 Sept. 2011
I'm guessing that a lot of people, like me, will buy a copy of Goldingay's Genesis for Everyone Part 1 having been inspired to do so by the successful New Testament for Everyone series by Tom Wright. I'm also guessing that a lot of people, like me, will be wondering one thing: are Goldingay's Old Testament commentaries as good as Wright's New Testament commentaries? Well, I've read Mathew for everyone parts 1 & 2 and I'm half way through Mark for Everyone. I've also nearly finished Genesis for Everyone Part 1. I actually read Goldingay in the evening and Wright in the morning, (my wife reads Goldingay in the morning and Wright in the evening).

In my humble opinion, yes, Goldingay's commentaries are as good as Wright's. In fact, at times, I would think that I was reading Tom Wright only to realise with a start that it was in fact Goldingay. I like Genesis for Everyone because Goldingay is that terrific breed of Christian writer: a trustworthy scholar, with a critical eye but tempered with genuine faith that ensures he is never unnecessarily or overly deconstructive.