Profile for Longshot > Reviews

The Thing (2011) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Carpenter it ain't, but still worth a watch, 15 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Thing (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
I loved the remake of 'The Thing From Another World' by John Carpenter back in 1982, I saw it a year later in 83 when I was 13 and it totally blew me away, sending me into a Carpenter frenzy back then (when his work was still quality with classics such as Escape From New York, The Fog and Assault On Precinct 13 etc........ man I must have watched them until the VHS tapes wore out).

This, whilst it can't seem to make it's mind up whether it's a prequel, a stand alone or even a remake, is actually not a bad sci-fi monster flick if you take it as it is.

Yes, it lacks much of the menace, feeling of isolation and fear of who is and who isn't of the 82 film and yes, whilst it tries to tie in certain parts or explain why and what the Americans find (Kurt Russell et al) when they arrive at the Swede's (they're Norwegians MacReady......;) base later, it then proceeds to make errors in doing so from time to time.

Examples that springs to mind would be the Americans finding video footage (in 82) showing the Norwegians using thermal charges to blow up the ice and thus exposing the ship (the same footage funnily enough used in the James Spader film Alien Hunter) yet in this we see the engines of the spaceship melting the ice and why didn't Russell and his chopper crew find the snow cat that would be left parked next to the ship according to this prequel. Also they clearly have technology here (microscopes etc), well in advance of the Americans in 82.

They make reference numerous times about never being alone with one another just in case one of them is 'The Thing' and yet time and again we see two people undertaking tasks together....huh??!!

What seemed oddest for me and why I mention remake above is that many of the dialogue exchanges and even situations the characters find themselves in, almost mirror Carpenters exactly and I couldn't for the life of me understand why they did this.

The CGI perhaps isn't up to par in realism as Rob Bottin's latex and liquid FX, but whilst not as err.... well.....gooey, it, for me wasn't terrible, just........ different I guess.

Many reviews I read prior to watching, slated the fact the alien appears almost unabashed and pop out at the slightest provocation, however it did seem to become more cunning as the film progresses and this may account for and explain it being more covert in the 82 film.

As I say, there are plot holes aplenty here but most movies seem to have them these days and to be fair even the '82 Thing has it's flaws, but if you watch this as perhaps more of an 'homage' than anything else and really just for an exciting sci-fi alien monster movie then I don't think you will be disappointed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2012 1:51 AM GMT

The Rising Horde, Volume Two (Sequel to "The Gathering Dead")
The Rising Horde, Volume Two (Sequel to "The Gathering Dead")

3.0 out of 5 stars Good finale........ but enjoyed 'Gathering' and 'Left' more., 7 Oct. 2012
*I know I am cheating slightly here by copying my review from Volume One, however the principal of my review is the same as technically this is one story split into two books*

Loved 'Gathering Of The Dead' and 'Left With The Dead' and whilst I did enjoy these two tomes (volumes one and two), sadly I just didn't like them as much.

My apologies, but it's been a while since I read these (as not had chance to catch up on reviews) so can only comment on what I remember.

I'm not a great fan of zombies that have residual memory or behaviour from their past existence prior to death and re-animation (just a personal thing), BUT....... was content to overlook that in both the prior two novels as it wasn't overdone and it was written in a fashion that made it seem quite plausible.
However here we have not only zombies firing automatic weapons, but they drag heavy artillery plus some shells and begin operating this with precision (even re-calibrating when they miss) and I really disliked the megamind zombie that it is inferred, can re-direct almost ALL the zombies (countrywide) to the fortress that the cure is being tested and synthesized at....... meh.

Also once again as with 'Gathering' we have the race issues in the military driven home and in your face. It seemed odd, unnecessary and almost awkward in 'Gathering' as I saw McDaniels as one of the leads in the story and his colour/race never even crossed my mind again once it had been initially addressed, until that is, it kept getting mentioned. Here in these two volumes it felt like it was mentioned in just about every chapter and I wasn't sure if the author has a personal axe to grind with regard with this, as again it seemed awkward and unnecessary with an almost brow beating repetition that just seemed incredibly preachy (I had thought as a society we had come far in eradicated racism (before anyone makes more of this paragraph than is intended) but I am not naive enough to think it doesn't still exist in certain circles, but the point being made, felt slightly like overkill here).

Don't get me wrong however as this had plenty of action and excitement throughout, but somehow it just lacked that wonderful desperation, tension and dread that you got from 'Gathering' and 'Left' and as gradually the pages began to fill with more an more military jargon, silly continual competitive squabbles between the different 'elite' units, out of place witty dialogue between characters when in highly dangerous situations and scenes peppered throughout the two volumes where people think of bigger and better ways to wipe out of more and more zombies en mass it did become a tad tiresome.

Despite this, I would definitely suggest you give both Volume One & Two a read (especially if you have read the prior two) as it's far superior to many of the pony zombie books flooding Amazon at the moment.

The Rising Horde, Volume One (Sequel to "The Gathering Dead")
The Rising Horde, Volume One (Sequel to "The Gathering Dead")

3.0 out of 5 stars Good....... but just not as good as it's predecessors, 7 Oct. 2012

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap isn't always cheerful.........., 2 Oct. 2012
These shoes feel big all round and it felt a little like my feet were rattling around inside (even with a fairly thick sock).

I tried to tighten the laces up to see if I could make them more 'snug', but when they get to the top of the shoe they are looped through a small section of webbing material which broke with very little pressure applied.

The whole shoe on close inspection seem to be of pretty poor quality and I wouldn't expect much of a life span from them.

Could only recommend these If you have pretty wide feet, otherwise I suggest you buy something else by spending a bit more (as I did when I sent these back).

Huge Cinch 1 2 3 or 4 Man Lightweight Pop Up Tent With 2 Entrances, 2 Storage Bays, LED Lighting, Canopies And Loads More

4.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe I am the first to review this tent....!!, 1 Oct. 2012
My son is Autistic and LOVES to camp, so we currently already have a trailer tent (when camping comfy style) and a Terra Nova 3 man tent if roughing it for a few days (when terrain too poor to tow the trailer or we have no electric to hook up to).

Bought this as an optional extra for quick camping just for one off nights on local farmland I shoot and have permission to camp, as sometimes we only want to stay a Friday or a Saturday. Also we may well take the Jeep on some overseas excursions (Morocco, Pyranees, Sardinia..... etc) and again at the end of a long off road drive, for the one night, this will be perfect (especially on my own whilst keeping an eye on my lad)

How fantastic is this.......??!! it's absolutely ENORMOUS..... which is great as my son never sits still for long and this allows us to have plenty of room each and even have space at one end for gear, kit and clothes etc......... or my Chocolate Labrador (or both......LOL).

All I will say is that whilst it is quite wide, once you put two 700mm wide self inflating mats in there, you couldn't fit a third person in there so it suits perhaps 2 adults and 2 children at most (sleeping 2 and 2).

Pops up in seconds and has guy ropes attached to main tent frame and peg eyelets to the base. It also has a secondary flysheet skin contained already within (giving you 2 zippered doors at either end) and this flysheet of course means you don't have moisture on the inside when you wake up (unlike the single skin Caranex tent, which I previously used to attach to the back of the Jeep, to use when on my own).

Packs down easy enough (but suggest you watch the demo on YouTube as I was worried about breaking it, due to written instructions that it came with being a bit naff) and once you have done it a couple of times, it's a doddle.

Only thing I need to do in addition with what came in the bag, is buy a ground sheet for it (generic one to fit) for no particular reason other than this is just me (always have had one for every tent I've owned, as you never know when you are going to end up on crappy ground).

Zombie Fallout
Zombie Fallout

2.0 out of 5 stars Comedy Fallout, 23 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Zombie Fallout (Kindle Edition)
Wasn't going to bother writing a review of this, having only read the free sample (and a while ago now). However.... following a statement on Amazon.com in the comments section under another review of this book, that I shouldn't be commenting as I had neither bought, nor read, nor reviewed the book (and therefore suggesting I am a Troll, even though the dialogue was not specifically related to this book) I though I would make an exception and pen something (and then decided I may as well post it on Amazon.co.uk also).

The comment that was made would be correct in so much the fact that I have neither bought, nor read this (in it's entirety).

I DID however read enough to know this isn't a book for me.

Is this a good book and well written overall.....?? I clearly couldn't say. But what I can say is that from the sample I downloaded, it just didn't read well for me at all.

Far too many comedic moments between the family members killed any threat or worry about their sudden grave predicament and dilemma (of suddenly seeing dead folk outside their property with no idea that the dead were rising beforehand) leaving you with what felt like an almost humorous portrayal of a family trying to avoid Jehovah Witnesses' from getting a copy of Watchtower through their door (full of glib comments and witty one liners to each other), rather than the dread, sheer terror and panic one would normally associate with this kind of situation (particularly as they had teenage children alone in other parts of Town).

The author also feels the need to give us the witticisms of the main characters mind (his humorous thoughts if you like)that are in abundance and almost continual.

I won't give many examples as this will spoil it for the reader and as I said, it was a while ago when I read it, but one that springs to mind is - Zombies are spotted on the street....the main character is wrapped in a towel (witty mental comment from character) and he runs outside to lock the front gate, but catches the towel on a door latch (and is thus naked - which gets another mental witty comment from his mind) and then he treads on dog dirt (yet another witty comment)....... I was waiting for the comedy rake on the lawn for him to tread on and whack him on the nose.

Seemed more like 'Shaun Of the Dead's' poor relation more than anything else (and I didn't care much Shaun Of The Dead either).

If you can get past the minor spelling, grammar and punctuation issues (I say minor because as I said, I only read the sample) and prefer to have a 'laugh' whilst dealing with the Zombie Apocalypse (as opposed to the bleak more 'realistic' approach) then this would probably be a winner (you may also like Leftovers in that case, which I also had to quit on, for similar reasons I mention above).

However, preferring the more bleak and realistic, I won't be buying either the rest of this book nor it's follow on's.

I still have neither bought, nor read this entire book, however I did review it and hopefully this now entitles me to comment once again on matters not relating specifically to this book........;)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2012 6:09 PM GMT

[Rec] Genesis [DVD]
[Rec] Genesis [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leticia Dolera
Offered by MediaMerchants

2.0 out of 5 stars [*WRECK], 10 Sept. 2012
This review is from: [Rec] Genesis [DVD] (DVD)
Or perhaps that should be [*DRECK]

Really, really, REALLY wanted to like this (as I loved the first two), despite the early poor reviews, however.........

This is almost a combination of the Evil Dead franchise meets Rec franchise (and Evil Dead wins).

Starts well enough with the Wedding video menu screen and it puts you onto slides when you click play (showing a few Wedding stills as though it were a real wedding video), but then it subjects you to an awfully large amount of wedding footage on camcorders prior to anything happening.

This in itself wouldn't be a bad thing if those wedding party members featured to any large degree became a focus of, or continued through the bulk of the story. But because this end up being almost slap stick with over the top gore and bizarre death scenes, with folk dying left right and centre, it really was a pointless exercise, and the whole outbreak could of happened much sooner (instead of wasting our time trying to make us care about people).

Even though it was (as every other review claims) nothing like the first two, I did try to watch it with a detached perspective....... But sadly even that became hard when you had the two dress up in medieval suits of armour (even the clip of this that they show on the menu screen looks farcical) and then the main bloke uses an industrial catering hand whisk/blender to kill one of the possessed by sticking it in it's mouth, I'm afraid I almost turned it off.

There is more but other reviews had already flogged it to death.

If you liked the Evil Dead trilogy and either haven't seen the first 2 Rec's or can totally disassociate this from them, then you may well enjoy this for the camp, pantomime, over the top, comedy slaughter fest that this is.

Otherwise if not and you want the dark, disturbing, creepy atmosphere of the first two, then you may want to avoid.

Land of the Dead (2005) [DVD]
Land of the Dead (2005) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dennis Hopper

1.0 out of 5 stars Land Of The Dud........, 9 Sept. 2012
Meh...... where do you start...???

I was SO looking forward to the release of this on DVD but was SO disappointed once I started watching.

Most of the 1 stars have covered the problems I had with this so pointless to re-hash them.

The only things I will state is that for me the biggest hoot was the bloke holding Dennis Hopper to ransom for millions of dollars or he'll shell the City with rockets from his armoured camper van.....err....and spend it where exactly...?? After holding them to ransom they are hardly going to welcome him into the fold....(perhaps he needed the paper for the camper van's on board sh*tter).

Other issues include -

Guys looting through throngs of zombies on motorbikes or in doorless Jeeps....??!!!
People are living in Fiddlers Green like it was just another day in the financial district complete with Muzak playing in the background..... hmm sure......all whilst the 'poor' folk are living in shanty towns outside.
Thinking zombies that can use tools and (almost) communicate verbally with actions.
The flip top head zombie that clearly has had it's head severed at the spine both walking around and managing to bite someone
The 'chunky' Samoan (AKA - Pilsbury) and pint sized girl (AKA - Motown.... sigh, what's with the silly nick names as there are many more) and crew are supposed to be the best on offer to stop the impending shelling of the city...??? come on.
Zombies don't appear around corners or in buildings until someone need to be bitten....... this is always lame (many other movies are lazy and predictable in this way).
People having their picture taken with a couple of chained zombies and chucking the woman into the zombie fighting cage was the final nail in the coffin for me as it became ridiculous.

Oh, and lastly (as I'm not sure it's been mentioned) I had a feeling it was going to be poor when the zombie musicians at the beginning (in the band stand) were able to blow trombones and trumpets (albeit poorly).......eh..??!!

On a positive note (there are so few).... zombie make up looks good as always in a Romero as is the scoffing folk in gory detail and there are a few genuinely chilling moments such as the zombies all surfacing in the water and walking to shore.

Worth seeing if your a fan of both zombies and Romero (just don't expect too much) but following this and the even poorer Diary I didn't even bother with the Survival one.

Will leave it there as these are only the ones I remember from seeing it upon it's DVD release years ago.

Remains [DVD]
Remains [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lance Reddick
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Being totally faithful to the comic isn't always a good thing, 9 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Remains [DVD] (DVD)
From what I remember of the comic, this 'remains' (no pun intended) pretty faithful.

However this may be unfortunately it's undoing as elements that you can pass off or are acceptable in print, in this come off as slightly pantomime and lame if not just a bit farcical (the plank across buildings scene and the jumping into the pool escape come to mind if you've seen it) .

Zombies sleeping or resting at night wasn't all that bad, but they would wake up to order. Music would blast out and they would all wake up at once, however gunfire would erupt and only one or two would seem to react at a time or when threatened with gunfire en-mass they would be kept at bay sometimes but not others.
It gave you the impression they were not mindless, with them being aware of danger (gunfire) and getting into rooms etc, but then they struggle to climb onto a flat bed truck (at waist height) to reach a group of people, which again was inconsistent.

The soldiers arrival scene was rushed, to the point where it may have been better to omit it altogether because you began to feel they were trying to cram too much into a short space of time (trying to illustrate cabin fever and boredom of being trapped in the same environment with the same people, as large as that environment is takes time and this is what eats up most of the movie but unfortunately it doesn't really do even that justice)

Don't get me wrong, as I did enjoy it and Evalena (apart from being hot....LOL) was great as the cow from hell to be trapped with (again very faithful both physically et al to the comic).

Some of the CGI was poor (the truck flipping over on it's return to the City is most memorable as is some of the fires etc), but on the whole if you have slightly lower expectations than perhaps say the Dawn Of The Dead remake (in both effects, acting and general story) and treat this more like a 'camp' zombie flick then you won't be disappointed.

Had some genuinely funny moments which I don't normally care for in a zombie film (don't hold Shaun Of The Dead in high regards because of this) but finding the only car they had keys for and then attempting to get out of the shuttered garage did make me laugh (as an example).

Worth a view if you can obtain it relatively cheaply but just don't expect an edge of your seat horror, treat it more like a made for TV zombie film and you'll enjoy it (although it's far better than Sci Fi channel stuff).

Better than much of the recent zombie garbage out there.

Outpost II: Black Sun [DVD]
Outpost II: Black Sun [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Coyle

2.0 out of 5 stars An Outpost On Elm Street, 9 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Outpost II: Black Sun [DVD] (DVD)
Having enjoyed the first part (Outpost) despite it's low budget and numerous flaws and plot holes, I was looking forward to the long awaited sequel.

Sadly this just goes to show that a bigger budget (I assume) and more studios & production companies sticking their oar in, doesn't necessarily make for a good film.

Won't go into great story detail other than to say that it lost just about all the dark moody and genuinely frighting aspects that worked so well in the first. Such as the limbo based WW2 German soldiers materialising in rooms behind characters and suddenly looming up behind them or stepping out of the dark to dispatch them (chilling for sure).

Here we have them turned into the usual Hollywood type monsters that lumber around dragging bodies about so the main characters can spy on them whilst hiding under a corpse or from behind furniture (which just makes them generic - swap them for Freddy or Leatherface or Jason or Michael Myres and chuck in a bunch of pretty teens to be killed one by one).
Also in the first, there was no urgency to their murdering, because they couldn't be killed and therefore just walked everywhere or as I said above appeared and disappeared in an instant. However here we have them chasing soldiers and the main characters almost 28 Days Later style, running around outside or walking around buildings making strange strangled squealing sounds.... why..?? (and fully visible which again takes the fright away somehow because they now run around in the daytime).

I read a review on IMDB saying something along the lines that in Jaws you hardly see the shark, yet in the sequels for some reason, the studios think the audience has to see more and more of it continually and it really doesn't work for the good, which is a similar failure here.
Possible Spoilers
The EMP idea to disable the 'device' that keeps the soldiers in limbo, whilst isn't bad, why couldn't they just helicopter one in or drop it by parachute and remote activate it if it has a 6 mile radius...???

The old fraulein crow like witch introduced at the end was unnecessary and totally pointless and clearly only done for a cheap scare and to creep you out (we then go back to usual Hollywood routine and the family of backwoods cannibals where we see the mother suddenly appear) as there has never been an inkling that a woman was involved in the tests back during the war.

Won't point out any more issues I had with it as this would spoil the film by talking about the climax of the film
Spoilers Over
The main girl was very unconvincing as a 'Nazi Hunter' (assume this was just so they could get a female lead but it could have been done better by having her as a soldier or one of the villagers even) and why have the second male lead (played by a Brit) use a dodgy American accent..??

The British soldiers the leads team up with were almost all unlikeable and you don't spend long with them (thankfully), therefore you could care less about their fate and to be honest, they were about as professional as sending in a bunch of blokes you rounded up in a pub.

Perhaps because it lacked the likeable character played by Ray Stevenson and his 'charming' redneck buddy (and the rest of the soldiers to be fair) it just fell flat.

Wanted to like this as much as I did the first, but sadly it was a bit of a let down.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2012 1:39 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5