Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for Brett Smithson > Reviews

Content by Brett Smithson

Brett Smithson "Anime fan UK" (Eastbourne, England)

Negima! Omnibus 1 (Negima!: Magister Negi Magi Omnibus)
Negima! Omnibus 1 (Negima!: Magister Negi Magi Omnibus)
by Ken Akamatsu

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality product and vastly superior translation. Well worth a re-purchase!, 4 Aug. 2012
Not only is this a high quality and nicely presented product, but the quality of translation is (in my opinion) far better than the original English release.

If you, like me, are a manga fan that wants a translation to be accurate and faithful to the original Japanese text then the Omnibus translation is for you. I have compared it to the original Japanese text and the new translators have done a great job of keeping the English extremely close to the original without sacrificing clarity or flow.

The previous translator of the Del Rey release of Negima on the other hand evidently had no issue at all with changing the script and attempting to add his own creative touch to the translation. Whilst this can sometimes add energy and humour to a manga and improve the overall reading experience for English fans, in this case I have to say that he took one too many liberties in my opinion. Yes, Negima contains fan service, but I never realised how many additional sexual puns and suggestive references had been added in the Del Rey English translation when they were completely absent in the original Japanese release. To give one example, there is a scene on a train in volume one where Negi is travelling to the school and some giggling girls ask him where he is going. In the original Japanese and Omnibus translation they simply tell him that he has missed his stop as the next stop is the Mahora girl's school. However, in the Del Rey translation they tell Negi he should have "gotten off" and then ask him "have you ever? Gotten off I mean". This is just one of many added sexual references which were not present in the original Japanese and yet were added to the English release. Looking back, the original release feels kind of smutty in comparison...

As a huge Negima fan (it was the first manga I ever read), I highly recommend purchasing this Omnibus. The translation quality is far better in my opinion and re-reading it with a more faithful and less perverted script was fantastic fun.

EASYi - Clear Silicone Case Cover Skin & Screen Protector Kit for Apple iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but great value and customer service., 14 Jan. 2010
I bought both this protective iPhone case and the "iTALKonline GEL Soft Case" because they were both very cheap and I was not sure which would be better.

On the plus side:
+ this case is very good value, especially if you consider that it comes with a screen protector.
+ It feels very tough and will protect against scratches and perhaps even a fall to a hard floor as the case is soft.
+ It is also made from silicone and so adds some much needed grip to the iPhone - with plastic cases or the unprotected iPhone shell it can be quite easy for the phone to slip from your hands or pocket.
+ the raised areas over the screen and volume buttons provide protection without limiting the ease of use.

However, on the down side:
- The shell is so thick that it can be tricky to apply the silent-mode switch which is only accessible through a small opening in the silicone.
- The ringed pattern on the back had looked nice in the picture and I had expected it to frame the apple logo quite nicely. However, the rings are a little off-centre and do not surround the logo evenly. This is a little sloppy and makes the case look quite cheap - I know that it IS cheap, but I don't want to broadcast it!

in comparison with the iTALKonline GEL Soft Case:
+ better access to volume and screen buttons with raised areas.
+ screen protector included.
- cheap-looking pattern on the back.
- difficult to access silent-switch.

Overall, for this price I think that this screen protector is a superb deal, but I have personally chosen to use the iTALKonline GEL Soft Case.

UPDATE:
After writing this review I was contacted by EASYi. Customer satisfaction was very clearly a concern for them and I was very impressed to be asked about my opinions regarding possible improvements to the product. I have therefore bumped up my review to 4/5 stars - the product is not perfect, but the quality of service and value for money were superb.

3.5mm Audio Earphone Extension Cable Cord Jack Headphone (1M Gold Plated) For Apple IPhone / Apple Ipod / MP3 / MP4 / PDA / Mobile Phones / Laptops Etc
Offered by Adapters Direct UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 12 Jan. 2010
I own a pair of Bose on-ear headphones and listen to music everyday on the walk to work, so I go through spare headphone cables quite quickly. These were just what I needed - just the right length of cable to go from your coat pocket to your headphones and an "L" shaped end which is perfect for use with MP3 players. Very cheap, very useful and very quick to deliver too. If you need a headphone cable replacement or just an extension cable, I could definitely recommend this product from Compatibles E-Shop.

Kanji Cards: v.ume 1
Kanji Cards: v.ume 1
by Glen McCabe
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend them to anyone studying Japanese., 22 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Kanji Cards: v.ume 1 (Cards)
I am currently taking a degree in Japanese studies at Sheffield University, and the Tuttle Kanji flash cards have been absolutely superb for Kanji learning.

Each card has information on both sides. On the first side there is:

- the Kanji character
- 3 or 4 common examples of its use
- the number of strokes
- and, perhaps most usefully of all, a clear and detailed breakdown of the various individual parts or "radicals" of the character - thanks to this, I was able to understand how Kanji characters were formed (for example, the Kanji "tsukuru" or "to make/work" is formed from the characters for "person" and "saw") and this has really helped me to both understand and remember seemingly complex Kanji characters with ease.

On the reverse side:

- the various readings of the Kanji are listed (using "romaji" instead of Hiragana or Katakana, unfortunately)
- translations of the common examples given on the first side
- a breakdown of the stroke order for the Kanji character

Overall, the cards are near-perfect for the study of Japanese Kanji.
If I were to be picky, I would say that the cards could have used hiragana or katakana instead of romaji. Also, the fact that the Kanji is shown in stroke-order stages on the reverse side of the card make it difficult to test yourself in reverse (i.e. by looking at the reading alone and trying to remember and draw the Kanji character). However, there is plenty of empty space on the cards for personal notes (I used this to write the reading in Hiragana and Katakana with a marker pen) and the size of the cards make it very easy to take a small pack with you wherever you go and test yourself at quiet moments of the day.

In short, these are very highly recommended. I have ordered all four boxes and I simply cannot imagine not revising Kanji without them. Absolutely superb learning tools.

Kanji Cards: v. 2 (Tuttle Flash Cards)
Kanji Cards: v. 2 (Tuttle Flash Cards)
by Alexander Kask

- the number of strokes

On the reverse side:

- translations of the common examples given on the first side
- a breakdown of the stroke order for the Kanji character

Overall, the cards are near-perfect for the study of Japanese Kanji.

Negima 2 - Magic 201: Magic And Combat [2005] [DVD]
Negima 2 - Magic 201: Magic And Combat [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Negima! Magic 201

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Anime for a superb Manga. I shall never slate dubbing again!, 20 July 2007
As a firm fan of subtitled anime, I really expected Negima's English dubbing to be as bad as the likes of Tenchi Muyo or Love Hina (Ken Akamatsu's previous work). However, for the sake of curiosity, I decided to try the dubbed audio on Negima. I was absolutely gob smacked.

Funimation have put together a fantastic DVD here, and they have done a superb job with the English voices - Negi and several other characters have English accents as they were always intended to, and the more American supporting characters all sound perfect in my opinion. I never thought I would see the day when I prefer dubbed audio to the original Japanese voice cast, but Evangeline and Negi sound absolutely perfect with English accents, Asuna's voice actress was born to play her, and Chamo the lovable Ermine? He had me in stitches.
The English lip synchronisation is also the best that I have ever seen in an Anime, and I have tried everything from Akira to films by the legendary Miyazaki.

As for the DVD in general, I enjoyed every one of these episodes. Although the episode count is lower than the previous DVD, I particularly enjoyed the cast commentary special feature - something which was not included on the previous DVD. Hearing some of the cast talk about behind the scenes stories and parts of the episode that they liked just made me enjoy the dubbed version even more.

I highly recommend this series to fans of Negima, or to Anime fans in search of something new - decent English accents are very rare in Animes, and British lead characters? Even rarer!

Negima 1 - Magic 101: The Basics Of Magic [DVD]
Negima 1 - Magic 101: The Basics Of Magic [DVD]
Dvd ~ Negima! Magic 101

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Anime for a great Manga., 20 July 2007

Funimation have put together a fantastic DVD here, and they have done a superb job with the English voices - Negi and several other characters have English accents as they were always intended to, and the more American supporting characters all sound perfect in my opinion. I never thought I would see the day when I preferred dubbed audio to the original Japanese voice cast, but Evangeline and Negi sound absolutely perfect with English accents, Asuna's voice actress was born to play her, and Chamo the lovable Ermine? He had me in stitches.
The English lip synchronisation is also the best that I have ever seen in an anime, and I have tried everything from Akira to films by the legendary Miyazaki.

As for the DVD in general, I enjoyed every one of these episodes. Although the special feature list is rather limited, the quality of the English adaption more than makes up for this. I love the Negima manga and I am proud to say that Funimation have definitely done the series justice. I am already saving up for the rest of the series!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2012 11:09 AM BST