Profile for Tanner > Reviews

Makeup to Breakup: My Life in and Out of Kiss
Makeup to Breakup: My Life in and Out of Kiss
by Peter Criss

5.0 out of 5 stars A real insight into a rock 'n' roll world!!, 3 Dec. 2012
This is probably the most personalised, heart felt biography ever written. The grittiness, the truth and the romance all rolled up into a mass of self confession. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in KISS and/or the Rock 'n' Roll business/world.

The Perfect King: The Life of Edward III, Father of the English Nation
The Perfect King: The Life of Edward III, Father of the English Nation
by Ian Mortimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Magnificent., 31 Aug. 2012
As a student of History I have very much appreciated this book as an essential addition to my knowledge. Mr Mortimer had done a great job of bringing Edward III and his contemporaries alive with colour and vigour. The tone is commanding, but friendly and the passages flow very nicely indeed. The Author makes his claims authoritively and professionally (I am however quite undecided on the 'Death of Edward II'). In purchasing this book you can not fail to be interested or intrigued by this very readable, yet intelligent assessment of one of our greatest Kings. I could not give sufficient justice without paragraphs of praise. Well Done Mr Mortimer.

Marc Morris' Assessment of the grandfather (Edward I, Longshanks or Hammer of the Scots) would be a great addition to this particular work and is certainly worth a look...A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain

3 Row Pyramid Studded Belt, Bonded Leather (FREE UK DELIVERY) Black (3 Pyramid Bonded Leather Black (FREE UK DELIVERY) Large)
Offered by HotShuffle

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice., 31 Aug. 2012
This is a nice, solid belt. It's comfortable and stylish. Only slight draw back is the light buckle, but at this price I don't think that's at all an issue.

Mens classic Brando Real Leather Jacket #B2 (Large)
Mens classic Brando Real Leather Jacket #B2 (Large)
Offered by The Real Leather Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 31 Aug. 2012
I am very pleased with this jacket. At a good price, well fitting, real leather and of a great design. Need I say more? I'm chuffed!!

Alfred the Great
Alfred the Great
by Justin Pollard

5.0 out of 5 stars A very splendid works, 12 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Alfred the Great (Paperback)
It would primarily be most prudent to mention just how much I enjoyed reading this biography. The way in which Aelfred's story is unspun is akin to reading any of the best historical fiction.

The picture of Aelfred is completed with a well rounded account of the most significant events of his reign both at home and on the continent. Past events that are especially seen to be of relevance to Aelfred's predicaments are also cleverly interwoven into the story. Interestingly, the most intriguing interpretation is that Aelfred may have actually been betrayed and 'unelected' by his Witan in 877 in the face of Guthrum's invasion. This was thoroughly believable and well presented. The entirety of Pollard's work here is strong and so very well researched, thus giving us readers the most accurate picture of Aelfred's reign and world as could be grasped from a single book.

I must stress just how extraordinarily enjoyable and enlightening: "Alfred the Great, The Man Who Made England" was for me to read. It has been written and executed with a scholarly endeavour that the man himself would have greatly appreciated.

Iron Maiden
Iron Maiden

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing short of a Masterpiece..., 9 July 2012
This review is from: Iron Maiden (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums that I have ever heard. Fantastic Guitars, aggressive and meaningful lyrics and outstanding recording quality. This is Rock at its best, unadulterated and simply special. You would be missing out if you were not to get this album. The Number of the Beast is also a must for those of you that rate this like I most certainly do. No nonsense.

Kissology Vol.1 1974-1977 [DVD] [2009] [NTSC]
Kissology Vol.1 1974-1977 [DVD] [2009] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Kiss

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 11 May 2012
This is an excellent DVD set and includes KISS at their absolute peak (it's mostly downhill hereafter). Great footage of mostly very good quality for the era. I would most certainly reccomend this particular Kissology, though Kissology 3 has superior picture quality, the raw excitement and energy doesn't even come close to this. Wish I was there... but with this collection I have the next best thing.

Ace Frehley
Ace Frehley

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Good!, 3 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Ace Frehley (Audio CD)
Ace Frehley's 1978 Solo effort is by far and a way the best of the four solo KISS releases. It contains the popular hit single: 'New York Groove' and eight other talented tracks. The standouts for me must include: 'Rip it Out' and 'Speeding Back to My Baby'- which along with New York Groove would have fit snugly into any of KISS' previous albums. Other noteworthy favourites are: "What's on you Mind", "Wiped Out" and "I'm in Need of Love" - these for me are unexpected delights. Personally, the tracks: "Snow Blind" and "Ozone" are heavier than anything that Kiss had attempted up untill this point and are therefore my least favourite of any on this album, but still worth a listen as your taste might well be heavier than my own. Finally, "Fractured Mirror" is what can only be described as showing off - here Ace really shows the world his gift for complex and intergrated guitar work in this exquisite instrumental. My advice.... like Kiss? like Ace? - If 'Yes' for both buy this and enjoy!!! I would also reccomend this - Anomaly

Alive II
Alive II

5.0 out of 5 stars Alive! Live! Amazing!, 29 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Alive II (Audio CD)
Here we go. I can simply put it as my favourite all time album, up until I finally got round to getting Alive! - Alive II does contain some absolutely fantastic songs and some great versions of them, but... and here's the BUT:

- The added crowd noise is too overbearing on some tracks and some tracks are 'realer' than others.
- With the exception of Ace's 'Rocket Ride' the studio songs feel like rejects from Rock and Roll Over and 'Anyway you want it' is 'Kissin Time' all over again, crap Sixtees Pop.

Nitpicking aside, this album is mostly a sheer masterpiece with the best Kiss songs of 76-77 brought together how they were meant to be - Live and exciting! My only other gripe is that I would have preferred live versions of: 'Take Me', 'Do you Love Me' and 'Hooligan' rather than any new studio material.I do however thouroughly reccomend this album as it has quite simply changed my life since i have had it. Wonderful stuff!

Raven 3: Odin's Wolves
Raven 3: Odin's Wolves
by Giles Kristian

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Read!, 29 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Raven 3: Odin's Wolves (Paperback)
As a well seasoned reader of Historical fiction I was most delighted to get my teeth into this wonderous book that simply held me 'Spellbound'. This is, honestly one of the most gripping stories that i have ever had the pleasure to set eyes upon. I was compelled to storm through the book at a lightening pace. I would most certainly compare this with the very best of any Historical fiction that i have thus far encountered and would sternly defend this book against those reviews that label this as anything less than the world class piece that it most certainly is. The story is wholesome and the characters are delightfully vivid. I am especially pleased to read a book which focuses on a band of characters rather than soley the main protagonist, which unquestionably gives the story a multitude of dimensions and richness. I loved it and so will you - ENJOY!

Page: 1 | 2