Profile for Anne of the Indies > Reviews

Content by Anne of the Indies

Anne of the Indies "JAD" (East Yorkshire)

Bright Full Spectrum Energy Saver Natural Cool Daylight (6500K) low energy 11w = 55w (was 60w) Small Edison Screw SES E14 good for SAD (Seasonally Affected Disorder) Compact Twisted Spiral Light Bulb
Offered by CutPriceDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab daylight bulb for SAD and sewing, 30 Dec. 2015
Hard to find a daylight bulb on the high street so turned to Amazon.....should have come here first. Wanted a daylight bulb for these dark winter days and also for sewing. Only got one to see what it worked like for my 3 bulb lamp. So far so good, so have ordered another 3 as absolutely perfect!!! Can't comment on life of bulb but hope it lasts long.

Crippen
Crippen
by John Boyne

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as you think it will be - honestly it's not!, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Crippen (Paperback)
After reading 'This House is Haunted'... I though 'wow' what else has he written that I'll like - as a crime lover, especially classic, thought Crippen would just be up my street. I love reading Historical fiction and infamous murderer from 1900's - can't go wrong. How wrong was I. If you are going to write a historical novel, a good author knows how to weave the true events in with the 'story' but sadly John Boyne didn't. I did finish the book, but really had to push myself and felt like weeks to finish - so unless this author writes another Victorian Gothic, won't be picking up any more of his novels. (I know The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas was a best seller and even made into a film - but it looks as if he is only a ad hoc bestselling author) By the way - this is just my opinion - but as Garfield says - Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

Devoured (A Hatton and Roumande Mystery)
Devoured (A Hatton and Roumande Mystery)
by D.E. Meredith

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, it's your choice - but I would't bother....., 17 Aug. 2014
I was looking forward to this book - It's not very often I don't finish a book - well hardly every, but I stopped reading this when I wasn't even half way through. I love Victorian murder mysteries, but this just focused to much on the specimen collecting which the author obviously had knowledge and expected the reader to have the same passion - it was just boring and I don't know if it was just me, but by the time I gave up reading it - I knew who had done it..............so I won't even give the second book a go I'm afraid.

Needlepoint Tissue Box Patterns for Plastic Canvas
Needlepoint Tissue Box Patterns for Plastic Canvas

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money....please!, 17 Aug. 2014
If I could give this no stars I would - anyone who is looking at wanting to do canvas tissue box covers do not download this - the boxes look as if a 5 year old has designed them - truly terrible - can't imagine anyone would be pleased to receive one of these creations - thank goodness only wasted a few pounds - buy another book - such as Nothing to Sneeze At! or Top Notch Tissue Box Covers - at least these are designed by adults!

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Beacuse It Won A Prize!!!!, 12 April 2010
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
Okay so it won the Booker Prize.....no big deal......really it's not!! Most that do win these sort of prizes are not the sort of books I would read or even recomend to any of my friends, beleive me I know, I do work in a very large well known book store and see my fair share of books and these don't stay in the Top 10 for long you know.

Now before you all start to lynch me...don't get me wrong.....I loved Wolf Hall. I love the Tudor period and this book is a must for anyone who loves this period as I do. It's fantastic to get the story from another perspective rather than Henry's or one of his many Queen's.

Please don't read it because you feel you should as eveyone from the chap next to you on the bus to the posh lady at number 42 is reading it, read it because YOU want to.

The Constant Princess: 4 (Tudor series)
The Constant Princess: 4 (Tudor series)
by Philippa Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars To read or not to read......., 12 Mar. 2007
Having read the other reviews about this book, I was a bit anxious whether I should buy it or not, as most people didn't give it a very good review. But I bit the bullet and went and bought myself copy, and you know what, I couldn't put it down. When at work I kept thinking about what will be happening next to our Infanta, and so as soon as my break time came along, off I trott to read my book! I also kept wondering, how I would have handled all the things that were thrown at her, and how brave and strong she was at such a young age. Okay I know it is a 'historic novel', and it was the first Philippa Gregory I have read, but hey......it got me involved, got me caring, got me feeling and got me thinking! It's not often that you get a good read like this.....but you decide........
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2010 10:50 AM GMT

Ice Hunt
Ice Hunt
by James Rollins
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow......, 1 July 2006
This review is from: Ice Hunt (Mass Market Paperback)
What can I say - not too much - don't want to give the plot away - take my word for it you have just got to read this book. It keeps you up till all hours and keeps you on your toes as the action gets more thrilling with each turn of the page - Just remember to breathe!!!