Profile for Rj Marquis > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know

5.0 out of 5 stars Wildhearts on DVD! Oh yes!!, 23 Sept. 2016
If, like me, you missed the chance to own the official DVD release of this show, this is the best possible answer. Not only do you get that DVD, but a CD version as well and for the money, that's not bad.
The DVD itself is extremely raw, extremely high energy and extremely good fun. It's a classic best of set (not something that Ginger always delivers) tight, noisy, singable tunes delivered to a typically loyal, manic Wildhearts crowd.
The Wildhearts are still a great band, but, they were never better than during this period.
I can't think of any reason why a Wildhearts fan would not have to have this, it might not be official, but that's not the fans fault.

Bury Me In My Boots
Bury Me In My Boots

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid 'grown up' second album!, 5 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Bury Me In My Boots (MP3 Download)
I was waiting for the postman to drop this through the door. It went on as soon as my tremblin fingers could get the wrapper off! And? Oh yes!!
First couple of tracks just put a big stupid grin on my face. Then, something strange happened. Was this TCT growing up a bit? well, certainly not lyrically thats for sure, good job too. But musically, well, yes, I think there is a little bit more thought going on here than Tennessee Mojo. And that's no bad thing. These guys are a real talent and it would be a shame if they just got labeled as a good time southern bar band, they really are much more than that.
I find that this is not as instant and not as heavy as the last album. It may take a few more listens to really get into, but after just one play you know its all there. The title track, Party like you, the very tounge in cheek Peace love and dixie, which blatantly uses the same riff from 'i'm southern' but i'm sure with a smile and a wink, through to a very fine Runnin Red Lights, there is superb stuff to be found here.
TCT have come through their 'difficult second album' with flags flying and just enough of change to give you thought, but not to make you run away.
It's like the difference between Jim Beam and Gentleman Jack!

Why only 4 stars? well, i must agree with other comments posted, I would have rather seen new songs other than already released ones, but, minor gripe. Se you boys in November!

Tennessee Mojo
Tennessee Mojo

5.0 out of 5 stars YEEEE and very much HAWWWW!!!, 29 July 2016
This review is from: Tennessee Mojo (MP3 Download)
How many times do you play an album for the first time and every single song sticks in your head? How many albums are played again and again after the first listen?
I can name a handful if i'm being really honest Appetite For Destruction? Hysteria? Piece Of Mind? Think about it and be honest, not many really.
I can't remember the last time I scratched my head and thought 'damn, I love EVERY song' and then came along Tennessee Mojo. This, my friends, is prime southern rock, but, don't think for one minuet that this is all sitting on your porch sipping a cold one watching the sun go down. Sure, it has it's mellow side, but it also has plenty of attitude, this is an album sitting in a bar just daring you to say the wrong thing so that it can take you outside and whip your ass! And it would win, trust me.
It's a real joy for the ears, treading a very nice line between country rock and metal. It has respect for it's heritage (Skynerd, Steve Earl) while being very much of today.
If I have one complaint, it's that I just can't stop playing the damn thing. Oh, and live, they completely kick ass!
If you like southern rock, but want it with a harder edge, this is the album for you, can not wait for the follow up!

Inglorious
Inglorious

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a classic, 8 July 2016
This review is from: Inglorious (Audio CD)
The first thing that strikes you on first hearing this album, is just how BIG the sound is. It is HUGE, simply thundering out of the speakers, a massive, meaty sound, full of arrogant confidence, delivered with plenty of class.
And so it should be. Faultless musicianship and vocals. The music shamelessly gives a respectful bow to classic rock, was this recorded 10 years ago? If it was, they would have been massive overnight. Ask someone who didn't know when it was released and i'll bet they say the 90s.
And that's no bad thing for those of us who enjoy classy, heavy rock.
A very good album indeed, no question. Any instant stand out tracks? well, not really, it's all very good, not going to be a classic, but, well worth having. This, I think, will be a grower!

Access All Areas
Access All Areas

3.0 out of 5 stars like me, you re-discovered the criminaly underated 'Amigos' album ..., 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Access All Areas (Audio CD)
This is an interesting addition to the Lindisfarne collection. If, like me, you re-discovered the criminaly underated 'Amigos' album some years after it's release, then this should be a natural choice. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work. The recording took place in a TV studio, although for the most part it does look for all the world like a small club gig, this takes away all the spontaneity and fun that came with an inevitably beer fueled audience that made Lindisfarne shows such a treat to be part of. I wouldn't have wanted to part of this one!
The song choice is pretty sound, a few new songs mixed with a couple of interesting covers, did remind me of seeing this tour at the time. But, once again, Lindisfarne live was all about the event and that's where this release slips up.
I was looking forward to hearing the Amigos tracks performed live, but, the band look uncomfortable and not too sure how to approach the event. I'm still not convinced by the 'new' members either, musically, great, but did the band really need the extra bass player? Cabaret circuit anyone?
For Lindersfarne completists, yes, get it. Not sure how many times I'll be watching or listening to this though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2015 1:09 PM GMT

Monster
Monster

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a Monster!! If you believe everything Kiss tell you., 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Monster (Audio CD)
After the huge critical success of Sonic Boom, Kiss went into ultra-hype overdrive (as only Kiss know how to do with ease) to prepare us for what they had us believe was something huge, a total band collaberation of planet dwarfing, foot stomping, stadium destroying magnitude the likes of not witnessed since the mid 70's. Yes, if you believed Gene and Paul, Sonic Boom was mearly a taster of what they (and the other two blokes) were capable of.
Are you ready for a Monster baby? Awwwwwwww Right world, you wanted the best, you got...well, err, an ok rock album really, sorry world.
There is no daubt when listening to Sonic Boom and Monster back to back, that SB is by far the better album. More instantly memorable songs, great hooks, punchy silly typical Kiss fare, the only thing was, we had'nt had a Kiss album this good for a long, long time.
So whats wrong with Monster? well, nothing actually. It's a perfectly decent hard rock album. It certainly contains many Kiss signitures that we all love. If you were to mix a couple of tracks from Monster and slip them onto SB, you probably would'nt notice.
It's not an instant hit the first time you hear it, it does, I admit, grow on you, the unfortunate thing is, that after a few tracks the temptation is to put SB on instead, and play it louder!
This almost feels like the tracks that did'nt quite make it onto SB, maybe as a bonus disc it would have worked.
Is it worth all the hype, no, not really. Lets not even mention the dreadful cover art (with a title like that and a band like that, how did they come up with something that lame?)
Not a bad Kiss record, but definately not a Monster.

Magnum -Livin' The Dream [DVD] [2011]
Magnum -Livin' The Dream [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Magnum

2.0 out of 5 stars You had to be there...., 19 Feb. 2013
To put things into a little perspective,I am a Magnum fan, I've seen them live many, many times (first show 1983)and most recently on the Moonking tour. Just to let you know, I do like the band, which is why this hurts to say, what on earth happened here?

The chance to have a well filmed show on dvd, great, lots of facinating extras, excited, the fact that on the cover it says '1978-2005' well, this must mean an in depth retrospective including rare and archive footage, interviews with past and present members, fans memories, maybe even famous muso admirers. Ok, thats what I was hoping for, not gonna happen guys.

First the live footage. Now, I was'nt at the shows as nearly all the previous reviewers seemed to have been, and thats maybe why everyone is praising the quality of the filming (with all those cameras!) Yes, it's ok, nice and clear apart from the rear of house shots when you get a lovely line right across the screen, I thought my copy had a fault until I realised it was the glare from the follow spots (such a shame they missed that and with all those cameras too...) and this is where I guess that you really had to be there, the footage and performance starts well enough but it does'nt take long for it to get a little tired and stiff, definately not the best I've seen the band perform (try the live dvd from Birmingham, much better show)I struggled to keep interested in it, I remember how exciting Storytellers was live the first time round and it still sounds fresh on cd, so how they manage to make something so great trudge along with little warmth or passion, is anyones guess. My personal view is it would have been much better as the first half of the set, but anyway..

The extras. This is where I really did feel let down. As I mentioned earlier, why put 78-05 on the front if your not going to look at early Magnum history? The interviews are dull and uninspired, not the bands fault at all, good questions and slick editing would certainly have helped. The tour footage told us very little, and as someone who works backstage, this is always a favourite area for me. And please, please don't talk to random fans if they have nothing to say, just irritating.
That said, it is good fun watching the videos, many, which I had'nt seen before
This was a great oppertunity missed, if you were there, I'm sure it does the job for you, if, like me, you were'nt, then don't expect too much.
I will keep waiting for someone to do that documentary on this much loved band...hmmm, wheres my camera!

Mystify [DVD] [2010] [NTSC]
Mystify [DVD] [2010] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Inxs
Offered by jim-exselecky

3.0 out of 5 stars Not classic INXS, 7 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Mystify [DVD] [2010] [NTSC] (DVD)
I bought this dvd on the strengh of the reviews. I saw the band on this tour, and like others, thought that it would be a great record of the last few live outings featuring the irreplacible Hutch.
The footage was filmed as part of a festival, the stage and outdoor arena are not your typical set up and it has more of a 'TV special' feel to it, there is none of the bands tour production or lighting, just what was set up for the festival.
The band seem relaxed and appear to be having fun (apart from the evil glances when the sound engineer forgets to turn up the sax!) Michael is in a cheeky and mischievous mood, flirting and having fun with the crowd, very chilled out, maybe too chilled out? This is not a patch on his performance on the Live Baby Live DVD, yes, I know that was Wembley, but his vocal is nowhere as good.
A good few songs from the latest album of that time are featured and actually fair better than the older 'hits', they struggle a little, it's almost like the band feel obliged to play them rather than want to play them (not at all like that when I saw them)
So, a pleasant enough set, not in anyway a classic, if they were off to a party that night to celebrate Gary Beers birthday, I'd have to say I think Hutch had a sneeky head start.
The shame is, there is a full concert from the Kick tour filmed in San francisco out there somewhere and it's stunning, please someone release that!
If you can pick this up dirt cheap, great, but don't pay full price.

Caught in the Act Live
Caught in the Act Live
Offered by Smaller World Future

4.0 out of 5 stars Lindisfarntastic!!!!, 11 July 2011
This review is from: Caught in the Act Live (Audio CD)
This is a real little belter of an album. Many years ago, in the dim and distant past, Lindisfarne were one of the best live rock bands on the touring circuit, no argument! I remember seeing them around 83' a couple of times and much of the material on this live recording was then new songs that for some reason did'nt make it onto studio records. Frustrating that there were such great song writing from Hull (legend)that we only got to hear at the concerts, Moving House, Taxman, Mr Inbetween, all worthy of space on an album. As luck would have it, the band did have these as live recordings that were released as 'Lindisfarntastic II' These, together with some classic live standards, make up this CD. As part of the legendary Xmas tour of 83', when you bought your ticket, you received a voucher which entitled you to one copy of 'Lindisfarntastic Live' (I still have my copy and the voucher!) I'm not sure, but I think that the classic material found here might be cuts from that live album.
This is worth buying just to have the the tracks I've mentioned, but as a live record of Lindisfarne early 80's, it's pretty damn good. Nice production, great audience, although it does drift at times during the obligotary participation segments, we know it was fab when you were there after several beers, maybe not now in your living room.
Great stuff anyhow.

Live At River Plate [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Live At River Plate [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ AC/DC

4.0 out of 5 stars Thats the way I wanna rock n roll!!, 13 Jun. 2011
Concert DVDs can often be very dissapointing things, even if you were there at the actual event. Very few manage to capture the atomospher, extremly difficult to put across the excitement on camera, it's a clever balance of clear footage, good camera angles and spot on sound that conveys the volume of the band and that of the screaming crowd. After being a bit dissapointed after buying the live at donnington dvd, would this be just another clinical document of what should be one of the most powerful live bands ever? No worries mate. Where as the donnington film tends to make you feel slightly detached from the action this puts you slap bang in the middle of what must be the craziest rock audience ever! Thankfully, it does'nt leave you there to be trampled to death by mental argintians, effortlesly, you are whiped up and taken soring to the very back of the stunning stadium, then flung breathless down onto the stage, rubbing shoulders with Angus as he duckwalks his way through a faultless performance.
The editing never makes you feel lost, it never chops about too quickly, making it a very easy show to watch, although I did find the split screen a little diverting.
After so many years and soooo many shows, this is a band absolutly at the top of their game, very slick, perfectly tight, they don't hesitate to deliver exactly what the crowd want, there will always be moans about set lists, I for one was'nt dissapointed at all at wembley and left with a big stupid grin on my face. Hey, it's a rock n roll band, not a juke box, it's their job and they are very good at it, so let them chose the set!
My only moan is the extras, when you look at the footage it's obvious that they had enough to make a mini 'flight666' type documentary about the backstage crew and all the logistics that go into putting a show like this on, Rush manged it with 'the boys in brazil' from the live in rio dvd, facinating to watch. Instead, we get tantilising bits of the technical and the crew and then lots of irritating and pointless footage of screaming argintinians telling us how AC/DC saved their lives and showing us their tatoos, nice to see once, but way too much.
This will go down as one of the great concert dvds, unlike many, it will get watched again and again and again...........

Page: 1 | 2