Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now
Profile for B. Rose > Reviews

Content by B. Rose

B. Rose "Soothsayer" (Sweden)

Octahedron
Octahedron

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, and a logical step forward, 14 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Octahedron (Audio CD)
Contrary to other reviews of 'Octahedron', I wasn't a fan of The Bedlam In Goliath. I found it to be a messy album, with flashes of brilliance bogged down in noise and incoherence.
I found this album a breath of fresh air and a welcome change from the frenetic energy of their previous albums. Don't get me wrong, I love The Mars Volta but it's nice when they tone it down a little occasionally and let the instruments breathe a little, and this album does that.
It does feel like a stepping stone to their next album though, whatever that will be. I'm still waiting fo something on the level of 'Deloused In The Comatorium', which would almost get my vote for album of the 00's.

Put simply, if you're familiar with the Volta and like them, get this album. If you're looking for an introduction to them, get their first album, 'Deloused...'

My Arms Your Hearse
My Arms Your Hearse

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of a new Opeth, 28 July 2005
This review is from: My Arms Your Hearse (Audio CD)
Fans starting off from the beginning like I did (Orchid & Morningrise) will be slightly jarred by MAYH on first listen, it is a rather radical departure from the twin-guitar assault of the first two albums, but give it a few listens and you'll realise it's one of their best albums to date.
'April Ethereal' kicks off proceedings Opeth style with some double bassage + awesome riffage and is even now one of my all-time fave Opeth songs. Even better that it is followed ay another Opeth classic...'When', from this point you can tell Opeth have evolved from the slightly patchwork-esque style of songwriting found on 'Morningrise' (the masterpiece) showing a more structured song writing on this album.
'Madrigal' is a short interlude that leads onto 'The Amen Corner', while not as good as the first two tracks it still more than holds its own.
'Demon Of The Fall' is probably one of the most recognised Opeth tracks and a live favourite, they play it live at practically every time, although slightly overrated it's still an awesome track and has some great moments.
Leading on to 'Credence' which is the 'soft' song on MAYH (which is notably absent in many softer parts compared to the rest of their albums). It is average on the Opeth scale bar the end of the song which is just beautiful. 'Karma' follows and it doesn't mess about, launching you straight into the heaviness, although slightly less memorable than the other heavy tracks on MAYH, it's still awesome and worth repeated listens. The album wraps up with Epilogue, a slow-burning almost jam-session song which I think ends the album perfectly.
As another reviewer mentioned, it is not the most accessible album, it takes a few listens for you to dig it, but once you do you won't look back, it's an album you can keep going back to and never get bored.

Blackwater Park
Blackwater Park
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album from start to finish, 18 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
Blackwater Park is an awesome album, no question about it, and it may have gained them a lot more acclaim but it's not their best album by a long shit, in my opinion anyway, if you're looking to get into Opeth (which I VERY highly recommend you do), check out Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse and Still Life.
I'll just do a track by track rundown, it's easier.
The Leper Affinity: This song kicks off the album perfectly, excellent riffage, leads onto a nice lead harmony and finishes off with a nice piano outro to round it off. Awesome
Bleak: Although some people don't like this track because of the repeating in the first 4 mins or so, stick with this one, it is awesome, strange little james bond sounding riff that leads onto one of the most melodic guitar breaks, the kind that gives ya goosebumps. Chorus is also great.
Harvest: Lovely acoustic track with a hint of dark thanks to Steven Wilsons nice effects on the lead at the beginning, great chorus, good to sing along to.
The Drapery Falls: A lot of peoples fave on this album but is slightly overrated I think, the intro gets a bit dull but it definetly picks up round the midsection, overall a good song.
Dirge For November: Very nice acoustic passage at the beginning that leads onto some very evil (and oddly enough melodic) chord progressions, finishes off with a very nice acoustic part the end that drips atmosphere.
The Funeral Portrait: When you hear the beginning acoustic riff, you just know it's leading up to something, and it does with style, awesome riffage and a great headbanging track, one of the heavier tracks on the album.
Patterns In The Ivy: Sweet little acoustic interval, nice for a few listens but gets a bit dull, although saying that, it does lead up to the next song nicely...
Blackwater Park: Well, this just finishes off the album perfectly, some awesome riffs and a soft acoustic part makes you think that this is not gonna get heavy, you're damn wrong, some heavy ass riffs come into play, one of the best songs on the album.
I'm not going to go into the bonus tracks, but if you're new to this album, I recommend getting the special edition with two extra tracks (Still Day In The Sun and Patterns In The Ivy II), both acoustic tracks, both excellent.

Anarchists in Good Taste
Anarchists in Good Taste
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lyrics, great sound, great music!, 29 Jun. 2002
A friend of mine introduced me to the lovely guys that are Dog Fashion Disco and at first I was a bit sceptical but once I listened to 'Leper Friend', I was hooked! I'm not going to give you a track by track review because I find that doing that usually ruins the CD for others. There are some really great lyrics that you should find funny if you aren't easily offended. An example of some of the lyrics are "Don't fall asleep or we'll mutilate your genitals". Great stuff! My personal favourite tracks on this album are 'Leper Friend', 'Headless' and 'Valley Girl Ventriloquist'. If you want to hear an original, light-hearted band who use some funny keyboard noises, then Dog Fashion Disco are the band for you.