Profile for Pere > Reviews

Content by Pere

Pere "perevision" (London, UK)

April and the Extraordinary World
April and the Extraordinary World
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 20 Sept. 2016
Absolutely wonderful! It's often hard to make steampunk seem fresh, but this stunning adaptation of Jacques Tardi's graphic novel draws you in with breathless action, imaginative and detailed worldbuilding, and a grumpy, bloody-minded but endlessly charming protagonist. Even the talking cat seems to make sense in this story. Definitely a keeper on my list of favourites!

UNIQOOO Arts & Crafts Draco Malfoy Family Badge Wax Seal Stamp
UNIQOOO Arts & Crafts Draco Malfoy Family Badge Wax Seal Stamp
Offered by NAVAdealUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Bigger than I expected & took a ..., 12 Sept. 2016
Love it! Bigger than I expected & took a couple of tries to deliver. It also uses a lot of wax as it's so big (about the size of a £2 coin). But the detail is amazing and it's the most unique seal I own! Would definitely recommend.

Black Carbon Ink Cartridges 4 Pack by Platinum
Black Carbon Ink Cartridges 4 Pack by Platinum
Offered by KJ Beckett

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Ink!, 27 Mar. 2016
I ordered Platinum Carbon Ink cartridges, which are waterproof. I got Platinum Standard Black cartridges - NOT waterproof, and more a dark gray than black. No explanatory note. Not recommended.

Magic Mike XXL
Magic Mike XXL
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, this movie made me want to argue on the Internet with a MRA. But it's worth it., 30 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Magic Mike XXL (Amazon Video)
In a one-star review below, a man posts that we 'feminists' are perverts with double standards, and if 'the shoe was on the other foot' we would be furious. Well, we've seen Showgirls, and Striptease, and we've definitely seen many, many portrayals of female strippers in media. Only in this film the male entertainers are allowed to have personalities, to be encouraged by the women and treated as their intellectual and social equals, and to get a long sequence showing how much hard work and intense planning goes into those amazing shows. I would love to get a film about female strippers where the men laugh and scream and throw money...and also share personal stories and their private lives with the women, instead of treating them like objects. I think the direction and the writing of the film was as beautiful as the men dancing in it. Maybe it was more of a fantasy land than the first film, but sometimes you want a thoughtful exploration of social constructs by Steven Soderbergh, and sometimes you want a high-inducing, riotous romp of a film--like this one, and Ocean's Twelve, which this director Gregory Jacobs also did. TL;DR - I liked it, it was good, and that guy didn't know what he was talking about.

The Peregrine (New York Review Books Classics)
The Peregrine (New York Review Books Classics)
by J.A. Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars my absolute favourite book, 28 Oct. 2008
The first time I read this book, it jumped into my list of top five best books ever read. By the third time it was at number one.

The whole thing is lyrical, mesmerising and full of a strong sense of drama. All Baker does is go out and watch the peregrines. The birds exhibit normal bird behaviour: they fly, they hunt, they feed, they rest. Baker's prose infuses this daily ritual with a constant breathless beauty, and it sticks in your mind for ages after you've finished the book. He describes a nightjar's call as "a stream of wine spilling from a height into a deep and booming cask"; an owl's face as "grotesque, as though some lost and shrunken knight had withered to an owl"; the winter, when it arrives, as so cold that "Layers of ice seemed to shatter across my frozen face." Every single sentence in the book is beautiful and deeply affecting. It completely transcends category--it belongs in every library. I only wish there were an audio version so I could listen to it every day as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2008 4:17 PM GMT

The Unicorn
The Unicorn
by Nancy Hathaway

5.0 out of 5 stars The backbone of childhood, 14 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Unicorn (Hardcover)
I read this when I was eight and it has remained one of the most treasured books in my library since. No fluffy friendly Disney mascots here. The violent karkadann of Persian myth, the otherwordly Chinese ki'lin and the bloody but sensual Christian legends are an excellent antidote to silly children's junk like Whisper the Winged Unicorn. More of a history of the mythology, but with strong narrative and a wealth of images from every possible source.