Profile for JulieGirl > Reviews

Black Light Express
Black Light Express
by Philip Reeve

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 27 May 2017
This review is from: Black Light Express (Hardcover)
Railhead was excellent - Black Light Express is outstanding! I've just turned the last page and am eagerly waiting for Book 3. The cast of characters and fantastic worlds intertwine to form a harmony as wondrous as any rail song. Clever and inventive, with a beautiful love story at it's heart. Enjoy!

Heap House: The Iremonger Trilogy
Heap House: The Iremonger Trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Quirky, Gothic - Superb!, 1 Mar. 2015
Heap House starts a little slowly, I realise now, because it has to set up a lot of world building. The world building isn't heavy handed - it is just necessary to build atmosphere. This is Victorian London, but not as we know it or I've seen before by other author's imaginings. The first few chapters held my attention because the world building was interesting - then the story got going good and proper and I was hooked in - with no hope of putting the book down until I'd finished. The story is a breathless ride up and down the corridors and chimneys and halls of Heap House and then out onto the sea of Heaps itself - an ever menacing presence surrounding the house. Victorian the story maybe, but it has much to say about the disposable world of the 21st Century too. I could gush about how great this book is for pages and pages, but instead, I'll just entreat you to read it. I think fans of Garth Nix, Philip Reeve and Neil Gaiman will LOVE this book.

Holes
Holes
by Louis Sachar

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 19 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Holes (Paperback)
A wonderfully told story. Every detail is perfectly woven into a beautiful and un-put-down-able story of despair, hope, luck and friendship. I read it in one day and enjoyed every sentence.

Moriarty
Moriarty
by Anthony Horowitz

2.0 out of 5 stars A distinct lack of Moriarty, 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Moriarty (Hardcover)
I bought the book on the strength of the title. I was intrigued by the idea of getting inside the brain of Moriarty. Unfortunately the book (despite the twist) failed to deliver this and to make matters worse, for me marginalised my beloved Holmes and Watson.
That said, the story and style of writing are reminiscent of the era and the police procedural plot bowls along, going much darker than any Conan Doyle adventure.
In retrospect it's a very clever plot, but unfortunately this is only revealed at the end - by which time you may, like me, be past caring what happens to any of the characters.

Seal Island
Seal Island
by Julia Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Family love, friendship and adventure; all woven into a heart warming story, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Seal Island (Paperback)
A very enjoyable read for children (and the young at heart). In some ways the story is reminiscent of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House in the Big Woods, as the main character Grace discovers what island life is all about when she stays with her Granny for the summer. Julia Green has a wonderful way of incorporating the sea, the wind, the rocks and sand and the sunshine into her stories and this one is no exception. You'll feel very much part of the Seal Island.

Goblin Quest (Goblins 3)
Goblin Quest (Goblins 3)
by Philip Reeve

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the GOBLIN series (and Books 1 and 2 are excellent too!), 7 Jun. 2014
Book 3 sees Skarper and Henwyn setting off on a Goblin Quest, along with the cast of characters from the first two books (apart from one very much missed Princess).
The plot is too twisty and turny to precis here - and anyway, I don't want to give any spoilers.
Just to say that the story is fast paced, laugh out loud funny and full of rich invention - with a very satisfying ending.
For me, the Goblins series is a funny, fresh and modern take on the lands of myths and legends, with none of the usual stereotyping of creatures. I do so very much hope there will be another in the series.
You don't need to have read the first two Goblin books to enjoy this one - but I think it adds to the adventure if you do... and they are both excellent anyway.
Enjoy!

The Year of The Rat
The Year of The Rat
by Clare Furniss

5.0 out of 5 stars Beguiliing and Engrossing, 9 May 2014
This review is from: The Year of The Rat (Hardcover)
I've just turned the last page of this beautifully written book. I put off reading it for a few days - the subject matter isn't something I normally want to engage with. Yet when I began, the story drew me in and held onto me until I finished. There's little external action, because it's a story about what happens on the inside... and that's what makes it so engrossing. And I think because it's an internal tale, when there are "action" sequences they really punch home. It's a quick read too - a real page turner. I enjoyed The Year of the Rat. I'm glad I read it - in a way I wouldn't have thought before hand. I'm looking forward to enjoying future stories from Clare Furniss.

Incarceron
Incarceron
by Catherine Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars Incarceron sucks you in and doesn't let you go until the last page, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Incarceron (Paperback)
The story is fast paced, yet visually rich and detailed at the same time. I was glued to the story from start to finish, reading it in just two days. It's a tense drama of two worlds, tightly woven together around the same theme. I have finished the story, but my mind still wanders the halls and valleys of Incarceron. Enjoy!

Doctor Who: The Beast of Babylon: Ninth Doctor (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts Book 9)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story - suprising twists, 10 Nov. 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed Charlie Higson's 9th Doctor. The story invoked a strong sense of Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor - one of my favourites. The story reads like an entertaining episode of Doctor Who - including a couple of surprising twists and a satisfying explanation of an unanswered question from the television series. Enjoy!

Doctor Who: The Roots of Evil: Fourth Doctor (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars I can hear the voices of Tom Baker and Louise Jameson!, 30 May 2013
I really enjoyed Philip Reeve's 4th Doctor story. I think he captures the essence of the Doctor and Leela perfectly - when I read the story I could see Tom and Louise acting it out in my imagination... and I loved the K9 Cameo! The story's excellent too, as good as anything from the 4th Doctor series and true to Philip Reeve, very inventive. I wonder if we can persuade him to write some more!?
Enjoy!