Profile for Louise > Reviews

Gifts from the Garden: 100 Gorgeous Homegrown Presents
Gifts from the Garden: 100 Gorgeous Homegrown Presents
by Debora Robertson

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read and a thrill to make things from, 8 Nov. 2012
I absolutely LOVE this book. I often find myself curling up on the sofa with it and just reading it from cover to cover again and again. The pictures, layout and texture are just so inviting and the way in which it's written so engaging. I want to make absolutely everything from it as gifts for Christmas, but have persuaded myself to keep some things back for future years. I thoroughly recommend it as a gift for anyone interested in cooking, gardening or just making lovely things.

How to be a Productivity Ninja. Forget Time Management: How to Get Things Done in the Age of Information Overload
by Graham Allcott

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly readable and incredibly practical guide to being more productive, 10 July 2012
There are only so many courses you can go on or books you can read about managing your time before you give up, thinking you're just not up to the job of being `productive'. The problem really is that time management isn't productivity and finally Graham Allcott has written a book that can really help us all to make a difference.

The book starts out by helping we ninjas in training to understand more about what makes us tick; when do we work best? what distracts us? why do we put off work? what cause the stress? The tools and methods that are then covered work alongside those triggers to help us be at our most effective.

All of Think Productive's work is based around the CORD productivity model and it's actually pretty easy to build into your everyday routine.

C is for capturing and collecting. It's having a system in place to capture all of those little tasks, to-dos, reminders, questions that are coming into your life. O is for organise and that's really about being able to sort everything you've captured into rubbish, reference, to dos etc. R is for review and this is where you turn all your capturing and organising into something practical. Finally, D is for do. The whole reason for looking at your productivity is to actually get stuff done and working through the book helps you to understand what times, places and methods work best for your different types of tasks.

The thing I really like about this book is that it takes all of the heavy thinking from people like David Allen and creates a resource you can actually work through and use. More importantly it gives you tools to use every day to make your life that bit easier.... and of course, productive.