Profile for Wim2600 > Reviews

Warwick Rowers Calendar 2015
by Malcolm Angus
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Husband, 15 Jan. 2015
My husband was very pleased to see the Rowers kick Tom Daley out after his two-year reign on our bathroom wall.

James Bond - 22 Film Collection [Blu-ray] [1962]
James Bond - 22 Film Collection [Blu-ray] [1962]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid set!, 11 Jan. 2015
Great, high-quality box - yes it's cardboard, but not the cheap and flimsy stuff, and it keeps the discs very well protected - which has given us many enjoyable movie nights so far. The movies look and sound splendid... excellent value for Moneypenny.

Poster 91 x 61 cm Arctic Monkeys Favourite Worst Nightmare Ohne Rahmen
Poster 91 x 61 cm Arctic Monkeys Favourite Worst Nightmare Ohne Rahmen
Offered by Poster Revolution UK

5.0 out of 5 stars perfection, 8 Dec. 2014
Perfectly packed and delivered!

The Office: An American Workplace - Season 1-9 Complete [DVD] [2014]
The Office: An American Workplace - Season 1-9 Complete [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Rainn Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent show, 23 Nov. 2014
I love British tv shows, and I must have seen Ricky Gervais' original series over a dozen times. Therefore I was hesitant to watch the US remake, as I feel such remakes hardly ever live up to the original. However, in this case, I'm glad I was proved wrong: although the US version feels different, and some characters are taken in a different direction than their UK counterparts, I found it to be an utterly charming and engaging show. I won't say one is better than the other, I just enjoy them both for what they are: lovingly made shows with very convincing actors and characters you love to hate, hate to love, or both.

As for this boxset: at less than £3.50 per season (at the time I ordered it at least), this was too good not to buy. I saw the same box in my local high street store last week, priced at a ridiculous £159!

Agatha Christies Poirot - Series 1-13: The Definitive Collection [DVD]
Agatha Christies Poirot - Series 1-13: The Definitive Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Suchet

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to finally have a Definitive Collection, but it's not flawless, 2 Dec. 2013
I thought long and hard before ordering this box set, as I had already bought the 12 box sets that were released over here in Belgium over the years.

However, the Belgian/Dutch editions would never be complete, as for reasons unknown to me, the rights to "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" were never obtained, so this (double) episode has never released over here. Also, as is unfortunately often the case, the Dutch subtitles were at times quite cringe-worthy, so a complete edition with English subtitles had always a very tempting prospect.

Learning that this box set would be "completely complete" (Styles included) and would contain English subtitles, was what sealed the deal for me.

I must say I'm happy with my new box set, but as other reviewers have pointed out, it is not flawless:

- Indeed, the older episodes do not appear to be the remastered versions. I'm guessing they will be held back to make more of a difference when eventually a blu-ray edition is released in the UK. But since my previous Belgian box sets also weren't remastered and this did not really impair my enjoyment of them, I'm not too bothered about it. If, however, you want the perfect edition for your HD flatscreen TV, this isn't the one for you.

- The packaging into two (quite sturdy) plastic cases makes sure the discs are well-protected: it's very unlikely they'll become detached by accident. This, however is also the drawback of the system: removing a disc from its case isn't as easy as it could be. I wouldn't go as far as some reviewers have done and say that the packaging ruins the box set, though. It just means you have to be careful when removing and replacing the discs.

- Although each disc is clearly labelled and numbered, and lists the episodes it contains, and the cover sheets of each of the two plastic cases list the episodes in their running order, a collection of this size (and price) could/should have included some kind of booklet with photos and a brief synopsis of each episode, the original date of transmission, the main cast, etc. It would not have been too huge a task to provide such info for 70 episodes, especially as previous editions (well, at least those released in Belgium) did contain it.

So, whereas Poirot to me is a 5-star series, and this box set looks very nice indeed, standing as it does in my book case next to all of Ms Christie's novels and a number of other Christie box sets, the points mentioned above force me to take away one star for presentation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2013 5:10 PM GMT

The Jungle Book / The Jungle Book 2 [Blu-ray] [1967]
The Jungle Book / The Jungle Book 2 [Blu-ray] [1967]
Dvd ~ Wolfgang Reitherman
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Disney has never looked better..., 5 Sept. 2013
Just watched my all-time favourite Disney classic "The Jungle Book" on blu-ray, and I think it looks and sounds stunning. The colours are more vibrant, the sound is rich and clear... I'm all excited again, just like I was as a little boy.

The Jungle Book on blu-ray is one of life's bare necessities ;-)

Coronation Street - Best of 1960 - 1969 - [ITV] - [Network] - [DVD]
Coronation Street - Best of 1960 - 1969 - [ITV] - [Network] - [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Roache

4.0 out of 5 stars Great box set, 15 July 2013
Having only quite recently become a regular Coronation Street viewer, it's been great familiarising myself through the 80 episodes in this box set with the characters and storylines that made the show the institution it is today.
I had already started collecting and reading quite a number of books on the Street and its origins, and these dvds are a terrific way of bringing to life what I'd been reading about.

The dvds come in a nice, compact box, and I was pleasantly surprised the box includes a booklet outlining the contents of each episode in the collection. This collection contains all 7 episodes from 1960, and 73 more that cover the rest of the decade.

As I'm not a native speaker of English, I would have liked English subtitles... although I must admit I find the dialogue in Weatherfield easier to understand than that in Walford.

Coronation Street - Best of 1980-1989 [ITV] - [Network] - [DVD]