Profile for A. J. Duckett > Reviews

Content by A. J. Duckett

A. J. Duckett "andyduck"

Page: 1 | 2
Fallout: New Vegas (PC DVD)
Fallout: New Vegas (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same with some added touches, 1 Dec. 2010
After reading a few reviews complaining that this was too much like Fallout 3 I felt compelled to chuck my 2-pence worth in.

Yes this game looks, plays and feels a lot like Fallout 3, which in my eyes is good, as FO3 for me was absolutely spot-on.

The new elements such as the improved levelling options and weapon customisation options as well as the bewildering selection of weapons and armour make this a very interesting and captivating experience.

The variety of different Factions and their reaction to your deeds in the game make you think about the consequences of your actions and add a touch of personality to the game.

The locations and atmosphere of the Mojave wasteland and it's locales really do bring the game to life and the characters you encounter look like they belong.

I do have a couple of gripes though: The game starts of with you feeling as though you're just being led by the nose, which in context with the plot makes a little bit of sense. However I didn't feel particularly attached to my character and yearned for a lot more freedom which you don't really get until later in the game.
Also the PC version has some very frustrating bugs. Which despite Steam's claims, haven't been fixed. I yearn one day to be able to reload a shotgun without it crashing the game.

Also when you eventually arrive in New Vegas Strip, the whole place feels like a bit of an anti-climax, there isn't a lot there and makes me wonder why everyone is risking life and limb to obtain/defend it.

But all in all, I've chucked 40 hours of my life so far into this game and have enjoyed the most-part of it, it's nice not to be running around doing errands for the Brotherhood of Steel all the time, or popping raiders and super-mutants again and again.

Good Points:
Lots of options for Character levelling
Loads of new Weapons which can be customised
Monsters are much tougher and have better AI
Factions make the game interesting a re-playable
Doesn't dramatically deviate from the original FO3 format
Lots of places to explore
NPCs are better fleshed out

Bad points
A few bugs meaning the game periodically crashes
Plot starts off disjointed and linear
New Vegas Strip is too small
Only one follower at a time? Why?
Story could do to be a bit longer

Nutmeg & Custard: Enjoy great food at home with Britains's finest chef
Nutmeg & Custard: Enjoy great food at home with Britains's finest chef
by Marcus Wareing

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good but some of the recipes are a bit flawed, 19 Oct. 2010
I got this book for christmas last year and was thrilled with some of the ideas presented. There are lots of vegitarian options in there which I thought were great as it's an option that's often overlooked in a lot of cook-books. However, once I'd tried some of them out I found the instructions were slightly flawed and unclear in parts and several of the dishes I made didn't come out anywhere near as planned.

In all, it's a well-presented book and if you already have a good knowledge of professional level cooking then you can work around the recipes and achieve great results but it's deceptively advanced in places.

Sennheiser HD200 Headphones
Sennheiser HD200 Headphones

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad, I'm surprised Sennheiser out their name on it, 21 May 2010
I had pair of these years ago which I bought from a reputable online DJ equipment dealer. They sounded good, looked excellent, but after a month the left ear stopped working, followed a month later by the right. Judging by the reviews from people who'd actually used them before, this was a common problem, although I'm not too sure if sennheiser have corrected this or not.

In my opinion don't bother, spend a bit extra and get the HD280s or HD25s

Sennheiser HD280pro Closed Monitoring Headphones
Sennheiser HD280pro Closed Monitoring Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Built like a Volvo, sound like a Bentley!, 18 May 2010
I've had the same set of HD 280s for over 8 years and they never let me down, the sound quality is amazing and the curly cord is a lifesaver for a DJ who like me, has to move about a lot going through record bags and leaning out of the DJ Booth!

They are insanely durable, mine were knocked-about, carted around in boxes, DJ bags, car boots and flight cases and despite a generous ammount of drops, knocks, chips, scuffs and cracks that would KO a lesser pair of headphones these never let me down once.

Two weeks ago I left them at a night-club in the hands of some trusted DJ friends who subsequently forgot about them and left them at the venue, so I've had to get a replacement pair, I'd never use another set of headphones.

Only downside is getting hot ears from the closed cups but it's only a really minor snag in an otherwise brilliant pair of headphones.

DJ Kicks - Andrea Parker
DJ Kicks - Andrea Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 Jan. 2010
I've been putting off buying this mix since it came out 10 years ago!

The mixing itself has a couple of patchy moments but this is totally rectified in the track selection, especially the later half of the mix where Andrea lets rip with a string of bass-heavy techno and electro numbers which really drive it along.

Thankfully Andrea has a sound which seems to have been left untouched by other DJs of her generation leaving her to enjoy a unique and timeless sound free from imitation and plageurism.

All in all, well worth a look if you're looking for something different

Ripailles: Traditional French Cuisine
Ripailles: Traditional French Cuisine
by Stéphane Reynaud

1.0 out of 5 stars A Waste of good trees, 4 Jan. 2010
As this book seemed to be highly rated by just about everyone on here I took that as a good sign and got myself a copy.

At first I was amazed with the stylish and visually captivating cover and presentation but at a deeper observation I had to flick through several pages of pointless illustrations, photographs and doodles to actually find a recipe in fact the book would probably be about half the size if they cut out all this rubbish and stuck to the recipes.

When I did find any recipes I was appalled to find sections dedicated to Foie Gras (the very existence of this 'food' makes my hair curl), but also recipes for Calf cheeks(?), and Marrow (not the vegetable variety). I would not have been surprised if there had been a section on how to cook dog or horse. My girlfriend is a vegetarian (although she does eat fish) and within this book I could find only a handful of recipes that I could have made for her.

This is not a book for someone who wants to pop to the local supermarket and make something right out of the book as without a proper butcher or specialist farm shop, the recipes in this book will simply be impossible.

Basically, if you like wasting trees, killing animals, eating any meat you can get you mouth round or know a good farmer / butcher / delicatessen and have no morals about what you eat then this is the book for you!
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2014 12:52 AM GMT

Vefa's Kitchen
Vefa's Kitchen
by Vepha Alexiadou

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - and beatiful, 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Vefa's Kitchen (Hardcover)
Having stumbled across this book as a recommendation I was instantly sucked in by the beautiful cover and presentation and knew it was a book I had to have.

When it arrived I was impressed with the size and feel of it, 700 pages of authentic recipes, brilliantly written with 3 page dividers (handy when like me, you have so many favourite recipes to mark!).

So far I have cooked three recipes from this book and they have all turned out beautifully, I especially recommend the fisherman's pilaff recipe, it's heavenly!

My only gripe is the lack of pictures, but it's not the end of the world if you have a bit of imagination.

Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
Offered by passionFlix UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Great but now totally defunct., 21 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) (Video Game)
It all started off well, however the main A-Spec and B-Spec modes get tired very quickly and you'll soon be plumping for the game's online events mode to grab the hard-to-get cars and extra cash. Or rather you would be if Sony hadn't disabled the online function to make you go and buy Gran Turismo 6.

Yep that's right, no more online play. In other words, this game is so similar to GT6 that Sony have disabled the online function of GT5 to make you go and buy it. Get an Xbox, get Forza, forget this cash-cow franchise.

Forgotten Realms: Cormanthyr: Empire (AD&D Accessory)
Forgotten Realms: Cormanthyr: Empire (AD&D Accessory)
by Steven E. Schend

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but like 2nd Ed, ultimately flawed, 20 Aug. 2004
Another typical 2nd Ed forgotten realms release, a breif history, a few npc characters, new spells etc etc. Where this differs though is that the information presented is actually relevant and useful, it dusts up the abysmal Ruins of Myth Drannor and presents more information on the modern city than the modern sourcebook does, Some important history is ommited, like the other elven settlements of the forrest, which are only breifly covered (almost as an afterthought). Where it does excel is its coverage of the capital city and its major players - but reading through the book - I can't help feeling (as with most FR boxed sets) that there is a hidden agenda behind the scenes at play that TSR aren't going to elaborate on, the major NPCS seem to have very unclear histories and agendas - presumably this is a deliberate effort by TSR / WOTC to sell there apalling novels on the back of this supplement.
Nethertheless, this is probably the most complete portrayal of Faerun's elven culture you will get from the powers-that-be from D&D.

Involver (Limited Edition)
Involver (Limited Edition)
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Sasha's back - this time he means business!, 28 Jun. 2004
While the concept of an artist production / mix album is an interesting and refreshing idea, it really isn't a new one, as most of the artists who "mix" for global underground actually re-edit their mixes after the "live" recording to blend tracks in and remove unwanted noise. Its really no different to James lavelle almost exclusively using UNKLE material in his last compilation.
That said, musically this is the Canine's Cajones, the recut of Shpongle's Dorset Perception cuts in nicely and gives a good impression of the road ahead and by the time you get to Spooky's belong, the mix is firing along nicely, elements from UNKLE's in a state switch in and out before the mix hits you subtely and without a hint of that frustrating spanish guitar sound that proves to be a real bugbear for us mere mortals to mix. Felix the Housecat's track heads straight for the dancefloor for a down and dirty workout culminating in Ulricht Scnass' On my own - Nice!!!

Page: 1 | 2