Profile for Biologist > Reviews

Great North Road
Great North Road
by Peter F. Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars A breather?, 2 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Great North Road (Hardcover)
Ahh, Peter, your one in a million. For any other author an 1100 page story would be drip fed to the readers over two or three books. Thank heavens you do write such tomes and thank you from all of us who appreciate your efforts in this respect.

So while "Great North Road" is a bit of a breather for Peter, its certainly not for its readers. I could hardly put this book down, so engrossed was I in its storyline and its strong characters. Taking a breath for me was not an option. Five stars!

If your a fan of Peter's work then that's probably enough for you. If you've not tasted the many world's Peter creates then "Great North Road" is the perfect place to start. Its a self contained story so no "series" issues here for first timers.

Enough people have summarised the plot to make any efforts on my part superfluous but the real strength of this work lies in the story, as in all good stories.

"Great North Road" is not as complex as some previous works, certainly it has fewer characters, but this only makes those characters more important as you dive into their backgrounds, motives etc. Peter's matter of fact descriptions of a world so familiar and yet so different to our own is engrossing and you find yourself wondering, when will we be able to access that sort of technology? I've started reading more and more crime procedurals lately and the Newcastle end of the story holds its own with the best of them. I loved the way that despite all the technology available you still needed good old basic Police footwork and human interpretation to work through all the data collected during the investigation. No shortcuts to the truth in this future world, just lots of grunt work, albiet in an environment quite unlike anything currently available in any police force.

I would suggest that Kindle fans definitely get the electronic version, my old arms struggled to cope with the hardback version and at times I got a cricked neck, but that's probably more to do with the amount of time I spent reading than any real complaint about the work itself.

Lottery (Dark Fantasy)
Lottery (Dark Fantasy)
by Shirley Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, 20 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Lottery (Dark Fantasy) (Paperback)
A dark little fable with a short and sticky ending like any good lottery should. There is no real background, just vague hints and threads of text that only highlights the lack of understanding amongst these people in the sordid ritual being played out in the village. Well worth a read.

The Hunger Games: 1/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)
The Hunger Games: 1/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a new idea, 20 Mar. 2012
Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" has been referenced, but doesn't anyone remember the book, anime and movie "Battle Royale"?

[....]

Battle Royale (Gollancz S.F.)

It's not stopping me from buying and reading this series, but heh, its not a new idea.

Pure (Pure Trilogy 1)
Pure (Pure Trilogy 1)
by Julianna Baggott

2.0 out of 5 stars Let down, 19 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Pure (Pure Trilogy 1) (Hardcover)
I started out really liking this book, it seemed to tick all the boxes of a great post apocalyptic story. The ideas presented were quite original and well described and it rolled along nicely...

and the it just started to get inane and unbelievable. Conspiracy theories, conclusions reached on far to little information (like the characters have been reading the book as well) it just lacked any substance towards the end which I found really annoying after such a good start. Perhaps I expected to much but I ended up throwing this book in the bin and with over 50 years of reading and collecting all manner of sci-fi books that is a first for me. But, that is just my opinion. Two stars because I enjoyed the beginning, otherwise I'd have had to give it just the one.

A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English
A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English
by Eric Partridge

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best, 10 Mar. 2011
I originally bought a copy of the book on a whim in the late 1980's. It was immediately a hit in the family, constantly being borrowed and moving from house to house. Years later the original book no longer resides in my collection and I was looking for a replacement. Nothing came close until I found a paperback version of the original 8th Edition for sale in the USA. This book is comprehensive to the point of self indulgent, never failing to amaze and amuse its readers. I am very happy to once again have a copy in my library.