Profile for Tom Cowley > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Bon Bon
Bon Bon
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend that you see these guys live they are a ..., 16 Oct. 2017
This review is from: Bon Bon (Audio CD)
I highly recommend that you see these guys live they are a fantastic group of musicians. This is their second album and captures the great playing of all concerned. David Price's writing is a real pleasure and his soulful vocals are a joy to the ears. I love the first album which is basically what they would play as a live set at the time. This recording captures the true essence of all four accomplished artists so do yourself a favour buy it and support good music.

afro temple
afro temple

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 April 2017
This review is from: afro temple (Audio CD)
Fantastic afro latin funk. Reminds me of Mongo Santamaria, Sun Ra and Fela Kuti.

Hill Street Blues: Music from the Original Television Score [SOUNDTRACK]
Hill Street Blues: Music from the Original Television Score [SOUNDTRACK]

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 April 2015
Good

X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker with 3.5mm Jack Compatible with iPhone/iPad/iPod/Smartphones/Tablets/MP3 Player/Laptop - Black
Offered by total digital stores

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 April 2015
Great.

Tombstone
Tombstone

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoking Hot Album., 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Tombstone (Audio CD)
The Hot 8 had returned from a tour of the UK and recorded their Grammy nominated The Life & Times Of cd which is great. This follow up is however a much darker and funkier offering altogether. I love New Orleans brass bands but often studio recordings fail to capture the sheer unadulterated joy and life affirming energy of a brass marching band live. This is an excellent group of songs that really do capture the exhilarating thrill of a brass band in full effect. They along with the Soul Rebels and of course the Rebirth brass band are an experience that you should have at least once in your life.

Moonburn
Moonburn

4.0 out of 5 stars Good studio album, but nothing is Mo Hippa than seeing him in New Orleans., 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Moonburn (Audio CD)
A good studio recording of the great Jon Cleary and I agree with at least one review that nothing beats seeing him playing in a one story, pressed tin ceiling wooden bar in New Orleans. He really does have to be seen live with the Absolute Monster Gentlemen or playing solo piano, he has the magic fingers. I love the crescent city because music is its heartbeat. If you love the many styles of funk, jazz, soul, brass band, blues and anything in between that have been born or passed through this magic city you will enjoy this cd. Like I said if you love live music do yourself a favour and get a plane ticket to New Orleans you will never regret it.

The Lost Broadcast
The Lost Broadcast

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find., 28 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Lost Broadcast (Audio CD)
This is one of those lost recordings that really stands up to being issued on cd. The music is out of this world with a band on top form and a choice of well and lesser known numbers. This is an opportunity to hear a fantastic group of musicians playing out of their skins. I have only heard one live recorded track from this era on a local NOLA radio station before so I didn't hesitate when I saw this advertised. Dr John is at his voodoo funk best and to hear walk on gilded splinters done live with such joyous energy is a trip.

You Better Believe It! + Moment of Truth + bonus track
You Better Believe It! + Moment of Truth + bonus track

5.0 out of 5 stars You had better believe it!, 6 April 2013
I remember hearing these albums back in the late eighties at Rays Jazz and how excited I was when I got home to listen to them. The combination of a smoking Big Band and Groove Holmes Hammond organ blew me away, it was also my introduction to Teddy Edwards and Harold Land. I got the same thrill when I put the CD on today and if you like Big Band music you will love this.

3 Phat Catz & 1 Skinny Dogg
3 Phat Catz & 1 Skinny Dogg

5.0 out of 5 stars Get well Big Al., 1 April 2013
Firstly this is a fantastic modern blues album full of funky stuff. I went on a last minute trip to New Orleans two years ago. On my first night I went to see John Boutte at the DBA bar on Frenchman street he failed to turn up that night and as I went back to my hotel I walked passed a bar on Bourbon street. I heard what I assumed had to be a record playing as it was such a tight band and the voice that came booming out from the door was so rich and authentic. I thought it must be some old classic recording. To my shock when I walked into the bar I realized that it was coming from a tiny stage in the back and saw the larger than life figure of Big Al Carson singing his heart out. I spent the next hour in almost utter disbelief as he and the Blues Masters played their asses off to a packed audience of New Orleans natives it was August and that's as close to off season as you get in the Crescent City. It was the real deal with entire generations of family's including big Mommas shacking their thing. I had a huge smile on my face and ended up buying this CD off the man himself, highly recommended. I went back last year and had a great time but sadly Big Al has been unwell for over a year now and he has not been playing with the Blues Masters at the Funky Pirate but wishing you all the best Al and I hope to see you again one day. 01/04/13 Just had to add that for any one interested Big Al is back doing what only he can do at the Funky Pirate Thursday to Saturday with the Blues Masters, time to get back to New Orleans Yall.

Page: 1 | 2