Profile for John Harrison > Reviews

Poems NOT On The Underground: A Parody
Poems NOT On The Underground: A Parody
by Straphanger aka Roger Tagholm

5.0 out of 5 stars Poems NOT on the underground, 4 Jun. 2011
Review to follow, BUT this is excellant. Get it from your library, its well worth it. Or buy a copy like I have just done. A spoof or parody of well known poems.

New Poems on the Underground 2006
New Poems on the Underground 2006
by Gerard Benson

4.0 out of 5 stars Poems on the underground (2006), 4 Jun. 2011
If you are on the fence when it comes to poetry, then these might be the anthologies to try for you. I have read a few of these (in this series), my favourate so far is the seventh edition. There are a few poems I like in this one. In each of these books they take poems from all types and of different times. A real true selection of poetry. Even though I like poetry myself, I find some poetry books just not for me. For example, I like some Wilfred Owen poems, but that doesnt mean I like them all. Anthologies dont always give you a chance to take a look at different styles. Some anthologies will concentrate on a particular style. Thats where for me these ones work well. Every one I have read, there are poems I like and those I dont. This is refreshing, and works because there are always poems you will like. So if you want an antholgy of poetry, this would be my choice.

Poems on the Underground: No. 7
Poems on the Underground: No. 7
by Gerard Benson

5.0 out of 5 stars Poems on the underground 7th Edition, 4 Jun. 2011
If you are on the fence when it comes to poetry, then this might be the anthology for you. I have read a few of these (on this series), and this one is my favourate. There are so many poems I like. In each of these books they take poems from all types and of different times. A real true selection of poetry. Even though I like poetry myself, I find some poetry books just not for me. For example, I like some Wilfred Owen poems, but that doesnt mean I like them all. Anthologies dont always give you a chance to take a look at different styles. Some anthologies will concentrate on a particular style. Thats where for me these ones work well. Every one I have read, there are poems I like and those I dont. This is refreshing, and works because there are always poems you will like. So if you want an antholgy of poetry, this would be my choice.

Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story
by Lynn C. Tolson

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the tears, 27 April 2011
This is a review I have done for my website and Amazon:

"Lynn C Tolsen tells her story of surviving abuse as a child and adult. A well written book in which she cleverly tells it through the counselling sessions that she received many years later. This is very useful to the reader, as you get to explore the world of the survivor, and the many issues and negative thought processes that are left. For too many this book will also show the years lost in limbo, where too many are lost. The book starts with a suicide attempt, which then kick started a process of counselling facing the real truth that had been so hidden and suppressed. Lynn has become an advocate and uses her experience to help others. What more can I say than: she's a survivor making a difference."

You can also go online and see the "Beyond the tears blogspot". Or see her at the Author central here on Amazon.

the heArt of my reVersing
the heArt of my reVersing
by Lili Tuwai

5.0 out of 5 stars The heart of my reversing, 25 Nov. 2010
This is a review I did for my websiter:

"Born in New Zealand Lili is a survivor of child abuse and domestic violence who now lives in Australia. Lili studied very hard to rise above these difficult beginnings. She uses her work to raise awareness of these issues. I came across Lili via a video of her poem `Playground Contemplation' which is contained within this book. Along with poems and verse, there are some well written short stories too like `Gauna and Inaki' Time and Meaning' about the demise of culture and the arrrival of the Europeans. `Behind the scene of a player's dirty act' very poignantly deals with domestic violence. And `Not the bunnies fault' which is a short story about the sexual abuse of a little girl, is just so beautifully written, about such a terrible issue."

A Life of Death: The Redemption
A Life of Death: The Redemption
by LaurieAnn Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life of Death: The Redemption, 25 Nov. 2010
This is the reviw I did for my website:

"Born in America Laurie now lives in Canada where she has become the Canada regional director for the Dreamcatchers for Abused Children charity. A child abuse survivor herself, she uses her experience to raise awareness of these issues as well as being an advocate for human rights issues. This was originally written as a blog but it was decided to make it into this book, where all proceeds from it go to Dreamcatchers for Abused Children. Laurie suffered terrible abuse at the hands of both parents, she lost loved ones along the way, the book skims through her childhood to the present day. Her honesty in talking about her early drink and drug problems is both helpful and refreshing. She came through it when in her forties she said to herself, "that she wasn't going to let them win"... and she didn't."

This Tangled Web
This Tangled Web
by Kate Swift

5.0 out of 5 stars This Tangled Web, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: This Tangled Web (Paperback)
This is a review I have done for my website.

"Kate is a survivor of child abuse who uses her work to try and help other survivors. She was abused by her brother and like too many; this pain was added to by her parents in the way they dealt with or... didn't deal with the abuse in an appropriate way. She gives you an insight into her childhood through the poetry she wrote at the time and since, which she also used for and in her therapy. The book is divided into several sections dealing with; disclosure, Self Harm, Suicidal feelings and more. There is also some of Kate's Survivor artwork throughout and at the end of the book too. Like many survivors although Kate has come far she admits she still has her days when she has to work through it. For most survivors it is a continuous journey, but one she now journeys to help herself and others."

Afraid
Afraid
by Sharon McGovern

5.0 out of 5 stars Afraid, 26 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Afraid (Paperback)
This is my review I did for my website.

"Abused from the age of four by her step dad. Betrayed, alone and disbelieved even when she did speak out. A story through years of terrifying abuse, that for moments she escaped, but never fully. But that would change. As a woman she regained control of her life. To, in her forties, take control, by standing up and facing the monster from her childhood. To sum up, I will quote from her book as she makes a promise to herself about her abuser and says: `some day, somehow, we will meet again' and she continues `And this time I will emerge the winner' and she did. And not just through a courtroom, but in life. As she now continues to use her past experiences and the knowledge she has learned... to help others."

Another true survivor , friend and allie.

I Forgive You, Daddy
I Forgive You, Daddy
by Lizzie Mcglynn

5.0 out of 5 stars I forgive you, daddy, 12 Aug. 2010
This review is from: I Forgive You, Daddy (Paperback)
This is a review I did for my website:

"A brave little girl terrified of the continuous abuse she endured, beaten, assaulted and raped by her farther. There were times she dared believe that these horrors would come to an end. But she would learn how the system could fail someone... so much. The signs were there, but it was more than that. Those that should have done more... didn't do enough, especially when that brave little girl stood up and spoke out. It led to her father being imprisoned, only remarkably for him to be able to return, only a few months later, to continue her and her family's ordeal. But throughout it all, she learned to forgive as she stood by her dying father's bed. So she could at least try and move on, and remove herself from her father's grip. She now stands with others... as a force for change."
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2012 7:15 PM GMT

Breaking the Chains of Abuse: A Practical Guide
Breaking the Chains of Abuse: A Practical Guide
by Sue Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking the Chains of Abuse, 4 Mar. 2010
"This is the first book about Abuse that I read. Its the true story of a little girl not just abused as a child but as a baby too. A truly remarkable survivor she uses her story in a hope to help others survive. I experienced it all in a very similar way i.e. with a Mental block. It is very readable, to the point and covers many aspects of it all. And its for and from the survivors point of view. I after only reading 20 pages or so (that I got from a library first) went out and ordered a copy. Because I just had to have a copy of someone's experiences which include so many points as mine. And many of the same or similar conclusions I had already come to. I read this before I created the website."

This is the review I used for my website. I can not more highly recomend this book. I have not read a better book on Child Abuse or the issues, thats for sure.

Page: 1 | 2