Profile for RS > Reviews

RS (London)

Opal Wooden Foot Roller
Opal Wooden Foot Roller

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, great value massager, 10 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Opal Wooden Foot Roller (Misc.)
I used this for 10 mins a day at the kitchen table, and after 2 days the pain and crunchy/inflamed bits in my foot arch and ball and almost disappeared. I am going to keep it up for 5 mins most days, in case the pain comes back. This product worked amazingly well for me, better than i would have hoped - I highly recommend it! Also really liked the minimal, eco friendly packaging. Fab product!

The Realeat Guide to Vegetarian Living
The Realeat Guide to Vegetarian Living
by Peter Cox

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect guide to vegetarian/vegan living, 31 Jan. 2012
This book does what it says on the tin and more, it is the perfect guide to vegetarian and vegan living, especially if you are new to it all. Clear and very comprehensive info on health and nutrition, ingredients info plus interesting recipes from around the world. 3 useful indexes help you to look up info easily. Every veggie home should have one.

Santogold
Santogold
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic pop - try it, 31 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Santogold (Audio CD)
I loved some tracks on first listen, others took a while to warm to but I see their beauty now! Eclectic feel - indie, pop, punk, ska, reggae, hip hoppy R&B. This album is a cut above anything the pop world generally produces - its rawer and not afraid to be different. Catchy and upbeat music you'll soon be leaving on repeat...

The Ballad Of Lee Cotton
The Ballad Of Lee Cotton
by Christopher P. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - Read this!, 31 Jan. 2012
Amazing, humourous, original and intriguing story. Language is beautifully rich and rhythmic yet unpretentious and accessible. A couple of out of place words gave the author away as not being American but other than that Lee Cotton's voice sounds convincing. The only part I wasn't super keen on was the very end but don't let that put you off as this book is a joy that deserves to be read, shared and enjoyed the world over.

Shtetl Superstars - Funky Jewish Sounds
Shtetl Superstars - Funky Jewish Sounds

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky eclectic sounds, 27 Aug. 2010
I'm really pleased with this CD - a funky and varied mix of music, lots of fusion stuff as you'd expect - klezmer, hip hop and a rock-indie sound to some tracks. The opening tracks are some of the weakest I think, so don't let that put you off. Overall, an excellent buy.

Classixx 1400rpm Washing Machine (WAE28364)
Classixx 1400rpm Washing Machine (WAE28364)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great washing machine, 26 July 2010
I chose this washing machine from a local shop in Dronfield and they came and installed it for my in a few minutes, with no problems. The machine itself is really simple to use, looks good and most importantly gets clothes clean and well spun out.

My favourite cycle is the 'Mixed Load 30 degrees' where you can bung different fabrics in together (not super delicate stuff though), but most of your usual everyday laundry such as cotton underwear/tops, jeans, fleece etc. It only takes 44 minutes and is supposedly one of the most energy/water efficient cycles - always a bonus in my book.

You can also programme the machine (it's very very easy to do, and I'm not technically minded) to start or end a cycle at a particular time, eg when you get up in the morning or when you come in from work. I love being able to make the most of good clothes drying weather!

When the load finishes the machine beeps every 2-3 minutes to let you know, so that could be annoying if you have set a load on to finish in the middle of the night. The instruction manual describes how to over ride the alarm but I have not had any need personally to do this. I have read in other reviews that some people have found this difficult to do - so something to consider.

Overall the Bosch WAE28364 has impressed me and I would highly recommend it.

A Fine Balance
A Fine Balance
by Rohinton Mistry

5.0 out of 5 stars Devestating, inspiring, amazing, 20 May 2008
This review is from: A Fine Balance (Paperback)
Devestating, inspiring, amazing - this is defintely on my list of top ten fav books. You get a real insight into India's history and politics but through the human condition. The characters are complex and believable, the story beautifully written and awe making. I cried and cried at the warmth and goodness people have in their hearts and at the hopelessness and tragedy surrounding us. I emerged from this story a different person (I mean, I do after each book I read, but this was particularly pronounced). Everyone should read this once in their lives.

I Capture The Castle (Vintage Classics)
I Capture The Castle (Vintage Classics)
by Dodie Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky yet reassuringly familiar observations, 20 May 2008
I can barely remember what this book was about - in terms of storyline, nothing dramatic particularly happens, yet Cassandra's voice stays with me - her quirky yet reassuringly familiar feeling observations and thoughts on the world. She is a hugely likable character. I haven't read it in a while but can't recall thinking, like a couple of other reviewers, that she is 'consciously naive'. I think she is quite forthright and self assured in a good way. This book is short, quiet and very atmospheric; when I think of it I remember not the storyline but the feeling of nostalgia and affection it leaves me with.

A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers
A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers
by Xiaolu Guo

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, original format, 20 May 2008
Interesting and original format for a book. Story touching, compelling yet sometimes frustrating. Insights into British culture from a Chinese perspective both funny and interesting. This is a very readable, upfront book - I didn't feel the author was trying to do anything underhand with the story - it's honest in it's beauty and bleakness. 2 very different people coming together in what, at times, seems like a hopeless exercise. But then I'm sure lots of people have been there, or at least have an idea of what the author is getting at.