Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Content by Kindle Customer

Kindle Customer "Your Books" (Surrey, UK)

Vergence (Vergence Cycle Book 1)
Vergence (Vergence Cycle Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant new addition to this genre, 20 July 2015
I highly recommend this book ... I couldn't put it down. I found the start and the ending particularly gripping with some great twists. The characters at times were both amusing and intriguing. The magical world of Vergence was brought to life by the skilled penmanship of the author. Ebryn is the perfect hero, Sash the beautiful accomplished heroin and you got to love Elouphe. Beautifully written. I can't wait for the next book in the series.

Tell, Don't Show!
Tell, Don't Show!

4.0 out of 5 stars An unusual twist on a well known approach to writing, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
I was intrigued by the title with its play on Show don't Tell, a well followed rule in the writing world. As a blogger I devour books that may assist me in my endeavours. I thought the book had an excellent message and practical approach to getting the best out of my writing. If I have one criticism it would be the message was pretty much laboured and once I got the gist there wasn't much else the book could offer me. I have rated this with four stars because the message in itself was brilliant. I would recommend this to any new writer or any shelved writer whom requires another tool to get motivated to write again.

Wake Up, It's A Crash - The Survivors' Stories
Wake Up, It's A Crash - The Survivors' Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping real life story, 7 April 2013
Wake up it's a Crash is a true account of the world's first ever Jumbo Jet crash, at Nairobi airport on the 20th November 1974. It is remarkably written by one of the survivors of this horrific crash where so many people sadly lost their lives. The author was travelling with his wife and two young children. The story is written providing the point of view of many of the survivors, including the family members waiting to hear the fated news of their loved ones. It is obvious that a lot of research went into gathering all the views of the individuals involved. This is a well paced book with a strong emphasis on the immediate trauma people suffer when confronted with this kind of out of range of normal human experience. At times I felt that I could have been sitting on the plane as one of the doomed passengers. If understanding human reactions to extreme life events is your thing then this is a must book to read. With the focus illuminating one passenger's account then onto another passenger's account, the reader is charged with a thorough sense of what it must have meant to be one of the passengers on this doomed 747 Lufthansa jumbo jet.

Spud
Spud
by John van de Ruit

5.0 out of 5 stars A hilarious read, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Spud (Paperback)
I've been reading this book aloud to my 13 years old and the two of us have been in hysterics. Rare is the book that gifts tears of hilarity. It has a few hairy parts, of a pubescent sexual nature, if reading aloud. But I imagine most reading will be to oneself so this issue would prove to be mute. This is a fantastic read about a teenage boy's trials and tribulations in a South African boarding school. The characters are memorable and extremely funny. I don't think the setting is relevant to the enjoyment of the book, although there are references to the recent dismantling of apartheid and several South Africanisms. It is a great read for the teenage boy, or girl, as well as for adults. I would highly recommend it.