Profile for LesleyP > Reviews

The Sword of Herobrine
The Sword of Herobrine
by Jim Anotsu

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written - great for any Minecraft fan, 29 Jan. 2017
This review is from: The Sword of Herobrine (Paperback)
My 6yr old son is obsessed with Minecraft. I thought he'd love a novel about his favourite game but I didn't expect to enjoy reading it to him. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that it was well written but it had good descriptive pieces and plenty of action in various settings.
Arthur and Mallu are sucked into Minecraft and must go on a quest to save the Overworld from the Red King (an evil User) and Herobrine. Mallu is an experienced gamer but Arthur finds himself in an alien world, surrounded by zombies, endermen and good guys made of pixels.
Most children reading it themselves would be around 9yrs or so but I'm honestly looking forward to reading the sequel to find out what happens next (aaarrrgghh I've been indoctrinated)!!
Seriously, anything that gets children reading gets my support.

The Detective Dog
The Detective Dog
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb offering!, 10 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Detective Dog (Hardcover)
We all know Julia Donaldson is a genius with rhyme. So when I saw a new book with her name on, I automatically picked it up off the shelf to take a look.
What a fabulous book! Teamed with a new illustrator. Sara Ogilvie, the cover is fresh and fun and inside is no disappointment. There are some wonderful quirky pictures to make you laugh out loud. I'm delighted at the new partnership.
Detective Dog Nell belongs to Peter, a young boy who appreciates Nell's sleuthing talents when he loses things. But Nell's favourite day of the week is a Monday, when she visits school to listen to the children read. Until one day the books all disappear...
With typical humour, Donaldson manages to convey the beauty and importance of books in her usual clever way:

'Thousands of books, from the floor to the ceiling.
The books gave the thief the most heavenly feeling.
He gazed in amazement. "Where am I?" he said,
And Peter replied, "In the library, Ted.
You can join if you want to - there isn't a fee,
And then you can take lots of books out for free."

If only more people knew that... Love your message Julia.

Ivy Lane
Ivy Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Escape, 15 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Ivy Lane (Kindle Edition)
What a talented author! Too many people dismiss 'chick lit/ romance' - this book is the perfect blend of realism, romance and humour. Cathy Bramley manages to write so fluidly that you forget your surroundings and find yourself in her created world; she paints it so vividly.
In 'Ivy Lane', Tilly is looking to visit her new allotment patch for peace, quiet and anonymity. Suffering from a personal tragedy, she is trying to start again without sympathetic looks and murmurs: new village, new house, new teaching job, new hobby... But the members of Ivy Lane Allotments work their way into her heart and make her hope that she can find trust and love again.
I have no interest in gardening and growing vegetables and yet I was hooked. Her characters are rounded, her plot-line moves forward at the perfect pace and her story is just as much about Tilly finding herself again as it is about her tantalising love interest. If you've never read a Cathy Bramley before, you'll be so pleased to find a great writer to add to your collection.

First Time in Forever (Puffin Island trilogy, Book 1)
First Time in Forever (Puffin Island trilogy, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! The best romantic reading experience all year, 19 Mar. 2015
Wow! There's throw-away Chick Lit and then there's the great quality stuff, which makes you take notice of the author and hunt out more of the same. The depth and back-story Sarah Morgan has given to the characters and the electricity between Ryan and Emily had me gripped and frankly, feeling hot...
This is the first Sarah Morgan book I've read and I'm so pleased I have others to enjoy. I'm ordering the next as I write!
Emily is suddenly thrust into a world of parenthood in a location she desperately wants to leave and doesn't know where to start with this unwanted new life. Ryan is so attracted to Emily but for his own reasons, doesn't want to attach himself to a family. Their chemistry, their clear liking and respect for each other and their shared concern for Lizzy takes us on a wonderful escape as fears crash and burn in the face of such an inevitable surrender.
How Sarah creates such a sizzling dynamic on the page is sheer genius - though beware; it does make you want your very own Ryan.
I can't recommend this book and author enough. You won't regret it!

LEGO® Mixels Meet The Mixels (DK Reads Beginning To Read)
LEGO® Mixels Meet The Mixels (DK Reads Beginning To Read)
by DK

5.0 out of 5 stars Mix DK First Reader With Lego Mixels = Excellence, 2 Nov. 2014
My 4yr old son loves the Mixels and so do I. They are cute and colourful, fun to build together and pocket-money prices. This book by DK is the perfect accompaniment to the toys themselves. Lovely quality, bold and bright and with the perfect level of pictures versus text. It introduces fans to the 27 characters and the world they live in.

Make sure you also look out for the other title available 'Mixels: Let's Mix'.

So much nicer than having to watch the dreadful, cheap cartoons Lego have allowed to be created!

The Single Girl's To-Do List
The Single Girl's To-Do List

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Escapism, 2 Nov. 2014
Lindsey Kelk has done it again! I really enjoyed the I Heart... series, though 'What A Girls Wants' etc. is even better (in my humble opinion). This stand-alone novel also has it all. A fun and feisty main character, great best friends who really help the story along and of course, a gorgeous romantic possibility.
Rachel has been unceremoniously dumped by her long-term boyfriend and realised she has never really been single. How to handle it? Just like she handles life - write a to-do list! Cue makeover, travel and all the glam things you expect from a Lindsey Kelk novel.
If you're after pure escapism, you can't do much better than this.

Square Cased Fairy Tale Book - Jack and the Incredibly Mean Stalk (Square Cased Quirky Fairy Tales)
by North Parade Publishing

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Fairy Tale With A Twist, 27 Oct. 2014
A fantastic, modern version of the traditional Jack and the Beanstalk story! Jack lives with his Mum in a shabby flat and together they don't have much money. One day he swaps the only expensive item they have (the television) for some magic beans. His Mum is so disgusted, she throws the beans out of the window. And there starts a fabulously funny tale of an incredibly mean stalk. It insults the Mum, embarrasses Jack, is nasty to the giant... But one day it realises it's lonely. And so the bean stalk becomes useful for so many other things and gets a new name. After all, it can't be called 'Mean Stalk' any more.
Lovely illustrations with a quirky twist to a well-known tale, this picture book deserves to become a bestseller. It's a pity a picture of the front cover isn't available on Amazon as I write this. I purchased it for my Reception age son after we borrowed a copy from school and he refused to return it until he could keep a copy for himself.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2014 11:31 PM GMT

Harry Hammer Collection - 6 Books (Paperback) RRP £35.94
Harry Hammer Collection - 6 Books (Paperback) RRP £35.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh-Out-Loud (and that's the parents too), 9 Sept. 2014
I spotted Harry Hammer in (whisper) a competing book magazine and immediately my 4yr old was taken with the front covers and story descriptions. He loves under-the-sea stuff and although he is obviously too young to read the books himself, I ordered the set for his birthday. He LOVED them! Nice illustrations, pacey and funny throughout - for the grown-ups too.
Harry Hammer lives with his parents and has his friends. But has his enemies too - those at school who pick on him/ laugh at his mistakes. All he wants in life is to be cool. If he was a Great White, he'd be admired. But instead he's just a hammerhead shark, whose head can be flubbered.
I bought a 2nd set of books for the children at my school and put them in with YR 4/5. Again, they have proven to be really popular. So if you want to read some short chapter books to your child or are looking for a new series for your independent reader, I can't recommend these enough. I am so hoping there'll be more titles to come.

How to Fall in Love
How to Fall in Love

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be disappointed, 11 July 2014
As others before me have written, this is one fantastic summer novel! I immediately loved the heroine, who in this instance actually is a heroine as she saves the guy from killing himself. Not your usual run-of-the mill beginning to an easy chick-lit read...
She's given only 2 weeks to prove to him that life is worth living. If she fails, he'll do it properly this time on his 35th birthday. There follows a story of love, laughter, stress and embarrassment as they share each minute with one another (she won't leave him by himself) and bare their souls.
Don't be fooled into thinking this is a heavy, dramatic novel; too tiring to plough through. It's light, funny and utterly absorbing. I love some of Celia's novels, I've been blah about some of her others. I think this one ranks with the best.

Shark School (Harry Hammer)
Shark School (Harry Hammer)
by Davy Ocean

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - well written and really entertaining, 1 Jun. 2014
This series (there are 6 so far) is supposed to be for ages 7+ if you're reading them yourself. But my son is just 4 and loves all things underwater so I bought the set for him last week.
We've already read three of them together and they are just fantastic! Well written, fast paced and VERY funny. I hate to divide books into boy/ girl at any age but, as we know more boys can be reluctant readers, this is a perfect series to keep them interested in reading.
Harry's a hammerhead who wishes he could be a great white. He has his friends, Ralph the pilot fish and Joe the jellyfish but equally, he gets picked on by Rick - a bigger shark than he. So life's not always easy, especially when his Mum and Dad embarrass him too.
Please try this novel and I promise you'll be shopping for the rest within days...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4