Profile for Jack Thunder > Reviews

Content by Jack Thunder

Jack Thunder

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
BenQ XL2411Z 24 inch 144 Hz e-Sports Gaming Monitor (1 ms Response Time, FPS Mode, Black eQualiser, Flicker-free, Height Adjustment Stand, HDMI x 2) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth moving images, let down by poor colours and viewing angles., 19 May 2015
I've had this monitor for 2 months. It's great for smooth gaming at 144Hz. With V-sync off, I can only just see screen tearing occasionally in GTA V (nVidia GTX 970). Tearing is much less noticable at 144Hz compared to 60Hz.

This monitor doesn't get 5 stars because the colours and viewing angles are noticeably worse than my old Dell 2407WFP which I bought in 2006 for about £500.

For the price, this BenQ XL2411Z is a great monitor, but it's not quite good enough for me. I'll be selling this one and I've just ordered an 27" Acer Predator XB270HU. It has higher resolution, 144Hz, G-Sync and an IPS Panel so the colours and viewing angles should be better. Of course it's almost 3x the price of this BenQ, but you get what you pay for.

Fifty Shades of Graham: Condensed for Blokes (And Cool Birds)
Fifty Shades of Graham: Condensed for Blokes (And Cool Birds)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing Little Spoof That's Quick To Read, 23 Mar. 2015
It's fair to say this is a very short book. However, that's precisely the point - it saves you the time wading through the original. Each chapter is heavily condensed, sometimes into just a sentence or two. And it's brilliant! It makes you wonder how on earth the original could have stretched out the storyline so much. I did find this book amusing in an adolescent humour kind of way, which is my favourite sort. I laughed out loud throughout this charming little bookette. After reading this, I have absolutely zero inclination to read the original, which is precisely the point - this book has fulfilled its remit admirably.

This is a great little time-saver, and I can imagine it being a fun novelty birthday present or stocking filler.

StarTech Bi-Directional SATA IDE Adapter Converter
StarTech Bi-Directional SATA IDE Adapter Converter

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well after a bit of experimentation with jumpers, but the instruction leaflet is too basic, 7 Mar. 2015
I'm using this device to connect an old Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 IDE hard drive into my SATA-only computer.

At first, my computer's BIOS wouldn't recognise the IDE hard drive at all. The sheet of instructions is very basic and contains no troubleshooting advice. I read other reviews on Amazon looking for ideas, and saw several people mention changing the jumpers on the IDE drive.

As with other reviewers, I found that only Cable Select mode worked - the drive was not detected by the BIOS in either Master nor Slave modes. An added bit of difficulty was that I had to Google how to set the drive's jumpers correctly because the diagram on the hard drive itself was incomprehensible!

Now, I get solid red and green LEDs on this adapter, which I assume means it's operating correctly. Previously, I was only getting a solid red LED.

Both my BIOS and Windows 8 correctly detect the Maxtor IDE drive and I'm able to retrieve the data that I needed and copy it to another drive.

NOTE: My motherboard's SATA controller operates in AHCI mode (setting in the BIOS). This works fine with this adapter and there was no need to change the BIOS setting to work in IDE mode.

Space Rangers HD (PC DVD)
Space Rangers HD (PC DVD)
Offered by Gameseek

4.0 out of 5 stars Marmite, 25 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Space Rangers is something that you either love or hate. Overall it feels a bit outdated so you'd have to be a real fan if you want to look beyond the old graphics and music. Even though the game delivers literally hundreds of hours of entertainment, many of the game's elements are like from the stone age, including all the negatives from the original title. Fans of the hardcore experiences will enjoy this the same way as the previous installments.

Slow Sex: The Path to Fulfilling and Sustainable Sexuality
Slow Sex: The Path to Fulfilling and Sustainable Sexuality

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible - Buyer Beware, 24 April 2014
A friend recommended this to me. I wish I'd realised before purchasing just how spiritually-based this book is. I'm a science guy with little tolerance for mumbo jumbo superstition and folklore.

The writing style is cumbersome and annoying too.

Most seriously, I didn't learn a single thing from this book which I'd be happy to actually put into practice. It was a total waste of time for me.

I got about 2/3 through before getting thoroughly fed up and choosing never to look at it again.

Dolextech Fresh Series Mix PU Leather Cover Hard Case For LG G2 D802 smartphone 100% Nillkin Protective Cover (For LG G2 smartphone, White)
Offered by DOLEXTECH

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but a bit overpriced, 24 April 2014
I desperately needed a cover for my LG G2 after being mortified at managing to get 2 small scratches on the screen within the first fortnight.

This cover has a little magnet which helps keep it closed, a nice little feature. The back is molded white plastic and I really like it - it's shaped perfectly for this phone and still leaves the important bits and pieces accessible.

I'm less keen on the front cover. The material is a little flimsy (sometimes the front moves about a bit, not protecting the phone properly), I don't like the fake leather look and it's also slightly cream in colour rather than white. But these things are just personal preference I suppose.

On the plus side, it's really cool having the widgets displayed in the small piece of screen still visible - I have mine set to show the weather plus the time.

Overall, this is a a great case, but it doesn't quite justify its cost and it'd be better with a front cover made of solid plastic like the back piece.

NETGEAR JWNR2010-100UKS Wireless N300Mbps Cable Router with 5dBi External Antenna

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 24 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This router does the job adequately. It's easy to set up and configure and has plenty of helpful advice built in to its setup screens to help novices and experts alike work out which settings to use. In fact, it has Beginner and Advanced mode settings, which are usefully separated.

I'm an IT infrastructure guy by trade, so I know a thing or two about routers. There are quite a few surprising features bundled with this one - most of it will never be used by most people but it's good to know it's there if you do need it.

It's been running for about 2-3 weeks now with no problems at all.

Range is just OK - it's no better or worse than the free router my ISP gave me for free. In further corners of our average-sized home I still lose signal altogether in places.

Connection speed is disappointing - I've only been able to manage a maximum of 72Mb from just 1 room away. So the stated speed of 300Mb is probably a bit optimistic for most people. Still, anything over about 50Mb will be perfectly adequate for most people's needs, even with several devices streaming HD video around the home.

Overall, it's a competent bit of kit at a decent price. Just don't bank on getting anywhere near the 300Mb advertised.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2014 10:59 AM BST

TP-Link 150 Mbps Wi-Fi Travel Router (Support Router Mode/Hotspot Mode/Range Extender Mode/Client Mode/Access Point Mode, Built-In Power Adapter, 1 USB Port, UK Plug (TL-WR710N))
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit, 18 April 2014
[UPDATE] This was a 1 star review until today (24/04/2014). I have contacted TPLink's technical support with the slim hope that they might be able to fix the problems I was having. To my surprise their suggestions worked.

This device is now working flawlessly and I'm very happy with it.

Some tips:
Consider keeping this device on the same network subnet as the rest of your home network devices. This device seems to have problems when you have multiple subnets on your LAN. Also, don't use the built-in DHCP server. Either set your devices up with Static IP details, or use another router at home as the DHCP Server.

[ORIGINAL 1-STAR REVIEW]
I bought this to provide Internet connectivity to a computer that didn't have a wireless network card fitted (known as "client mode" on this device). Initially, this device seemed like it had a wealth of features and was good value for money. However, now I wish I'd just bought the Wireless card for my PC instead.

The computer connected to the TL-WR710N loses Internet connectivity with depressing regularity, at least once per day. It's a common occurence for me to have to unplug this router and plug it in again and wait 3 mins for it to boot up in order to restore Internet access. I am only 1 room away from my house's main wireless router - and my laptop, tablet and phones all have perfect Internet access at this distance.

I ran a continuous "ping" test from the computer connected to to the TL-WR710N and also from a wireless laptop sat right next to it. This TP-Link piece of rubbish missed pings all the time - the laptop never did.

Honestly, this device is a piece of crap. Unfortunately I have had it a few weeks now so can't return it. I'm going to buy a cheap wireless card for my PC instead.

Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Swing-n-Rocker
Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Swing-n-Rocker

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock on!, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As new parents, a number of our friends recommended purchasing a rocker and given other reviews we decided to give this one a go. As other reviewers point out, make sure you have your Philips screwdriver at the ready as you will need one for assembly. Despite some work needed to put the rocker together, the individual components are well made and you can get the rocker from box-to-ready inside 10 mins.

Whilst the rocker will undoubtedly aid with settling your little one, the lion plush toys are position quite far away the baby and
as such your child wont be able to reach their new friends until roughly six months old. There is a huge variety of tunes / music to
choose from which is a big plus (meaning one particular tune isn't burned into your sub-conscious).

I am really happy with this rocker and would certainly recommend it.

18W PLDE (4-pin) G24Q-2 Base Fluorescent Lightbulb - White
18W PLDE (4-pin) G24Q-2 Base Fluorescent Lightbulb - White
Offered by thegamebooth

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to find online - great value, 17 April 2014
I struggled to find a bricks'n'mortar shop which stocked these. After several false starts at such stores where I kept buying similar but incorrect bulbs (and then needing to return them), eventually I just came onto Amazon and bought one of these. Item arrived quickly and undamaged. It's a high quality product and much cheaper than in the shops too. For some reason Royal Mail decided to open the package in transit, however the item was not damaged and it wasn't Amazon's fault.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15