Profile for Jeanette Heatherington > Reviews

Content by Jeanette Heath...

Jeanette Heatherington "Jeanette Heatherington" (Westmeath, Ireland.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
From This Moment On
From This Moment On

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Number 13!, 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: From This Moment On (Paperback)
I finally got my copy of 'From this moment on' by the wonderful Colette Caddle this morning and decided to take the day off to read it. It's a real page-turner. The story tells us about Lynn who has to deal with some serious bullying from her former boss. An out of court settlement should lay her bad experience to rest, but the small town gossipers have other ideas. Lynn struggles to put it all behind her and start afresh and just when you think she can well.....I won't say anymore. This is Colette's 13th book and it's currently charting at no:2. Now I know why! Go and buy it folks..

Every Time We Say Goodbye
Every Time We Say Goodbye

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyable, 2 Oct. 2012
Great subject matter, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel as I have loved all of Colettes novels. She is a natural born story teller. I suppose I had a vested interest as I could relate to the story of wondering, and what ifs. Colette has the gift of drawing you into her characters lives and bringing them close so close to you, you can almost see them in your minds eye. Brilliant book. I highly recommend it.

All For You
All For You
by Sheila O'Flanagan

2.0 out of 5 stars Why?, 29 Aug. 2011
This review is from: All For You (Hardcover)
I have tried to read all of Sheila O Flanagans books based on reviews I read. Shockingly disappointed every time, but thought I would try again, maybe I was being a bit too harsh. I wasn't. Padded throughout with endless uninteresting minutiae about nothing. Boring beyond belief gave up on page 13.

Always on My Mind
Always on My Mind

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to greatness!, 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Always on My Mind (Paperback)
I haven't finished Always on my mind just yet, I am savouring it, the theme is very close to the bone and appropriate, and I have to say by page 3, I was completely hooked. This is a fine return to Ms. Colettes previous genius. It is absolutely beautifully written, well structured, has no 'padding' not elongated to feather the pages, the characters are extremely real and vivid. A stomping good read. Loving it...

The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star
The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star
by Nikki Sixx

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very honest!, 19 Jun. 2011
I had been looking forward to reading this book for months, and I enjoyed it but there were some things just not right. As a former addict/alcoholic that wrote diaries, the extracts (which are so small) read like they were penned maybe later. If one is in a psychotic state (which he describes very well) and even if one had the ability to write anything (most unusual) the writing would be scrawled, incomprehensible and rambling. None of the extracts are like this. If you want a book that tracks a rock stars antics, you won't be disappointed, but if your looking for honesty, it just doesn't deliver. The other thing I found absolutely annoying was the layout and print. Gaudy blood stained splashes and illustrations and lyrics thrown on top of text, made it very hard to read. I just finished a new book about addiction by an Irish author called Catherine Barry. The book is called 'Charlie and me' and is just so honest and accurate and real I couldn't put it down, unlike this, which pales into significance.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2011 10:19 PM BST

Truant: Notes from the Slippery Slope
Truant: Notes from the Slippery Slope
by Horatio Clare

5.0 out of 5 stars A STUNNING WORK OF ART, 25 Nov. 2009
I happened upon Horatio Clare's 'Truant' by complete accident in my local library. As a voracious reader (and writer) I liked the cover and took it home. I was utterly overwhelmed by the talent of one so young. The writing is pure poetry. In fact, I can't remember ever actually putting a book down because I wanted to savour every page and never finish it! It got better and better and better. I have read thousands of personal accounts of addiction and was most interested in this book because it told the truth about 'innocent dope smoking' and how 'harmless' it is (not). It was brutally honest, courageous, vulnerable, witty and extremely emotional. I can't remember the last time I felt like this about a book. It is a real gem. I can't wait to see what Clare does next. EXCELLENT....

Life and Soul of the Party
Life and Soul of the Party
by Mike Gayle

2.0 out of 5 stars so disappointing..is it for teenagers?, 17 Nov. 2009
I'm a huge fan of Mike Gayle. Got to page 30 and wanted to give up but I hate doing that so I trudged on. It was hard to believe he actually wrote it, it's so bad honestly. The characters didn't hold my attention for an instant, they didn't even have descriptions. The dialog was truly awful, childish beyond belief. The behavior of all the people in this book was grossly immature, more like teenagers. There is one cring worthy chapter about a fancy dress party that was embarrassingly bad. Unbelievable that a publisher would allow Mike to put this on a shelf. I hope this is a 'one off', everyone has a bad book. This is Mike's bad book unfortunately, not even remotely near his other truly great books. Sorry Mike!

In Search of Competence: The Incompetent and Sometimes Illegal Black Art of Management
by Jack Feeney

5.0 out of 5 stars side splitting work of art, 26 Sept. 2009
I started reading this late at night and my daughter thumped on the bedroom wall and shouted at me to stop laughing. Rarely does a book manage to make me laugh out loud but this had me gulping for air. The one-liners are superb, the writing punchy and fast paced. Anyone who has worked in an office never mind been in management will identify with the familiar drone of vomit inducing 'office speak' we all know so well. Not only that, you'll be able to waffle back at your boss in no time, if you take on the helpful hints inside. A truly hilarious account of modern day office etiquette. I eagerly await this authors second installment and will be first in the queue to buy it. STUPENDOUS!! Catherine Barry.

The L-Shaped Room
The L-Shaped Room
by Lynne Reid Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Lynne Reid Banks, 3 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The L-Shaped Room (Paperback)
My wonderful English teacher gave me this book when I was sixteen. I am now 46 and have read it 18 times. I was so taken with it, it catapulted me into a writing career. I now write novels for a living. It is still (apart from an Evil cradling by Brian Keenan) the best book I ever read, and I have read thousands of books. I went on to read the backward shadow and two is lonely, both of which are terrific as well. The love story is so enriching and beautiful in essence, you won't be able to put it down. Thank you Lynne Reid Banks for setting this author on her chosen road. Catherine Barry. x

A Load of Blather: Unreal Reports from Ireland and Beyond
A Load of Blather: Unreal Reports from Ireland and Beyond
by Dave Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 11 May 2008
I managed to get a copy of this before it rolled off the presses for official launching. You had better stock up on reinforced pants and don't travel on public transport, because you won't be able to contain yourself. A riotious collection of utterly hilarious stories, smeared throughout with super sharp sarcasm and mind blowing one liners. I laughed myself sick. Hugely entertaining. Highly recommended. Buy it and be eternally amused. Excellent. More of the same please!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4