Profile for cdmackay > Reviews

Content by cdmackay

cdmackay "Calum Mackay" (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
All-New Kindle Oasis E-reader with Walnut Leather Charging Cover, 6'' High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad backlight spotting; returned to Amazon, 18 Jun. 2016
Just upgraded from Voyage to Oasis (sounds like a 70s prog rock combo). Had Kindles for many years. Read an hour or two every day.

Arrived today (18/6/2016), very excited; within 20 minutes it's packed up and going back to Amazon: bad "spotlight" issue of the backlight LEDs, along the button side.

It's barely noticeable in good light, but really bad in very low light, with the backlight on about 6. I do most of my reading at night, so this is a problem for me.

I read that others have received better examples after a return, so I will hope for that. Annoyed that I will now probably have to wait over a month to get a return, given the dates for new purchases.

I will update the review when the replacement arrives.

---

updated (17/7/2016)

replacement arrived - this was a fresh order, wasn't cherry-picked as a fault replacement.

The screen seems a bit better, but still far from perfect. Disappointing.

However, whilst the spotting is definitely noticeable, and far worse than that of the Voyage, which was almost invisible, I have to admit that unless you're looking for it, you tend not to notice, in practice (as many have said). I found I had been reading it for 10 minutes before I remembered to look, and then it started to annoy me. Silly.

I will keep it, as I love the new form-factor. But it remains a disappointment, given the price hike.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2016 11:13 PM BST

█ Vorfreude® Halogen G4 12v 10W Bulbs 10x ► Pack of 10 ► 2500 Hour, 25% longer life, Warm White Dimmable Capsules with Eco Watts, Energy Saving in Cool Clear Bulb (10 Watt)
Offered by Vorfreude

3.0 out of 5 stars They work well, *if* you can get them fitted., 1 Jun. 2016
As other reviewers have noted, the pins are noticeably thicker than "normal".

In some fittings I had a great deal of difficulty, and some I could not get them to go in at all, and managed to bend pins, and even break the bulb glass whilst trying. Of course, G4 fittings are often where they're not that easy to reach/see.

However, once in, they work fine.

iTALKonline WileyFox Swift 4G White FLAT THIN USB 2.0 Micro USB MicroUSB SYNC & CHARGE Connect Charging Charger Tangle Proof Cable (1.1 Meter)
Offered by iTALKonline-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, especially for Wileyfox Swift phone, 17 April 2016
Very nice cable. The flat design makes it easy to coil up, although I would have liked an inbuilt cable tidy clip.

Best feature is that it securely fits my Wileyfox Swift; most other micro USB cables just fall out of it, owing to that phone having a badly designed USB port. So for that alone this cable is essential.

Wileyfox Swift 4G Dual SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Wileyfox Swift 4G Dual SIM-Free Smartphone - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars great phone, let down badly by design fault and poor support., 17 April 2016
Very nice phone, as detailed in other reviews, no argument, but...

Badly let down by faulty design of micro USB port: it is too recessed, and most micro-USB cables I have simply fall out of it.

Wileyfox support say that the cables are at fault, and it's my faulty for buying low-quality cables. I buy only good quality cables, e.g. Anker, PortaPow, etc, and have had dozens of devices with micro USB over many years, with never a single issue.

Wileyfox support refused even to send me more of the standard cable they ship, which *does* fit snugly.

Some report that their phones don't have a problem, suggesting that it is a "batch" issue, but Wileyfox told me that the USB port has not been redesigned, so that seems unlikely.

So, a great phone, but with a very annoying issue - you can't use it with any existing "captive" cables, e.g. if you have one wired in your car. Hence the low review. One star off for the port, and another for the poor support. If they'd sent me a few new cables, I'd have been happy.

I can recommend this one cable, which does fit fine, and comes in many colours: iTALKonline WileyFox Swift 4G Pink FLAT THIN USB 2.0 Micro USB MicroUSB SYNC & CHARGE Connect Charging Charger Tangle Proof Cable (1.1 Meter)

Greentreat Men's 3Pk Green Treat Purple Blue Stripe Ankle Socks, Grey, One size (Manufacturer Size:7-11)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not cotton., 14 April 2016
Description says "90% cotton", but socks are 80% viscose, and have no cotton content.

Returned.

Fly London Yogi Rug Women's Boots - Black, 7 UK (40 EU)
Fly London Yogi Rug Women's Boots - Black, 7 UK (40 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars comfy, good fit (she says), 23 Mar. 2016
My wife says: very comfy, good quality, perfect fit.

Designacable Van Damme STAR QUAD Neutrik Gold XLR to XLR Microphone Cable 25 cm black

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel like very good quality, 7 Feb. 2016
Feel like very good quality.

Nice to be able to choose colour & size - I chose very short black/red for a stereo pair, to connect my DAC to my headphone amp. Look great too.

Carissima Gold 9 ct Yellow Gold Heart Drop Earrings
Carissima Gold 9 ct Yellow Gold Heart Drop Earrings

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Feb. 2016
they look very nice on my wife's ears - a reasonable size for the money, too.

Farah Men's 3-Pack Calf Socks, White, Size 7-11
Farah Men's 3-Pack Calf Socks, White, Size 7-11

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice quality. Not cheap, 7 Feb. 2016
Very nice quality. Not cheap, but often come up on deals.

Monogram is on one side only, which leads to annoying pair mismatches :)

Hi-Tec Equinox, Girls' Snow Boots, Wine/Stella, 4 UK Child
Hi-Tec Equinox, Girls' Snow Boots, Wine/Stella, 4 UK Child
Offered by Faulkners Footwear

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 Feb. 2016
My daughter very happy with these. The come up a bit small, but good quality.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5