Profile for Georgina > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Love Is A Thief
Love Is A Thief

4.0 out of 5 stars Chick Lit with a twist, 21 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Love Is A Thief (Kindle Edition)
Have you ever wondered how different life would have been if you hadn't met your current or ex-boyfriend and fallen in love? I sure have and I know that it can be a dangerous question to start thinking about considering there is not much that can be done to change the past. Love Is A Thief is a story that focuses on just that question and shows the story of how it is never too late to give up on what you want from life.

I really like the concept of Love Is A Thief, as it looked at love from a completely different perspective. I am sure many of you have given up something for love whether it is willingly or without really realising it and it is interesting to think about and see what Kate and the other characters would have done differently if they hadn't met their partners. In some senses it is almost like a self help book as well as a work of fiction, as it really made me question my own life and what I may not have done because I fell in love and how things may have been different. There is a lot of humour in this book, which keeps it light hearted, and had me laughing on more than one occasion.

The characters were a mixed bag, I really liked Kate as she grows so much throughout the book on her journey finding out what other people have missed out on which in turn makes her question her own life. I enjoyed seeing women become empowered by trying things they always wanted to alongside their relationships and realising they don't have to entirely give up on their dreams. The only problem I had with Love Is A Thief is that, as it is quite a large book, at times it did drag a little and the pace slowed down so I was left wondering when it would become interesting again. These times however, were few and far between.

Overall I really enjoyed Love Is A Thief would recommend it to anyone who loves their chick lit with a twist, especially if you like a book that leaves you thinking about your own life. Love Is A Thief is a story of love, self realisation and humour.

Wicked Wives
Wicked Wives
by Anna-Lou Weatherley

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked, decadent and explosive, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Wicked Wives (Paperback)
Every now and again I just love a good bonkbuster full of glamorous women with secrets to hide, rich men who get up to no good and sinful goings on. Usually when I'm after a book like this I would turn to the ever reliable Jackie Collins or Rebecca Chance but when I read the synopsis for Wicked Wives I knew I just had to see whether Anna Lou Weatherly would be able to live up to my expectations

Wicked Wives alternates chapters between characters, showing the story from all viewpoints which I love in a book. Not only because I get to know all the characters so much better but also because it helps with remembering who is who, which there are no difficulties with in this book. I loved the characters in Wicked Wives. Anna-Lou Weatherley knows exactly which characters we want to see from the glamorous, beautiful and rich to the conniving, scheming and money grabbing. All are thrown in the mix adding a colourful bunch of characters who I loved and hated in turn.

The plot twists, of which there are many, are set up in such a way that I didn't see them coming and was completely shocked on more than one occasion. Of course with this being a story of the rich and glamorous the story is daring and many of the characters get up to some down right dirty things but this is what we expect from this world and Anna-Lou Weatherley delivers it superbly. I loved her writing style and all her descriptions from the decadent places the characters go to the sex that they have to the exotic destinations they visit. I wanted to be part of the world while at the same time being grateful that I am not.

Wicked Wives is a fantastic beach read that you will want to take on holiday with you and devour in one sitting. A wicked, decadent, explosive read that will have you hooked from the first page to the last. I'm rushing out to buy Anna-Lou Weatherley's first book, Chelsea Wives.

Do You Remember?: A gripping and emotional romance perfect summer holiday reading (Harperimpulse Contemporary Romance)

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional romance read, 18 Aug. 2013
I have a confession to make. I have never picked up and read a Mandy Baggot book. Her books have always intrigued me but I have just never gotten around to reading one. Well lets just say that will all change now that I have devoured Do You Remember, as I cannot wait to read more from Mandy Baggot.

Do You Remember? is such a emotional romance story that had beautiful and also heart wrenching moments throughout. I really enjoyed the romance in this book, all the way through I found myself wanting a man who would love me over the years the way that Guy does Emma. What made me enjoy the romance the most, however was that it wasn't easy and both Guy and Emma go through some devastating times within their journey. While no-one wants to go through hard times this did make their romance much more believable as the reality is love is hard.

I loved the character of Emma, she is such a sweet and genuine person who I really connected with. I felt along with her through the whole story, through her moments of doubt, guilt, sadness and also the love and happier times as well. I was routing for her to find a good ending throughout the whole book. I also adored Guy, I mean what is there not to like about a sexy French football player, but he has so much more depth than this. You just know that Guy and Emma are meant for each other and even though they have been apart for so many years I was hoping that they would be able to overcome what ever tore than apart in the past.

I would recommend Do You Remember? to anyone who is looking for a compelling romance story with depth. This is defiantly not a light fluffy romance story but deals with real issues and emotions throughout. I could not put this book down, once I started it just drew me in and didn't let go. If like me you haven't read any of Mandy Baggot's books before then pick this one up I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed.

About a Girl (Tess Brookes Series, Book 1)
About a Girl (Tess Brookes Series, Book 1)
by Lindsey Kelk
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing start to a new series, 7 Aug. 2013
I am a huge Lindsey Kelk fan from her famous I Heart series, which just gets better and better with each book. I was a little worried that with the start of a new series and new characters that it wouldn't be as good. I shouldn't have worried at all, however as About A Girl, the first book in this series was just amazing.

About A Girl is the type of book that you will pick up and not want to put down. I read this book on a weekend that I was spending with family so I couldn't just sit down and devour it in one go, even though I know that if I had the time I so easily could have. Every time I picked the book up I just kept getting lost in the characters, the storyline and the setting of Hawaii. The location of Hawaii was just perfect for the book and made me want to book my next holiday there immediately.

The characters in About A Girl are just fantastic. Tess is so likeable as the main protagonist, having so many down to earth qualities that you can connect with. I was routing for her the whole way through, and even though she made some silly mistakes you still couldn't help but feel sorry for her. Amy was the perfect best friend, hilarious and caring but with her own problems as well. Kekipi, the gay butler, had to be one of my favourite characters, his sense of humour was just one of a kind. There are two different love interests in the book and no matter how hard you try to remain neutral you will end up favouring one character over the other.

Lindsey's writing style manages to flow perfectly throughout and her humour and likeable characters mean that I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Go and buy it now. Even though this book is the kind of book that you will want to take on holiday with you and read by the pool it is in fact perfect to read any time of year. I am so excited that About A Girl is the first book in a new series and I just cannot wait for the next instalment to find out what happens next

Save the Date
Save the Date

4.0 out of 5 stars Drama filled summer read, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Save the Date (Kindle Edition)
Beach reads and books set abroad are something that I love to read during the summertime. Admittedly, they are much better if you can read them while you are actually sat on a beach, or by a pool, sunbathing with a cocktail at hand. Living in England, however, this is not always possible, so these books work sat on my sofa at home while imagining I am on a beach. The great thing about beach reads is that no matter where you are reading them, they are able to transport you away somewhere exotic, and in the case of Save The Date to the beautiful destination of Tuscany in Italy.

Save The Date started at a run and never really stopped until the very end. It is absolutely jam packed with drama, with everything that seemingly could go wrong seeming to happen in this book. I enjoyed the action and fast pace, but at times did find all this a little much and began to wonder how one group of people could be so unlucky. The humour kept me racing through this book, Allie Spencer has an amazing sense of humour and I literally laughed out loud on more than one occasion. A good sense of humour is one of my needed traits in all aspects of life and I enjoy seeing it added into books. I loved the way in which Allie Spencer was so descriptive with her details about Italy and the scenery, making me feeling as if I had been transported there along with Alicia.

Alicia, the main character, was also one of my favourite characters as she is so relatable for all female readers. Her heart is in the right place and she is likeable while at the same time being accident prone and not always making the greatest decisions. My favourite character of all though had to be Arthur, the stray dog who takes a shine to Alicia. Even though he was a dog he had a personality of his own and was always getting up to mischief.

I would thoroughly recommend Save The Date as a fun, light hearted, whirlwind of a summer read. The plot was interesting, the characters likeable and there is certainly never a dull moment. This is the first Allie Spencer book that I have read, but I am certain that it will not be my last.

The School Gates
The School Gates
by Nicola May

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic read from Nicola May, 17 May 2013
This review is from: The School Gates (Paperback)
I love Nicola May's books and have done ever since I first picked up Working It Out. Every time Nicola brings out a new novel I am quick to make sure I have my own copy to devour.

The School Gate's is full of Nicola May's wonderful humour, interesting characters and engaging storyline. I loved in the way in which each family was portrayed as not being perfect and each having their own problems which made them completely relatable. I also really liked the way each chapter was dedicated to a different family, so that the reader doesn't get confused and really gets to know all the characters individually. I really enjoyed the way the drama around each family unfolded meaning there was never a dull moment throughout the whole book.

My only downside to this book would be that at the beginning as there are so many characters introduced it is a little difficult to remember who is who, however once you get a little more into the book this problem is soon resolved. I also would have liked the ending to be a little longer so that we could find out more about what happens to each character.

Overall I loved The School Gates and would recommend it to everyone, especially those who love chick lit. If you haven't picked up one of Nicola May's books yet then you really need to, I can guarantee that you will be hooked.

Summer With My Sister
Summer With My Sister
by Lucy Diamond

3.0 out of 5 stars Great beach read, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Summer With My Sister (Paperback)
Last year I read The Beach Café by Lucy Diamond and really enjoyed it, so I was excited to see whether I would enjoy her latest novel Summer With My Sister.

Summer With My Sister is the perfect beach read, light, quick and entertaining. I liked that there were very few characters to keep track of which meant that I got fully involved in each character. In the beginning I completely disliked Polly but as the story unfolds I began to warm to her more and more.

The only thing I disliked about this book was that the storyline and how it unfolded was extremely predictable.

It is far too easy to get caught up in this book as the writing flows so well and you find yourself just continuing to turn the pages. I did enjoy this book but perhaps just not as much as Lucy Diamonds previous novel The Beach Café. I will however, continue to read more from the author

The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey, Book 5)
The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey, Book 5)
by Julie Kagawa

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the Iron Fey world, 17 May 2013
When I heard that there would be a spin off series of The Iron Fey series I was so excited. I loved The Iron Fey series and the world in which Julie Kagawa created. Originally I presumed the series would be focused around Puck, however instead it is about Meaghan's younger brother Ethan. While I still loved the world of the fey and the original characters still had their roles, thankfully Grimalkin was back, I did find that I didn't connect on the same level with the new characters. I especially didn't like Kenzie, who to be honest I just found annoying throughout the whole book. If you have read the Iron Fey series then defiantly pick this up as it takes you right back to what you will have been missing, just don't expect it to be quite as good as the original series

by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical fiction at its best, 17 May 2013
This review is from: 1356 (Hardcover)
Thomas of Hookton is probably my favourite of all of Bernard Cornwell's characters, so I was excited to read about him again in 1356. While 1356 can be read as a stand alone novel it is technically part of the Grail Quest series. The Grail Quest is by far my favourite series, mainly because I just love this time of history and feel that Bernard Cornwell writes it in such a rich and compelling way that I cant put the books down no matter how hard I try. The battles, while graphic, are exciting, and even though there are many of them throughout the novel, each is just as interesting as the next. If you have not picked up a Bernard Cornwell novel then I suggest you start with this series. You wont be disappointed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5