Profile for Herr Holz Paul > Reviews

Content by Herr Holz Paul

Herr Holz Paul (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Homecraft AA8058W Handi-Reacher Long Arm Reaching Aid/Litter Picker - 90 cm/36 inch (Eligible for VAT relief in the UK)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very durable, 14 Oct. 2017
I have had two or three of this design grabber. I got a refund for the last one because it broke. The problem with this design is that the connecting rod in the tube has a week point at the handle and if you use a bit too much force, (very easy to do), the rod parts company with the handle rendering the whole thing useless and it is also not repairable in my opinion. Otherwise a good grabber! - LOL (nice jaws on it!)

Arcoroc ARC Jug 1,6L, 1 Jug
Arcoroc ARC Jug 1,6L, 1 Jug
Offered by Diy-Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Oct. 2017
Nice Jug! Good way to regulate your fluid intake - also if used for tap water it may help some of that chlorine evaporate rather than drinking straight from the tap! Looks nice too.

Red Mars (Mars Trilogy Book 1)
Red Mars (Mars Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Next Frontier, 10 Oct. 2017
The Mars mission seems now to be so close to home that this book has a virtually contemporary feel. The mission will be of enormous public interest. I found this book quite easy to read - it is a very compelling subject. This is no longer really Sci-Fi and I am sure everyone involved with the mission will or has already read it. As well as covering a wide range of the physical challenges we will face, it is also a very human story touching on psychological complexity which will invariably play a role.
A key theme and one of great interest is how society will evolve given what is in effect a clean canvas. But how much baggage are we importing from our Earthly culture? What of those primitive instincts we harbour? KSR goes a long way in speculating on these questions. I was rather sorry to see all the progress made in colonising Mars go up in smoke as the `Terrans`, ( a rather apt sounding word for the powers back on Earth), want to step up mineral exploitation amidst rebellion from the Martians. However KSR manages his own veering from utopian into dystopian without too much disruption and with some fascinating calamitous occurrences although the plot did seem to evaporate a bit towards the end.

Look To Windward
Look To Windward
by Iain M. Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feast for the imagination!, 21 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Look To Windward (Paperback)
There is a kind of outpouring of the imagination, a constant flow of ideas which is very rich in content. This stream of creativity may at times seem capricious as the scenery and plot can change dramatically from one chapter to the next. But this may not be a problem. If you look at the novel as an evolving entity and allow it to take you with it, it is quite a ride! For me the story or plot is almost not that important. It is the sheer depth and scope of the imagined worlds which make the novel interesting. When indeed the plot does thicken it just enhances the whole experience. A really engrossing novel. I will read more of his SF work!

Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo Modern Classics)
Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo Modern Classics)
by Ray Bradbury

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it before they burn it!, 10 Sept. 2017
Fire Is Bright And Fire Is Clean

The first thing that struck me was the style. It reads a bit like a fairy tale - Brothers Grimm - the language at times has a poetic quality, at times even puerile. The pace is unusually fast. There are no chapters as such, just the three parts and the book burns through fiercely. But there are some important messages going on here and some warnings about the unpredictable or perhaps even predictable course society is following. If they are not burning books they will be censoring the internet. It is about control. We all know the historical precedents. So for me this book is a reminder to be vigilant!
There is a very telling dialogue with Beatty, Montag`s fireman colleague who sets out very clearly the reasons why people need to be controlled. This episode is striking and deserves close attention.
I was reminded a bit of Orwell`s Animal Farm in that we have a fairly short story with a surreal like quality but with a very powerful message at its core and a warning of the perils which are ever present.

The Player Of Games: A Culture Novel (The Culture)
The Player Of Games: A Culture Novel (The Culture)
by Iain M. Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars Let Us Play, 7 Sept. 2017
The idea of a world where games and entertainment play a large role in society is interesting. Prowess and reputation figure highly. It is our wit and imagination that will be rewarded. Our hero Gurgeh is a pretty sombre, Been There Done That kind of guy - not easily impressed - his only regret seems to be not having succeeded in forging intimate relationships with certain ladies - yep - know the feeling. The society he inhabits, The Culture, appears relatively speaking to have reached a certain niveau especially when compared to the world he visits for The Games, the latter which I cannot help feeling the author is modelling on our own human race here on Earth, albeit in many ways more technologically advanced than ours. In fact this comparison is blatantly obvious in places.
What at first might be described as Utopian Space Opera becomes more political towards the end of the novel as Gurgeh gets more involved with The Empire and their problematic style of society. We get a taste of the dystopian Iain Banks and it is not sweet.

Sea Fishing Travel Set Up 4 Piece Rod & Reel With Deluxe Case Carryall + Tackle
Sea Fishing Travel Set Up 4 Piece Rod & Reel With Deluxe Case Carryall + Tackle
Offered by carp-corner

4.0 out of 5 stars It was THIS Big!!, 26 Aug. 2017
Seems good value for what you get though it has been a few years since I have bought any fishing tackle. I added a few items to complete the kit.
The three different size tips make sense so you can go heavy or light. One minor criticism I might make is that the tip section I used was quite a tight fit and needed some attention to take apart. I`m sure a good fisherman will find a solution to this! - A bit of graphite - a bit of sand paper etc... - only once you have fiddled with something to you truly own it!

The Martian
The Martian
by Andy Weir

5.0 out of 5 stars Extreme Botany, 18 Aug. 2017
This review is from: The Martian (Paperback)
`The airlock`s on its side, and I can hear a steady hiss. So either it`s leaking or there are snakes in here. Either way, I`m in trouble`

The idea of being stranded on Mars with some kit and having to improvise to survive is a fascinating one.
At first I found the diary like daily status reports and our hero`s gung-ho attitude a bit wearisome, but as the story unfolded I soon changed my mind and found Watney quite inspiring. It has much to do with courage in the face of adversity and a sense of humour as well as the spirit of adventure. A great book in my opinion!

Foundation (Foundation Novels (Paperback))
Foundation (Foundation Novels (Paperback))
by Isaac Asimov
Edition: School & Library Binding

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 July 2017
I guess it is a personal thing! I came from reading Arthur C Clarke - who I really like - ,looking for something new to read.
I am not one to give up on a book lightly. With Foundation I read the first few chapters carefully - then speed read the next few until I was
about half way through and then after flipping through the remaining pages decided to call it a day. This is not my thing. Loads and loads of politics and dialogue and very little else - or maybe I missed the real meat of the story - but I`m afraid the author failed to catch me on this one. And then what seems to be a fundamental part of the plot, ie they are going to save civilisation for another day by writing everything down! I`m outta here!

2010: Odyssey Two
2010: Odyssey Two
by Arthur C. Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars The core of Jupiter was a diamond as big as the Earth, 4 July 2017
This review is from: 2010: Odyssey Two (Paperback)
It is good to be back for another adventure in to the solar system and with Clarke`s straightforward, readable approach to Sci-Fi. It is uncanny how he seems to have predicted some 50 years ahead, China`s emergence as a leading player in the space race! Although this time being first has certain drawbacks! Clarke handles space exploration in such a matter of fact way, and the voyage taking place in our own solar system, that I was reading this more like a documentary than Sci-Fi. The Alien presence also seems to take on a certain credibility, through 2001 and 2010 and we are so adaptable as people that if aliens were to appear it would be a mere generation before they were a normal part of our every day lives.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12