Profile for L. northover > Reviews

Content by L. northover

L. northover "Lisa" (Bournemouth)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Periodic Tales: The Curious Lives of the Elements
Periodic Tales: The Curious Lives of the Elements
by Hugh Aldersey-Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings it to life!, 10 Feb. 2011
I brought this book to help my son who is learning the periodic table. It has really brought it to life and he has been fascinated by the stories which are very engaging.

Haba Toys Marble Tin
Haba Toys Marble Tin
Offered by Wooden Toy Store Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Marbles in a tin to keep them all in one place, 15 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Haba Toys Marble TinP (Toy)
These marbles come in a nice tin, which is the main reason for the purchase - so they are easy to put away. They are pretty norma marbles apart from the tin!

Magical Thinking: True Stories
Magical Thinking: True Stories
by Augusten Burroughs

5.0 out of 5 stars Really are the funniest, 28 Dec. 2010
This collecton of short stories were the first audible books I brought. I listen to them while doing housework and they are so, so funny I found myself looking for more things to clean and tidy so I could keep listening. I have yet to find anther author who is so funny that I keep laughing out loud like this, He has even helped me to see the hilarity in lots of everyday events I would thoroughly recommend!

A Tiny Bit Marvellous
A Tiny Bit Marvellous
Offered by Audible Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and engaging, 28 Dec. 2010
I brought this as I enjoy listening to audio books whilst getting on with mundane tasks. It is narrated by Dawn French which was nice as she has a very expressive voice. I thought the book might be too light, but it wasn't , it had some interesting characters and subplots and it was very funny. very enjoyable and kept my attention

Festivals, Family and Food
Festivals, Family and Food
by Judy Large

3.0 out of 5 stars some nice little idea's, 27 Dec. 2010
This isn't a book for everyone. I found that there are lots of idea's at some times of the year, then nothing for other times. Also the festivals are not necessarily familiar as they are from older traditions. I found that a few nice little things can be picked out though, so it is still worth the money

La Riche Directions Semi-Permanent Hair Colour - 88ml
La Riche Directions Semi-Permanent Hair Colour - 88ml
Price: £1.70 - £21.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep colour, no stink easy to apply, 27 Dec. 2010
I have been using permanent hair dye for ages before using this. I wanted something more striking and was recommended this brand and was pleasantly surprised.
The tub of dye doesn't smell really at all, it is easy to come through your hair and doesn't drip all over the place. I wrap it up in clingfilm to stop any mess, but the dye doesn't stain your face and hands like others do.

I have dark hair so had highlights first, but the colour is still quite strong on the dark bits. This colour is a pinker re which I prefer, I had tried Flame and coral before but they were quite orange.

Go Wild!: 101 Things To Do Outdoors Before You Grow Up
Go Wild!: 101 Things To Do Outdoors Before You Grow Up
by Fiona Danks

5.0 out of 5 stars good for dreaming and some real idea's!, 27 Dec. 2010
I brought this book to keep my children busy in the garden through the summer. i was initially a bit disappointed as it describes how to go fishing etc. well beyond the garden! But the book came up trumps in the recent snow when my children's friends came around and spent the entire day making an igloo having apparently read about how to do it in this book, making bricks by filling plastic containers then making 'mortar' out of the snow.

Altogether the idea's in the book cannot be achieved in a suburban garden , but it is written in a way which engages and sticks, and you never know when it will be useful!

Darwin and Evolution for Kids: With 21 Activities: His Life and Ideas
Darwin and Evolution for Kids: With 21 Activities: His Life and Ideas
by Kristan Lawson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure who this is aimed at!, 27 Dec. 2010
I brought this for my children and we have sat and read it a few times. I was hoping that the 21 activities would be interesting for them, but they are not really things that kids can do easily. the text is quite sophisticated and there is a lot of it. We have looked at , and talked about the pictures which is nice, but I don't think this is the intention of the book.

There is one illustration in the book which I had not seen before which shows the foetal stage of lots of living thinks from humans to birds and it is amazing how they are all almost identical

The Political Brain: How People Vote and How to Change Their Minds: The Role of Emotion in Deciding the Fate of the Nation
by Drew Westen

3.0 out of 5 stars an important book , if you can keep awake, 27 Dec. 2010
This book was well recommended, and I am sure is a very important book for the future of campaigning however it just didn't hold my attention despite trying to read it a few times. I found other peoples reviews more useful in explaining what the book is about.

i would say it is better to send a friend with lots of time on their hands off to read it, then invite them around with a bottle of wine to explain all about it

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars comfy and flat with a bit of a lift, 27 Dec. 2010
These boots fit really well and are great if you walk a lot. They have a little but of a chunky heel with gives dome hight with no discomfort and without the clumpy look of many other flat boots like DM's so they are nice for smart wear. I have worn mine solidly for 2 winters. I ruined them a bit in the wet weather so they are not great for puddles, but given their durability and comfort i am still looking to buy a second pair

Page: 1 | 2 | 3