Profile for "boberta" > Reviews

It's My Life
It's My Life
Offered by JB's CDs DVDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Another bit of class from No Doubt!!!, 15 Nov. 2003
This review is from: It's My Life (Audio CD)
As a big No Doubt fan I've been waiting for a new single for a while, so it's great to finally hear this version of 'It's My Life.' This is a really good reworking of the Talk Talk track, Gwen's voice sounds cool. Incidentally, the video is pretty cool too...I'm slightly scared of Gwen now!
I think the song will probably be Top 20 in the UK, though I think it deserves to be higher. I wish the band got a bit more recognition in Britain, because they're brilliant.

Return Of Saturn
Return Of Saturn
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated!, 22 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Return Of Saturn (Audio CD)
As far as I'm concerned 'Return of Saturn' is absolutely the best No Doubt album. It's certainly the most listenable. Their self-titled debut has dated slightly, 'The Beacon Street Collection' is pretty good but contains some average songs, 'Tragic Kingdom' is unarguably marvellous but tails off a bit towards the end (However, it contains 'Sunday Morning' and 'Don't Speak,' so it's definitely a classic) and 'Rock Steady' is cool and original but took me a lifetime to get in to.
This album, sadly, is criminally underrated. It kicks off with the amazing 'Ex-Girlfriend' and finishes with the brilliant 'Big Distaction.' (And, of course, the really lovely 'Too Late' instrumental.) Gwen's voice and songwriting talents are on full display for the first time on this album, and for me that's a definite bonus. It's No Doubt's (for want of a better word) 'rockiest' album and I would recommend it to anyone, even if they aren't into No Doubt's regular ska sound.
The best things about this album are the song 'New' (my favourite No Doubt song...apart from 'Sunday Morning) and Gwen's funky pink hair!

Revolution In Me
Revolution In Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic, 30 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
I just got this album two and half hours ago and I have already listened to it twice. It is genuinely a brilliant debut album by Siobhan Donaghy, it's very mature both lyrically and vocally. The 'feel' of the album is similar to 'One Touch' by the Sugababes (which is also fantastic, but this is hardly suprising since Cameron McVey was a big influence on both) and that is something I was glad of because I think it's a very refreshing sound.
Siobhan's music is not my usual cup of tea, I generally prefer rock music but what appeals to me about her style is her originality. It's something I can't quite put my finger on, but Siobhan is different to everything else out there and if you haven't heard this album I strongly recommend you do.
The stand out tracks on this album, aside from the two great singles 'Twist of Fate' and 'Overrated' are 'Nothing But Song,' 'Dialect' and 'Iodine.' But needless to say, they're all really good.
I've been a fan of Siobhan since she was in the Sugababes and I've been waiting for some solo material for what seems like forever, and what I've heard today is certainly not a disappointment.

Twist of Fate [CD 1]
Twist of Fate [CD 1]
Offered by RAREWAVES

5.0 out of 5 stars To call this single awful is blasphemous!, 11 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Twist of Fate [CD 1] (Audio CD)
Siobhan Donaghy is an absolute star and 'Twist of Fate' just goes to prove how talented she is. Her voice is fantastic on this record, and she truly deserves chart success. I was suprised at the chart position of 'Overrated' and I hope this track does better. However, there's something not quite mainstream about Siobhan, but in a world where the charts are dominated by Gareth bloody Gates and Girls A-friggin-loud, I'm kind of glad of that fact. If 'Twist of Fate' is anything to go by I'm really looking forward to the album.

Page: 1 | 2