Profile for T. R. Wantling > Reviews

Content by T. R. Wantling

T. R. Wantling "Rob Wantling" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Casanova Season 1
Casanova Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want it to end!, 8 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Casanova Season 1 (Amazon Video)
Initially sceptical..... come on Casanova.... how could you make this interesting beyond the obvious? But I have to say I thought it was brilliant, brutal, engaging and entertaining. The intrigues are intelligent, the characters plausible the setting breathtakingly, and I just did d nth want it to stop..... I'm demanding more of this series please. It's got me hooked.

The Prodigal
The Prodigal
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 7 Jun. 2015
Quality. Initially I was intrigued and wondered what could this period drama offer in the way of content, subjects and sense of place. I wondered how this was going to pan out! But I have to say I love every second of this production. The evil is so mean.... the social status of Wigs, colonialism and revolutionists and slavery are all interlaced. The internal struggles of tradition vs Revolution and what's motivates one or not to follow a calling. The role of women. I could watch any one of these in isolation and still enjoy the drama. The production is in my view outstanding..... and what a gift I had when I realized that series two had been released and I was able to watch 8 programs over a long weekend. It's excellent. Quality.

The Devil's Chariots': The origins and secret battles of tanks in the First World War (Digital General)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm all the wiser for reading it., 15 Mar. 2015
It's an excellent book pulling together all the threads of this bizarre weapon. I've been reading about Tanks for over thirty years and this just focused all aspects of the amazing story. I learnt new facts and had queries answered. Additionally I was shocked at just HOW ACTIVELY apathetic and negative the High Command was towards the weapon and its potential: and that it was production that forced the Army to develope the Tanks usage....... you would expect the reverse. But I have to say that from its inception the Tank story is a one of irony and opposing logic: the basic one being Who developed the initial Tank? The Navy...... I can recommend this book. I'm all the wiser for reading it.

[ JOURNEY'S END PLAY BY SHERRIFF, R. C.](AUTHOR)HARDBACK
[ JOURNEY'S END PLAY BY SHERRIFF, R. C.](AUTHOR)HARDBACK
by R. C. Sherriff

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a must read..... im richer for it., 31 Jan. 2015
A cultural, historic and social document that plays an important part in perceiving the Great War and impacts on men in the conflict embeded know as Trench warfare. Pressures of rank, status, standing and duty. Today we are aware of the condition of psychology and counselling: .nature and nurture, but in those days you were either a man or a man who lacked character...... the best analogy I can give on this is PARADE'S END. but journeys end is a powerful piece of literature and facts used are contemporary and extremely informative... just to give one example: today we are familiar with the turn batman to a officer..... but that term was not quoted till WW2. In WW1 it was a solder servant. ..... It's a must read in my opinion..... I'm the richer for it.

German Army at Ypres 1914, The
German Army at Ypres 1914, The

5.0 out of 5 stars Did you know the German Army actually marched in Ypres........, 31 Jan. 2015
This has given me a greater depth of understanding of the strategic, operational and realities of events that has so often been expressed in a mere sentence as a RACE TO THE SEA.... thanks to this book I feel I've gain a depth ....a extra layer of understanding to the whole importance of YPRES ....... highly recommend.

Unseen Newcastle-under-Lyme (Britain in Old Photographs)
Unseen Newcastle-under-Lyme (Britain in Old Photographs)
by Neil Collingwood

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT - its as easy as that......, 9 Sept. 2014
I have thoroughly enjoyed this new book. The author contacted me and informed that that I was again in the book so met with him at a St Giles Church and purchased a copy which he kindly signed. But the book is excellent for several more reason than that alone! Fantastically there are new images which had never seen the light of day before – possibly the reason for the books title; but also I’ve found the inclusion of contemporary maps an excellent addition. There is a section on what was called the Castle Street development! And readers have to understand that at its conception Newcastle was a very small borough indeed so any development was very close to the town. There’s an excellent session on the Trains that ran past Friarswood school which I remember well as a child! Also there are photos of Friaswood school and I bet there will be a few people who attended who will identify with the pictures of school children around 1960. An excellent bonus for me was the picture of the Tivey Brothers which shows them in WW1 North Staffordshire territorial uniforms with bayonets fixed, posing in a back-yard somewhere in Newcastle! Finally for me there are 3 amazing images taken looking up the Holborn and at the top of Holborn looking down. These are literally repaired glass slides that the author painstakingly repaired. Again on a personal level they show my old home The Dog & Partridge with its surrounding buildings on both sides. I enjoyed the book so much that on the following Sunday I took my Granddaughter on a small tour of the Old Holborn and with the aid of the book walked and showed my Scarlett where I was born and played. I was able to show her were to stand and that if she held out her hand she would be touching the Dog & Partridge!

In conclusion I love this book. There are over 200 photos and many wonderful explanations and even one image where your asked to identify the location!

Red 2 [DVD]
Red 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Red 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Enjoyed this follow up and thought the characters were excellent......and the fact that it was full of situations and action of which it just kept on comming.... theres no short change in this follow-up

Leon [DVD] [1995]
Leon [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Jean Reno
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Classical timeless entertainment, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Leon [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
Thoroughly enjoyed this Movie– What must be a classic, I missed it when it came out – (due to life being so busy) but thought the movie was amazing with characters being totally believable. Actually found this movie via the Sting Song! But as I said although this is years old – I felt (Its my view) that its quality was so high in performance and filming that it could be mistaken for a new film!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2014 10:07 PM BST

Passchendaele [DVD] [2008]
Passchendaele [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Paul Gross
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it or Hate it?, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Passchendaele [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Amazing film: It seems all the opinions tell me more about the authors than is does the Film: But, the scenes are incredible and the initial Passchendaele scene Sublime. The trenches are the best i've seen on a film yet! and could be used as a definite insight to the conditions: and the close-encounter of combat.

It also conveys the reality that there is the Home view of War and the Western Front View of War.

I'm glad i decided to watch the film so i could draw my own conclusions: and i enjoyed It.

The crucifixion scene - is best left to the individual! but all i will say is - The Christmas Truse of 1914! the story of Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler WW2.....

ps: re the belt comment.. yep with a wry smile.

Dunkirk: Fight to the Last Man
Dunkirk: Fight to the Last Man
by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore

5.0 out of 5 stars Ive been meaning to write this for 6 years - and now you will know why., 17 July 2013
I read this book 6 years ago as a take-away for my holidays. I had always had an arm-chair interest in both of the World Wars, but this book reached where no other had! Its now 6 years on and I'm still reading and collecting around this books main theme. I can't explain enough how every aspect of this book leads to yet another long period of enjoyable research and reading. Just to give you one example; we are all aware of the glider assault on Pegasus bridge on D-day by the Para's but can you just imagine my shock when the Germans had used this principle 4 years earlier!!!! On the 10th May on the fort of Eden-Emael: and effectively it was just one of many initial Special forces activities that were engaged on that morning! Me reason for mentioning this is because for the following year of my life I sort-out every source and reference on this assault and it was just phenomenal; from whose initial idea it was to the training, practicing with new secret-weapons and principles; the German-para's determination and even the role of the glider-assault-pilot!!

Also (and I could go on-&-on) Question: If I asked what was the biggest tank battle of WW2 I'm guessing you would be thinking to the Eastern-front! Well the events leading up to Dunkirk and the battle of Hannut need to be revisited! Also 1939-40 who had the biggest and best tanks? And Rommel in 1940! And also this book lets us know the answer to the ever spoken question of 'Where was the RAF?' you cant read this book without finding the reason and appreciation of why; and the book is laced with hundreds of personal accounts ie: The RAF account of Flight lieutenant Bill Simpson; I could go on-&-on. The book is amazing and thank you to Hugh Sebag Monefiore for the catalyst of an amazing event that changed History.

I now have a WW2 Battledress and equipment! So that I not only read about it but can touch history. This book is amazing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4