Profile for Ms. P. J. O'CONNOR > Reviews

Content by Ms. P. J. O'CONNOR

Ms. P. J. O'CONNOR "Pen" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Hama DVD-ROM Laser Cleaning Disc
Hama DVD-ROM Laser Cleaning Disc

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked, 25 Jun. 2014
Use it immediately on my laptop DVD player and worked immediately to bring back my a smooth sound track.

Star Trek Into Darkness [DVD]
Star Trek Into Darkness [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Pine

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adventure, mayhem and disaster which the core team ..., 25 Jun. 2014
Really exciting film. I'm a Trekkie and hadn't seen this one on big screen. Great adventure, mayhem and disaster which the core team win through in the end , with Cumberbatch playing the villain - not unlike Sherlock Holmes really. He has great use. Really knows how to sit upright. Well done Alexander teachers! It made me think he could have been cast as the arch villain Moriarty. Anyway, back to Star Trek - this doesn't fail to entertain and very wild stuff compared to the original. Pegg is great as Scottie. All highly improbable and like the latest Bond, is an old fashioned arch villain story - deranged man wanting to get revenge, Not exactly sci-fi, but in the setting of sci-fi.

Game of Thrones - Season 3 [DVD] [2014]
Game of Thrones - Season 3 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Peter Dinklage

5.0 out of 5 stars Continuing tales of everyday fantasy folk in medieval kingdoms., 21 Mar. 2014
The saga continues. I think the whole series so far is a great adaptation from the books. I love watching the televised characters and getting to know them again - they more or less fitted with my imaginings of them, although Dinkworth looks prettier than Tyrian is depicted in the novel. Great cast - it's keeping our UK Equity members in work, that's for sure - Charles Dance is marvelously evil. And the Knight of Flowers is really cute and not long out of drama college...
If you've seen series 1 and 2, then this will not disappoint - but continues to mount up the excitement and surprises.

Lucid Body: A Practical Guide to the Energetics of Acting
Lucid Body: A Practical Guide to the Energetics of Acting
by Fay Simpson

4.0 out of 5 stars Exploding chakras!, 21 Mar. 2014
I chose this rating because it was a fine book with interesting ideas, using the energy centres in the body as a starting point for actors to transform into characters. I didn't give it 5 because I'm not sure I would use this form much. It was well written and sets out clearly Fay's ideas and formula, so I would recommend reading it and then go take a workshop in it to really explore this way of it appeals to you.

Poems on the Underground (Penguin Hardback Classics)
Poems on the Underground (Penguin Hardback Classics)
by Judith (ed Chernaik

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasurable anthology., 1 Jan. 2014
I loved this as I often read the poems on the London underground as I wanted to have a record of them. The book is unusually bound - hardback and the scaled down dimension of the posters on the tube trains where they are displayed. It gives them a nice space on the page. I read them all from start to finish and it was a feast of literature from all corners of the world, from all periods of time, some well known, some obscure. It is laid our into 16 different 'stations' or themes eg London, Love, The Wider World. Very clearly thought out and designed, and some excellent writing of course!

TV Ears 2.3 Headset Only
TV Ears 2.3 Headset Only

5.0 out of 5 stars Relief from loud TV!, 1 Jan. 2014
I live with my beloved husband who is very deaf and these are invaluable in making sure he can hear the tv and I am not deafened in the process. They are easy to set up and work well. There is one design weakness - the headphones if pulled apart too often and roughly to get onto the ears, will break near the bottom, and then although you can mend them with sticky plaster, they won't fit so well and it is expensive to replace the headset . Otherwise quite robust -this is the second set we've got and they are used all the time. The battery charges up fairly speedily and having two headsets mean that one is charging whilst the other is being used.

The Madman: His Parables and Poems
The Madman: His Parables and Poems
by Kahlil Gibran

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent collection, 1 Jan. 2014
I have liked Kahlil's work since reading the Prophet years ago, and this anthology of 35 poems and parables do not disappoint. There are accompanying illustrations by him, printed in black and white which have a hint of William Blake's work, something apocolyptic and surprising and lyrical. The work speaks for itself - there are no forwards or explanations anywhere.

Cloud Atlas [DVD] [2013]
Cloud Atlas [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the book, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Cloud Atlas [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I was looking forward to this as I loved the book and wanted to be reminded of the plot and drawn into the tangled web of lives playing out through time. However I was a little disappointed . The acting was fine - Tom Hanks is pretty good isn't he?! - and the futuristic scenes excellent, But somehow it was so disjointed, I wasn't gripped by it and could take it or leave it. It wasn't so easy to follow.

The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister
The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister
by George R.R. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Tyrion lovers!, 22 Nov. 2013
This is a great little book of Tyrion quotes, one which any lover of Tyrion and Game of Thrones will like as a xmas stocking present to peruse through and smile at whilst waiting for the Turkey to cook .....

Questions of Travel
Questions of Travel
by Michelle de Kretser

3.0 out of 5 stars Questioning questions of travel, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Questions of Travel (Paperback)
It's a huge volume of two stories from Sri Lanka and Australia entwining in a modern fable - nice to read something very up to date and encompassing the Great Escape of westerners wanting to experience the world through hostels and cheap hotels, and the 3rd world lot of those wishing to escape but often unable to, except through the internet. it is a novel of our times. Trouble was for me I didn't warm to the Australian heroine. I didn't care about her enough. The Sri Lankan hero was much more interesting - particularly the shocking violence done to his wife - that is very haunting. They are both loners seeking something - but in the end, it all became a jumble of affairs and love stories in a tour office.......and no happy ending. Not that I need a happy ending, but it was all kind of ...uncomfortable and unsatisfying. Maybe that was the point. The relationship between the individual and the collective world.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7