Profile for Erica Anderson > Reviews

Content by Erica Anderson

Erica Anderson (Minneapolis, MN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack of the year, 22 Sept. 2004
I recently saw "Garden State" starring Zach Braff of the US show "Scrubs". It was a cute film of a young man who literally takes a break from various anti-depressant medications to go home to his mother's funeral. The film was a nice mix of comedy and poignancy but what really made this film special was the beautiful soundtrack that Zach put together himself. It contains a wonderful mix of trip hop (Thievery Corporation, Zero 7), indie pop (The Shins), and classic folk rock (Nick Drake, Simon & Garfunkel). I find myself listening to this cd day in and day out. It has become a personal soundtrack to me. I especially loved The Shin's "New Slang", an addictively infectious pop song that I can't get out of my head. I also love the gorgeous ballad "Fair" by Remy Zero. Listening to the song simply brings tears to my eyes. It is emotionally moving just as the movie is. I am a huge fan of Coldplay and "Don't Panic" is definitely one of my favorite Coldplay songs of all time. "Don't Panic" is a great way to open up this cd and the movie. All the songs on this cd is wonderful. There wasn't one song on this cd I didn't like. This is one of those cds that I strongly recommend getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars The soundtrack to my life, 16 Sept. 2004
I saw "Garden State" a couple of weekends ago. The film starred Scrubs star Zach Braff. Not only did he direct the film but also wrote the screenplay. It was a cute film about a young man who returns home after a nine year absence. During his absence he was taking various anti-depressants. When he goes home for a funeral, he decides to stop taking them and learn to experience life without being on medication. I loved the movie and I especially loved the music Zach carefully selected for his film. The soundtrack is very mellow and comforting to listen to. The music ranges from indie pop (The Shins) to trip hop (Zero 7). It is an eclectic mix. I have been listening to this soundtrack a lot, especially going to and from work. The more I listen to it, the more I feel like this soundtrack is the soundtrack to my life. There is a particular quote in the film that Natalie Portman says in the film "You gotta hear these songs, they will change your life I promise you." She is right. These songs have changed my life. While I love all the songs on the album, I especially adore The Shins' track "New Slang". I can still see Natalie Portman put her headphones over Zach's head for him to hear that particular song in the film. The song immediately seduced my ears with its infectious hooks. Never been much of a fan of Remy Zero before but I really dug the beautiful ballad "Fair". That is another song I always have to replay. Gotta love the songs by Nick Drake and Simon & Garfunkel. I even enjoyed the Zero 7 track "In the Waiting Line". Normally I do not care for Zero 7. "Garden State" is an amazing soundtrack. It is truly one of the best soundtracks I have heard in a long time. The music really captures the sincere, earnest emotions in every scene of the film.

The Man Who
The Man Who

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing to reach you, 14 Sept. 2004
This review is from: The Man Who (Audio CD)
There are few albums that I have ever regretted selling, one is Portishead's "Dummy" and the other is Travis' "The Man Who". I own both cds again and this time I have no intentions of ever selling. When "The Man Who" was released here in the US, I immediately fell in love with the highly addictive "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?". Who didn't love the sing-along chorus? It was and still is a fun catchy song to sing along to. The rest of the album is just as good. I am especially fond of the lilting ballad "Turn". Of course Travis was immediately compared to Radiohead but to be honest Travis has more in common with Coldplay than Radiohead with its sincerely earnest lyrics. I also love the stirring "Driftwood". Fran Healy's voice may be a little high for most male singers but his voice is perfect with the music that Travis plays. "The Man Who" is flawless. I love the hidden bonus tracks which are a real treat to listen to. Unfortunately the band's follow up albums never matched the gorgeous melodies and melancholic lyrics on "The Man Who".

The Best Of

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely collection of Delerium's best singles, 11 Sept. 2004
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
Delerium is one of my personal favorite techno acts around. Their music is nothing short of breathtaking. A former roommate introduced me to Delerium with their classic album "Karma" several years ago, since then I have been a big fan of Delerium. Delerium started out as a more ambient group with none of the ethereal vocals that fans are so used to hearing. Their new collection is a best of collection of their songs that dates back to "Semantic Spaces" when the group's sound began to evolve into something more melodic with a pop sensibility, plus this is the first time vocalist Kristy Thirsk is used (and would be on follow up albums). "The Best of" is a definite must have for diehard Delerium fans because their are two new songs, "Paris" and "You & I". The new songs are simply stunning. Rhys and Bill samples the eternal baroque classic "Canon in D Minor" by Pachelbel in the song "Paris". The vocals are all sung in French by singer Aude who sounds amazing on this track. I love it. The other new song "You & I" is equally wonderful. There are three remixes, "Silence", "Truly" and "Underwater". Personally I am tired of hearing remixes for "Silence". Nothing new done to this song but the remixes for "Truly" and "Underwater" were excellent. The cd artwork is just as beautiful as the music itself. I was not disappointed with this cd. It is an excellent addition to any Delerium fan's collection or to people who aren't familiar with their music but want to hear their music anyways.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection of Delerium's best singles, 10 Sept. 2004
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
I have been eagerly anticipating the new best of cd by Delerium for a bit. I have been a fan since a former roommate got me into the group's eponymous album "Karma" which was a drastic change in their sound from mostly instrumental ambient music to ethereal, techno-pop music. I immediately fell in love with the haunting melodies. I bought "The Best of" collection today and was definitely not disappointed. All the songs on "The Best of" are singles that comes from their last few cds dating back to "Semantic Spaces". There are two new songs on the cd "Paris" (featuring Aude) and "You & I" (featuring Zoe Johnston). Both songs are excellent. "Paris" is especially a favorite song off this album. Pachebel's famous "Canon" is sampled on this gorgeous, lush ballad. The vocals are all sung in French. I find myself listening to the song over and over. "You & I" is breathtaking. I love Zoe Johnston's rich, soprano voice. In other words, the new new Delerium songs are worth buying this album. Delerium never fails to deliver or disappoint me. I particularly loved "Paris". Out of the three remixes "Truly", "Underwater", and "Silence", I am partially biased towards "Truly". I thought the Buddah Radio edit for "Truly" was excellent. I liked "Underwater" immensely. It is one of the better remixes in general. The remix for that song is nothing short of greatness. I am rather tired of hearing remixes for "Silence". I guess that is the one flaw I had with this compilation, a remix of "Silence". I heard my fill of remixes of the song, let along the song itself. Overall the song selection was good and is a nice tide me over until Bill and Rhys puts out a new album of original material. "The Best of" is a good introduction to new fans.

Chillout 5
Chillout 5
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Predictable but good, 3 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Chillout 5 (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of downtempo music or chillout music as a lot of people refer it to as. My favorite series of chillout music is the Buddha Bar/Chillout in Paris/Siddharta series because the music the mixers chose is far from predictable. Another good compilation is the Hed Kandi: Winter Chill series. Their song selection is far from predictable although they will choose the occasional song that I have heard but nothing overplayed like Delerium's "Silence" or Moby's "Porcelain". And then there is Nettwerk Record's chillout series "Chillout: The Ultimate Chillout". I didn't care for the first volume but after volume one, I started out liking the series. The only problem I have with this series is the predictability in the songs. The fifth volume in chillout music is no exception. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all the songs on the cd but what lacks here is the originality that my favorite chillout series have. Sarah McLachlan and Radiohead are just two examples. Love their songs on this album, a remix of "World on Fire" and "No Surprises" but c'mon people! Couldn't you find a more obscure song from each artist? Still I love the Carmen Rizzo remix of Kristy Hawkshaw's "Just Be", the song of the year for me. I can't tire enough of the song even if it is on the new Tiesto cd and the soundtrack to "Nip/Tuck". I love The Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize?" but it also falls under that predictability category with Sarah McLachlan and Radiohead's songs. The mix job is pretty uneven. Whoever put this cd together didn't even try to make the songs flow from one to another cohesively. Still I enjoyed this fifth volume in the series as much as the last three volumes. I just wish that the folks at Nettwerk Records would start choosing more original artists for their compilations.

No Roots
No Roots
Offered by Global_Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy swan song, 2 Sept. 2004
This review is from: No Roots (Audio CD)
I have to admit I was a bit disappointed in Faithless' new album "No Roots". I have been a big fan of the dance act since I first heard "Insomnia" in the nightclubs in my early twenties. However the more I listened to the cd, the more the music has grown on me. I was a bit surprised that the group's first single isn't their traditional epic dance song like "Insomnia" or "God is a DJ" but the more laid back sound of "Mass Destruction", a satirical take on politics if you ask me. The entire album is a lot darker than the band's first three albums but yet still has Faithless' familiar sound. My favorite song on the cd is "What About Love?" which follows in the big, epic dance sound of "God is a DJ" and "Insomnia", the band's biggest hits (outside the US). The instrumental songs "I Want More" (parts I and II) reminds me of "The Garden" from "Sunday 8pm". The one song I didn't really care for was the remix of "Mass Destruction". It was not one of the band's better remixes. Although "No Roots" is no "Reverance" or "Sunday 8pm", the album is still a pretty good album. I immensely enjoyed "No Roots" and listening to Faithless's music in the past several years. I want to thank the band for giving me so much joy in their brief music career.

Resident Evil - Apocalypse
Resident Evil - Apocalypse

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 26 Aug. 2004
I recently acquired a promotional copy of the soundtrack to the new "Resident Evil: Apopcalypse" movie last weekend. I primarily bought it for Lacuna Coil, Rammstein, The Cure, and Massive Attack songs. Much to my surprise, I found myself enjoying a lot of songs on this album by bands that I normally don't listen to. I never cared for Slipknot, and their song "Vermillion" just proved to me why I don't like them. Don't care for The Used either. The Cure is one of my all time favorite bands but "Us Or Them" from their new album is pretty horrid. It sounds too much like the bands that producer Ross Robinson worked with in the past. Robert Smith's vocals is simply annoying. Although the song isn't new and is already found on their most recent album, I still love Lacuna Coil's "Swamped". Great song by the Italian metal band. What really threw me off by surprise was the songs by Cradle of Filth, HIM, CKY, and Killwswitch Engage. Their songs were by far the strongest tracks on the entire album. I normally loathe Cradle of Filth simply because they get associated with my beloved goth culture and when the band is NOT goth. I just adore CoF's "Nymphetamine". The melodies is really catchy but what I really love about the song is the female vocals provided by the former Theatre of Tragedy vocalist Liv Kristine. Great song. The HIM song "Join Me in Death" is my other personal favorite song on the soundtrack. I just love the overdramatics of the song, musically and lyrically. Now I'm curious to hear what HIM's other music sounds like. The new Rammstein song "Mein Teil" is classic Rammstein. I can't wait for their new album. The Killswitch Engage and CKY tracks were other personal favorites of mine. They were heavy yet melodic. I find myself listening to those songs over and over again. Although not perfect, "Resident Evil: Apopcalypse" really fits the ambience of the upcoming film. I can't wait to see the movie. The music is awesome.

Siddharta : Spirit Of Buddha Bar Vol. 2
Siddharta : Spirit Of Buddha Bar Vol. 2

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting album, 24 Aug. 2004
I love chillout music. I have been a serious chillout aficienado for a few years now. My favorite series is the Buddha Bar series. I also love its Buddha Bar-related series like Chill Out in Paris and now Siddharta. I don't own the first Siddharta compilation but I bought the second volume earlier this year on a whim. I loved what I heard. While the Buddha Bar series is more Asian influenced and Chill Out in Paris is very Middle Eastern influenced, Siddharta is the Indian version. Like its sister series, Siddharta: Spirit of Buddha Bar Bar vol. 2 is split into two separate discs. There is the dinner disc which contains more laid-back grooves, very mellow. The second disc is the drink disc which the music is more uptempo, more dance-orientated. I enjoy both discs immensely but like a lot of people, I especially enjoy the first disc. I find the music very calming and relaxing to listen to especially on a Sunday morning while reading the newspaper. I definitely look forward to hearing more from DJ Ravin and the Siddharta series. All the songs were great.

The Immaculate Collection
The Immaculate Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Madonna's greatest hits, 24 Aug. 2004
At one time Madonna was truly the queen of pop. She was one of the few pop artists that I loved...until she got all kabbalah on her adoring fans. Her music is awful now and I avoid it like the plague but whenever I am in a mood to listen to Madonna's music, I will throw in "The Immaculate Collection". "The Immaculate Collection" is a culmination of Madonna's earlier music up until "Like a Prayer". All of my favorite Madonna songs are on this cd except for "True Blue" which is one of my favorite songs from her earlier days. The song hearkens back to the days of The Supremes and other girl groups from the '50s and '60s. My all time favorite Madonna song is the gorgeous latin-tinged ballad "La Isla Bonita". I never tire of that song. Of course I love dancing and singing along to "Like A Prayer" (I like both this version and the original version"), "Material Girl", "Like a Virgin", and "Express Yourself" (definitely like the original album version of this track). Listening to "The Immaculate Collection" makes me yearn for the old Madonna when she wasn't spiritual and she wasn't with Guy Ritchie. Her music then was far more fun to listen to than it is now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4