Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sperm Wars: Infidelity, Sexual Conflict, and Other Bedroom Battles
Sperm Wars: Infidelity, Sexual Conflict, and Other Bedroom Battles

5.0 out of 5 stars Revisited after 20 years. Still relevant and engaging, 5 Jun. 2017
i read this when it was first published, then brought a copy later. I gave that to my grandson after a discussion with my grandson about a girl whose behavior was confusing him. I then purchased on Kindle ro reread. I found it a good book. showing its age a little, but still full of insights and explanations. The reread is emcouraging me to read more in the area.

How to be Deaf
How to be Deaf

1.0 out of 5 stars I find it difficult to be positive about this book., 17 April 2016
This review is from: How to be Deaf (Kindle Edition)
I fin it difficult to be positive about this book. Rosies story of her life in Finland contains some horrible stories BUT I have several major problems with her book. Firstly she assumes her experiences in Finland are typical of Europe, her assumption that cochlear implants are BAD and that the only true Deafies are those who sign.

Yes I can tell stories of poor treatment, prejudice, and being patronized. But after 68 years of worsening deafness from birth - my own experience of doctors, nurses, audiology people, and just people in general, having traveled all over the world and having lived in three countries including the UK I cannot support the picture she paints. I was lucky I was only moderately deaf in childhood (BUT the 1950's was a very different place!), my deafness got worse, in my mid-thirties a poorly treated ear infection led to meningitis leading me with profound deafness in one ear and eye, facial control, and balance issues. I have always lived in the hearing world - the choice my hearing parents made for me, but one I would support. I don't sign, I did rely on lip reading, residual hearing and 'deaf' skills, I worked at high paying jobs all over the world with people of different cultures and languages, and was never threatened or bullied.

About 4 years ago I was offered a cochlear implant (after asking for several years). I was over 60, getting tired of the sheer effort of using a hearing aid/lip reading, had stepped down from previous higher paid jobs due to the sheer effort, and getting ready to retire. The cochlear was hard work, but was really worth it. I am now still working, and enjoying it'

If one of my children was deaf and was offered the choice I would say YES!. Yes there are risks but deafness has risks, and it is isolating, and causes personal and social problems. We live in a hearing world: being prevented from living in that world because of fear, or a need to be in the Deafie community is not the choice I would make..I wish I could Sign - but having lived in several places - which version! AND frankly I would rather put the effort required into enjoying life.

My history is not the same, my choice is not the same that every deaf person would make, but as someone who has been Hard of Hearing from birth, deafened and then a cochlear my opinion/choice is valid so please no flame wars.

And, Rosie I regret your experiences in Finland, but Europe and the world are big places, and I don't believe your story would be the same everywhere.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2016 8:23 PM BST

The Race to the Top of New York City's Skyline: The History of the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes but..., 23 May 2015
Ok so I am an engineer, and engineering is interesting Ok. It was an interesting, short gallop through the period of high New York building - not sure I couldn't have got a better/more informative view from Wikipedia.

Under a Graveyard Sky (Black Tide Rising Book 1)
Under a Graveyard Sky (Black Tide Rising Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars The series starts to get interesting, 23 May 2015
I like John Ringos books and am about to buy and read the 4th book in this series. The first two can be repetitive about killing Zombies. The third book starts to get interesting for the characters, and the impact - on them - of all the zombie killing. But remember John Ringo is no bleeding heart Liberal, in fact - well I guess that's between him and the ballot box/machine.

The Panama Canal: The Construction and History of the Waterway Between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans

3.0 out of 5 stars Brief guide, 23 May 2015
It gave a brief canter through the project. Very short for what was the greatest engineering feats of the 20th century

All you ever wanted to know about fortifications but never asked
All you ever wanted to know about fortifications but never asked

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull Boring rubbish, 23 May 2015
Dull, boring rubbish written to satisfy a EU Grant. Uninformative as to any context. Really don't bother

The Lavalite World (World of Tiers Book 5)
The Lavalite World (World of Tiers Book 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best PJF book or even best in series, 2 Mar. 2014
I read the whole series again - after 40+years. This book was ok. Not the best one of the series,

A Private Cosmos (World of Tiers Book 3)
A Private Cosmos (World of Tiers Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 2 Mar. 2014
I read the whole series again - after 40+years. This book was still pretty good. This was the best one of the series,

Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers Book 4)
Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers Book 4)

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate, 2 Mar. 2014
I first read the Walls of Terra over 40 years ago. I like Phillip Jose Farmer books/stories. This was an unfortunate end to a reasonably good series

The Sex Slave Protocols: Drug Drives Girls Crazy!
The Sex Slave Protocols: Drug Drives Girls Crazy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 2 Mar. 2014
it was dull, boring pedestrian absolutely without any spark, amateurish and poorly written. Pointless, unsexy, unbelievable, what more can I say

Page: 1 | 2 | 3